DCC 3.5 and 4E conversions to 5e

Discuss our growing line of all-new adventure modules for 5E.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

tadkil
Far-Sighted Wanderer

DCC 3.5 and 4E conversions to 5e

Post by tadkil »

I ran my son & his friends through the starter set (3 guys and 2 gals ages 13-17). They had a great time and really like 5E.

The kids came rolling out of the game room with The Gazetteer of the Known Realms & a stack of my modules. They want me to convert some over for them to play in 5E. My son has watched me judge the 3.5 stuff and sat in on my DCC RPG game with my wife's and my friends. He respects the material and he ran some of the 4E stuff for his buddies before they declared 4E "like WOW only busted."

Any suggestions? In a perfect world I would reboot the campaign and start them in Castle Whiterock. However, they are committed to their current characters, who are all 6th. I am thinking about re-tooling The Scaly God or The Secret of Smuggler's Cove. I am also considering The Vampire's Vengeance

Any thoughts?
tadkil
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: DCC 3.5 and 4E conversions to 5e

Post by tadkil »

Tried to post this in the Google group and had the post deleted as non-DCCRPG, which I can understand. The kids decided to reboot with new characters and play the full Castle Whiterock. I am kind of excited. I will post conversion notes in my Blog and link them here.
Last edited by tadkil on Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

You might make sure they keep their current characters as possible replacements as they trek through CW... :twisted:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Rick Maffei
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rick Maffei »

Happy to help via advice if you decide to give Scaly God a 5e whirl. Happy gaming!
DCC #26 The Scaly God
DCC #60 Thrones of Punjar
Monstercology: Orcs
Age of Cthulhu 2: Madness in London Town
Co-author Age of Cthulhu 5: The Long Reach of Evil
Co-author 2006, 2007, 2008 Tourney DCCs

Visit Rick's RPG Blog Jabberwock's Rest
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

From the title, I thought this thread would be a discussion of how to convert. I have some d20 DCC modules I'd like to convert to 5E, as well as a couple of Pathfinder modules. Anyone have any quick conversion rules?

My initial thought was simply to replace d20/PF monsters with the same thing from my 5E Monster Manual, but I'm sure there are some that don't exist in both rule sets.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
tadkil
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by tadkil »

I think we really need the DMG to be able to develop solid guidelines. I am converting by eyeballing to hit vs. AC. I have a HP/rd methodology I developed in 2nd edition.

Basically, Ave party AC vs to hit value of monsters. This gets me an ave hit percentage. Multiply that by ave damage times number of critters. Then compare back to party HP.

So if the goblins hit AC 15 45% of the time and do 4HP on average and there 6 of them... .45 x 4 x 6 =10.5 hp round.

I compare that back against the total party HP. Any group of critters that can do more than 25% of the parties AC in a round is scary. Anything down to 10% is reasonable.

This isn't perfect but has always worked for me as a good thumbnail. I can also tell you with a straight face Dave Arneson approved.

Return to “Fifth Edition Fantasy - Adventure Modules”