DCChammer

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

DCChammer

Post by catseye yellow »

anyone tried to DCCify wfrp old world? there are some obvious similarities (chaos, lethality, magis is unreliable, mutations...) and yet there are differences (grimdarky, gunpowder...).

how would you do it? what about patrons? classes? some changes? some changes to the game world?
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: DCChammer

Post by JediOre »

catseye yellow wrote:anyone tried to DCCify wfrp old world?
What are you talking about? I do not understand "wfrp old world."

Puzzled. :?
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

setting for warhammer fantasy roleplay. it is called the old world.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhamme ... _(setting)
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Thanks, makes sense.
Golgothmog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Golgothmog »

Not sure if this counts but there's a version of Lustria in my homebrew DCC setting... not that anyone's gotten there yet... and I'm not sure if the rest of the Warhammer setting should be accessible from there or not (no one I play with would recognize it).

Lustria has jungles, volcanoes, dinosaurs, Slann (alien frogmen), Amazons, Pygmies (who are aliens as well), Northmen explorers, creepy corrupt Dark Elves... ancient high-tech ruins all over the place... lizardmen/troglodyte caverns underneath it all.
It's pretty much Land of the Lost on shrooms.
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

it counts, at least in my book. what do you think about patrons in warhammer setting? chaos gods? malekith? teclis? nagash? or some other entities?
cjoepar
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by cjoepar »

The closest I've come to making use of anything WH related is a few adventures in 3E where the party repeatedly ran into some Dark Eldar slavers. I have used Beastmen extensively in both 3E and DCC, too.

As far as potential Patrons go, geeze, pretty much any of the deities would make a great patron.
Ddogwood
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ddogwood »

It really depends which version of the Warhammer universe you want to run. If you go back to the 1st edition WFRP and 1st-2nd editions of WFB, then the DCC RPG can work with virtually no changes. Just add in the appropriate deities and patrons.

In later editions of the games, the tone became more heroic fantasy, and less weird/dark/gonzo. Characters in the wargame were larger-than-life heroes, and although the 2nd Ed. RPG tried to keep the darker tone, it definitely had overtones of heroic fantasy woven into it. Frankly, I wouldn't bother trying to run those versions of the world with DCC, because a game like D&D 3.x/4e or mathfinder is a better fit. Or, you know, the 2nd or 3rd editions of WFRP.

I guess the other question is why do you want to use DCC? Are there DCC adventures that you want to run without converting? Or is there a specific mechanic you want to use?
donpimpom
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by donpimpom »

Ddogwood wrote:I guess the other question is why do you want to use DCC?
Well, I played a lot WFRPG(1st ed) many many years ago, and a couple of years ago grasped by nostalgia we went back to it and realized the main rulesystem is a bit clunky for nowaday standards.
So, to pick de DCC mechanics and plug them into de WFRPG setting doesn't seems a bad idea, but then you will lose the PC careers system which is one of the big things of the game.
In the other hand this ruleset (1st ed WFRPG) has some of the best rpg campaigns I ever played
Golgothmog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Golgothmog »

catseye yellow wrote:What do you think about patrons in warhammer setting? chaos gods? malekith? teclis? nagash? or some other entities?
The various Chaos gods and Nagash make sense... Malekith and Teclis don't feel right as Patrons to me, but I'd have to read up on them some more.
In my version of Lustria the old Slann Lord Kroak (basically a huge mummified toad-man on a floating platform) is one. The Pygmies have various totem-gods that serve the purpose... snake, spider, scorpion, etc. There's also the coatl and Rigg (the Amazons' goddess, named after Diana Rigg)... some nasty Tsathoggua type thing down in the darkness with the Lizardmen.
The presence of the Northmen colonies opens up versions of Norse gods... Loki seems he'd make a fun Patron.
I don't know much about the Dark Elves but it seems like they'd have some nasty powerful beings to follow.

I'm mostly going off of the old WFB... 1-3 and original WFRP setting, when things were weird and written more for the cool-factor and less for marketing concerns... but I think I remember reading that the Skaven burrowed into Lustria as well and I've always liked them as a beastman variant... so I've got scattered notes on making them a possible PC race as well as the Slann and Pygmies and Amazons.

Return to “DCC RPG General”