Mutant Crawl Classics (??)

Mutant Crawl Classics is the warped, mutant sci-fi twin to DCC. All Plantients, Manimals, Mutants and PSH are welcome here...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

aquabob79
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re: Mutant Crawl Classics (??)

Post by aquabob79 »

Friends,

As exciting as the Metamorphosis Alpha Kickstarter may be for some, I must be honest here . . . I would rather support a DCCRPG-Compatible game - such as Mutant Crawl Classics RPG - instead of an $80 book (with a cover I really don't care for) that won't fit on my shelf anyway, the core of which is already available for $6 in .pdf. Usually I am on board with Joseph's nefarious schemes to bring the old school to life, but this was a miss in my opinion.

One of the things that set DCC RPG wonderfully apart from many other OSR products, is the writers' intention to go to the Appendix N source material, not just make another OD&D or AD&D clone. That's what I would like in a Sci-Fi or Post-Apocalyptic game, not just a reprint (even if it is beautiful reprint with lots of extras). I do love that there will be new MA modules, but I would be much more excited if they were dual-statted (MA and DCC/MCC RPG). Maybe that could be a stretch-goal, though I suspect that it is too late for any module/s already printed. Maybe I'm way off base here and MA is already compatible with DCC RPG - it has been years since I played MA - please let me know if that is the case.

To Jim, I say: Keep it up! There are those of us who would love to see this Mutant Crawl Classics RPG thing made a reality (and talk about a gorgeous cover!). And to the Goodman Games team, keep it up too! You sure do make some exciting products, even if the Metamorphosis Alpha line leaves me a little cold.

Peace,
Bob
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Doug Kovacs wrote:facts:

1. This is very real. I have seen it.

2. I've painted the cover for Jim. It will be up to him to share it publicly.

2. Jim has already put a lot of work and play testing into MCC and he is coming from a most sincere place with it.

3. Joseph Goodman is fully aware of whats going on, but has yet to commit to anything, including release dates.

4. This is extent of my current knowledge.
I can corroborate all of this, except #3 and #4. Lol.

I've seen it as well. The cover too. It's brilliant. I got to read through most of it. But haven't said anything b/c I've been waiting for the Mad Mage to make an announcement.

It's pretty much everything awesome you thought you remembered from Gamma World back in the day but wasn't really there.

Jim did a slam dunk on this thing. Very well done. Can't wait to get a copy.
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

Id support a Mutant Crawl Classics Kickstarter! :D

Id like to hear more about this. Gamma World is a favorite of mine.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

I am super pumped for Metamorphosis Alpha and Mutant Crawl Classics (hopefully MCC comes to fruition). I would have preferred a thicker book with bigger print, versus an oversized book, but the extras that are included look awesome, so I had to back it. I would back MCC as well!
darjr
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by darjr »

I'm a MA kickstarter backer, and I want the MCC as well. I will use the MA setting with the MCC rules.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

DM Cojo wrote:I am super pumped for Metamorphosis Alpha and Mutant Crawl Classics (hopefully MCC comes to fruition). I would have preferred a thicker book with bigger print, versus an oversized book, but the extras that are included look awesome, so I had to back it. I would back MCC as well!
Well, I think the decision was one of (1) absolute reproduction of the original or (2) a new edition of the rules. Another company is already doing a new edition so that is sort of being covered already.

If the plan had been to adjust font size without changing the material inside, then an entirely new layout would have been required. That's a totally different project, and one that I hope Goodman Games eventually decides to puruse.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Blood Axe wrote:AWESOME ART! Hope this becomes a reality soon.
I would definitely buy this or support it on KS.
Indeed.
darjr
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by darjr »

Could the MCC ruleset exist as a goal on the MA kickstarter?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

darjr wrote:Could the MCC ruleset exist as a goal on the MA kickstarter?
Well, since the MA thing is getting closer to ending, and the MCC thing is from a totally different person, I'd guess 'no'.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
darjr
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by darjr »

GnomeBoy wrote:
darjr wrote:Could the MCC ruleset exist as a goal on the MA kickstarter?
Well, since the MA thing is getting closer to ending, and the MCC thing is from a totally different person, I'd guess 'no'.
sure, but I surmise that MCC would come from goodman games, same as the MA kickstarter, and a great out of left field stretch goal can be fantastic for a kickstarter.

but yea, I'm doing some wishful thinking.
Mad Mage
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Mad Mage »

I appreciate the kind words, but must reiterate that MCC is in early playtests and isn't even an official product yet, much less ready for any kind of release. That's all Joseph's call, and he will determine when and if anything comes of it.

Meantime, there's lots of real stuff we can all go support, like the MA kickstarter - let's unlock those upper tier stretch goals!
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” ~ E. Gary Gygax
Semi-Retired Gamer
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Wizard's Asylum

Post by Semi-Retired Gamer »

Mad Mage wrote:I appreciate the kind words, but must reiterate that MCC is in early playtests and isn't even an official product yet, much less ready for any kind of release. That's all Joseph's call, and he will determine when and if anything comes of it.

Meantime, there's lots of real stuff we can all go support, like the MA kickstarter - let's unlock those upper tier stretch goals!
I hear you loud and clear but MCC sounds awesome!!!!!
Charlie
----------------------------------------------------
I (mainly) blog about role-playing topics at The Semi-Retired Gamer.

Reading: The Lair of Bones by David Farland.
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Blood Axe »

Semi-Retired Gamer wrote:
Mad Mage wrote:I appreciate the kind words, but must reiterate that MCC is in early playtests and isn't even an official product yet, much less ready for any kind of release. That's all Joseph's call, and he will determine when and if anything comes of it.

I hear you loud and clear but MCC sounds awesome!!!!!

Remember those old commercials " I want my MTV !"

I want my MCC! :D
themightyeroc
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by themightyeroc »

I think MCC should be something that gets used in the much anticipated DCC Annuals. That seems like the true fit for it. In the meantime show support for the Metamorphosis Alpha Kickstarter even if it is just 1 dollar, or $10 and get yourself the Android Undelord adventure.

All of this stuff is awesome and the possibilities are as endless as your imagination!
Ah well, who wants to live forever? DIE!
worldoferoc.blogspot.com
thistledownjohn
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by thistledownjohn »

I want to buy MCC...now. :D
JonHook
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Tabletop Games and 31st Century Games

Post by JonHook »

thistledownjohn wrote:I want to buy MCC...now. :D
+1
vogless
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by vogless »

+1!
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Blood Axe »

+2 :D
ThickSkullAdv
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by ThickSkullAdv »

Let me know if you guys need any help with playtesting/proofreading/editing/etc. I was so excited when the "Gamma Crawl Classics" community opened up on G+, but, like many open-source type projects, people's Day Job's seem to have gotten into the way of its advancement. Looking forward to MCC and will go on record that I'll back any kickstarter for it.
Caffiend
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Caffiend »

Mad Mage wrote:I made an early decision to personally commission some art from Doug, and then followed through on that commitment because, really, who wouldn't want their very own Kovacs piece to hang on their wall? :mrgreen: Doug's magnificent efforts shouldn't be construed as anything besides a personal art commission by me, which I'm happy to share...
Jim, you've talked so much about this piece, I'd been meaning to ask if you had a photo of it... Didn't realize this was the commission! I see what you mean about the color choices being dead-on.
~Judge Jen
Spellburner, Keeper of Mysteries, and Chief Acolyte* for DCC RPG

*the Dark Master said so!
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Blood Axe »

Any news on this? Hows it coming? Maybe a sneak peek or some more art?
Reidzilla
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Reidzilla »

Any chance of playing at Gencon?
crawlingunderabrokenmoon.blogspot.com
A fanzine dedicated to bringing gonzo post apocalyptic content for the Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG.
Mad Mage
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Mad Mage »

There's a chance - I'll be driving up Friday and Saturday. Maybe at DougCon?
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” ~ E. Gary Gygax
Wayfaring_Sword
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Wayfaring_Sword »

Who would one need to bribe to get a seat at this "DougCON" of which you speak? ;)
The Wayfaring Sword

DCC Playtest 2011: Dicehead Games
The 13th Skull Playtest: Saved the duke's daughter
Notable DCC Character: Throdd the Slayer
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Doug Kovacs »

Bribes aren't accepted. It is best to have some jokes and your thinking cap on, lest I accuse you of being the least creative person in the room.

Just be in the embassy suites bar/ lobby/ open gaming area in Indianapolis each night over Gen Con. You can check in with me at my table in the art show during the day too to see if I have any more solid details. You actually should just go to the art show if you are at Gen Con anyway.
DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
http://dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
http://dougkovacs.com/dkblog/

Return to “Mutant Crawl Classics RPG”