Dispel Magic

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Stretch
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Dispel Magic

Post by Stretch »

Curious as to how you handle Dispel Magic when it comes to caster's and their own spells. For instance, if a caster casts enlarge on himself, he is 3rd lvl so it would last about 30 mins. He does this in a fight that lasts 10 mins. After the fight, he needs to walk down the corridor but he is too tall. Can he dispel his own spell without dispel magic? If he has dispel magic, does he roll against his spellcheck for the enlarge to dispel or is it automatic? What is the general consensus on this.
-Stretch
If you survive a crucible you grow the stronger for it. - Arrow.
Tortog
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Dispel Magic

Post by Tortog »

My understanding is that there's no hard rule covering this aspect of casting; as such it is entirely a matter of play style. For my games I've always assumed that spell casters (arcane & divine) have the ability to dismiss spells that they have cast even if it is upon someone else; unless the spell entry says otherwise. So in your example, the wizard could dismiss the spell's effects as soon as they were no longer needed. On the other hand, casting a sleep spell with a 28 and invoking the 'supernatural sleep' that can only be interrupted by a specific condition is beyond the control of the caster unless they name themselves as the only one who can break the cursed sleep.
oncelor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by oncelor »

We don't allow casters to dismiss their own spells. I find this makes the characters think twice about casting spells like "Enlarge." :)

I generally rule that proper magic spells persist after the caster dies, but that many supernatural-type monstrous abilities are broken on the death of the supernatural-type monster.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

If you want to dismiss your spell, you can always try to cast it in reverse with 1d16....... :D
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Zenitii
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Zenitii »

For me - you can't dispel unless stated in description, that caster can end the effect. I think I'll adopt the idea of casting the reverse spell with d16, sounds pretty good.
losloris
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: trig

Post by losloris »

I have a huge problem in my understanding of this spell. It works like this: I do not. Worse, in all of the sessions I have ever played I can not fully remember anyone using this spell.

Am I to understand that if a bad guy (5th level mage) casts a fireball on the party and the party mage saves he can then cast dispel magic and the whole thing is undone?

Seriously, I do not know this.

Losloris
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

losloris wrote:I have a huge problem in my understanding of this spell. It works like this: I do not. Worse, in all of the sessions I have ever played I can not fully remember anyone using this spell.

Am I to understand that if a bad guy (5th level mage) casts a fireball on the party and the party mage saves he can then cast dispel magic and the whole thing is undone?

Seriously, I do not know this.

Losloris
No. If the BBEG casts a fireball, the PC wizard can cast dispel magic and enter into a spellduel with the BBEG. If he waits until after the fireball is resolved, ongoing effects might be dispelled (for example, it the fireball had a delayed blast), but that's it.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
VernaShield
Gongfarmer
FLGS: geming zone

Post by VernaShield »

For me - you can't dispel unless stated in description, that caster can end the effect. I think I'll adopt the idea of casting the reverse spell with d16, sounds pretty good.
Get More Info phenq

Return to “Magic and Spells”