What DCC Needs Is.....

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

MonsterSlayer
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: What DCC Needs Is.....

Post by MonsterSlayer »

This is all completely subjective and I know my arguments are completely selfish, but the OP asked. I have stalked this forum enough to understand all of the arguments but it just boils down to time with me. It would be so cool to have the stats and pictures to go with the DCC flavor. I'm sorry, I love the random creature generator so much but I don't have the time anymore. The same reason for the campaign book, I love to draw maps, etc. but I don't have the time anymore.

So I would second both the Monster Manual and Campaign book. I just want the product already chock full of DCC goodness ready to go.

Thankfully there are the awesome adventures (the reason we play this game) but, I would still like something between pre-published adventure and do-it-yourself from scratch campaign.

I would buy the beginner box too especially if it came with a full set of dice, but lower on my list.

I would also buy an officially licensed miniature line inspired by DCC produced by a company such as Reaper as well... but that's a whole other hornet's nest to rattle.
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

sniderman wrote:
fanditch wrote:....a MONSTER MANUAL!
http://www.rpgnow.com/product/112841/Cr ... 6-Denizens
I have this in the softcover book format, and it is an excellent resource!
pachristian
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by pachristian »

A "pocket edition" of the rules. This would be a smaller book (perhaps trade paperback sized), with little artwork, but containing all the rules from the big book. Wizard spells would be in a second small book, and clerical spells in a third. I like DCC, but it's difficult to flip through the rulebook when you need to make a hasty GM call on something. I use (and love) the Purple Sorcerer games "Crawler" App, but that only takes you so far.
fanditch
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by fanditch »

I too ordered Critters Creatures & Denizens. It is a quality piece of work and I highly recommend it. The creatures therein have a lot of detail, and you can use as much of the detail as you wish. Pick it up and you will instantly have 200-ish more monsters at your beck and call. Nice work, J. A. Rhodes-Gloor!
Lord Kjeran
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Lord Kjeran »

DM Screen. :)
"It was an age of dark beliefs and of practises that were no less dark; and witchcraft and sorcery were rampant throughout the land, among all classes."
Clark Ashton Smith, "The Necromantic Tale"
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Lord Kjeran wrote:DM Screen. :)
Two screens, like the old AD&D screens or like DCC #39 (with an adventure included).
Lord Kjeran
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Lord Kjeran »

Exactly like DCC 39! I use that one even for games that aren't 3.5. It caused confusion when I was running Heroes Unlimited at a con one year and that was my screen. :)
"It was an age of dark beliefs and of practises that were no less dark; and witchcraft and sorcery were rampant throughout the land, among all classes."
Clark Ashton Smith, "The Necromantic Tale"
Semi-Retired Gamer
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Wizard's Asylum

Post by Semi-Retired Gamer »

Lots of good ideas in this thread! I keep thinking "Hell Yeah" every time I read DM Screen, Campaign Setting, Monster Manual, and a beginners box with a full set of dice so...

How 'bout I'll take one of...each! 8) :wink:
Charlie
----------------------------------------------------
I (mainly) blog about role-playing topics at The Semi-Retired Gamer.

Reading: The Lair of Bones by David Farland.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Lord Kjeran wrote:Exactly like DCC 39! I use that one even for games that aren't 3.5. It caused confusion when I was running Heroes Unlimited at a con one year and that was my screen. :)

Yep, I too use the screens for my Castles & Crusades game. The C&C screen (the older one that is a tri-fold and not printed in a landscape format) is on my left, obscuring the adventure module while one of the DCC 39 screens is on my right hiding my dice, notes, and my tea pot full of whatever hot tea I've got a hankering for (we evil DMs can't be letting wimpy players at my loose leaf tea! :lol: )
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

For those of you who didn't attend the "What's New at Goodman Games" seminar at Gary Con, I might mention a couple of things.

(1) Joseph showed some concept art and mentioned that for a GM screen one would need artwork that could be viewed up close and far away, so the concept of a GM screen is certainly on his radar.

(2) He also mentioned that he had a couple of projects to get worked through, then wanted to turn his attention to the "annual." He suggested that such a book might be targeted for release by the end of the year if things go as expected.

Nothing firm on either topic, you understand, but at least both were addressed. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

new spellburn is more or less recording of gg seminar.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Needs Chuck Norris as a sponsor and a Campaign setting.
ajtheronin
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by ajtheronin »

Hole in the sky is from Sabotage. :)

We will be able to get the modules anyways if we can't participate on the KS campaign, right?
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Doug Kovacs »

finarvyn wrote:
For those of you who didn't attend the "What's New at Goodman Games" seminar at Gary Con, I might mention a couple of things.

(1) Joseph showed some concept art and mentioned that for a GM screen one would need artwork that could be viewed up close and far away, so the concept of a GM screen is certainly on his radar.

(2) He also mentioned that he had a couple of projects to get worked through, then wanted to turn his attention to the "annual." He suggested that such a book might be targeted for release by the end of the year if things go as expected.

Nothing firm on either topic, you understand, but at least both were addressed. 8)

Marv interprets seeing a 95% complete painting as concept art …. thanks Marv (with sarcasm)

I'll try to post some images of the stuff at the seminar soon and throw a link up here.
DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
http://dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
http://dougkovacs.com/dkblog/
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

please do. i am reluctant to scan social networks for them.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Doug Kovacs wrote:
finarvyn wrote:Joseph showed some concept art and mentioned that for a GM screen one would need artwork that could be viewed up close and far away, so the concept of a GM screen is certainly on his radar.
Marv interprets seeing a 95% complete painting as concept art …. thanks Marv (with sarcasm).
Ouch. Guess that came out wrong, eh, Doug? Try to keep in mind that I'm a cartoonist and not an actual artist. :oops: (Removes dagger from Doug's back and tries to stab it into own heart. :wink: )

I didn't mean to indicate that the art looked unfinished, only that I got the impression that the GM screen was still unfinished. I knew that the one piece shown was intended for the screen, but I don't recall seeing other artwork to fill in the other panels.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Doug Kovacs »

here is a link to the current state of the first DM screen panel ...until I do something better :

http://dougkovacs.com/dkblog/?p=1183

apologies accepted Marv.
DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

That looks sweet, Doug!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Netherstorm
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Netherstorm »

That is so epic. I think I might try to stick it in a dungeon or something... is the mouth a portal? A wizard inside a magic sphere, too... awesome. Maybe once my group throws me a curveball, I'll cook up a mini-adventure to deal with whatever they've done and i'll include this somehow.
Power Score: A blog about DCC RPG, D&D Next, Spelljammer, and life as a DM
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

doug, i have to say that not since planescape has art played such an important role in my decision to collect dcc.

post the other stuff from gary con too! that one with a band fighting a horde of somethings.
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Doug Kovacs »

These aren't the best photos, but look at these until I get some better ones. Keep hitting the arrows to the sides to see close ups and the context of the seminar.

and thanks for the complements everyone

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/+Dan ... 5739126866

It's not complete, and I've already spent some time painting today so I'm reluctant to over document them , when I could just spend the time finishing them and showing some good scans.
DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Not sure if anyone would be interested but I've been putting some time in on the monster chapter in TA. It will be available as PDF until the rest of the second book (The Hanging Judge's Guide to Transylvania) is complete. I'd estimate it's about 3 months off, given a month for layout/editing and such.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I am interested.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Raven_Crowking wrote:I am interested.
Cool. I'll try to do a blog list with the monsters in the chapter. I know there's more than 40.
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

i would love that. also a blog on cool uses of ruin would be neat while we wait :)

Return to “DCC RPG General”