Trolls of Mistwood

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Shinobi27
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Trolls of Mistwood

Post by Shinobi27 »

I'm excited to announce that the first release from Shinobi 27 Games will be available over the coming weeks.
The Trolls of Mistwood is a challenging mystery adventure aimed at Dungeon Crawlers levels 4 to 6. I stress the word challenging, as any adventurer knows, trolls are not to be underestimated.

Additional resources will be available for purchase, including beautifully illustrated and colored maps by our house cartographer, Brian Van Hunsel.
Whilst inluded as B&W maps in the adventure, Brian has painstakingly colored and detailed the two area maps for this adventure. Above is a reduced version of the Village of Mistwood map.

Stay tuned: I look forward to announcing the release of the PDF version soon.
Last edited by Shinobi27 on Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: The Trolls of Mistwood

Post by MrHemlocks »

Looks real nice! This adventure will fit in perfectly with my DCC campaign. My players have Hirot, from Doom of the Savage Kings, as a home base now a new town, in detail, comes into play. Not to mention those trolls...

Your title have a ring to it. The spiders of Mirkwood comes to mind :wink:
Shinobi27
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Shinobi27 »

MrHemlocks wrote:Looks real nice! This adventure will fit in perfectly with my DCC campaign. My players have Hirot, from Doom of the Savage Kings, as a home base now a new town, in detail, comes into play. Not to mention those trolls...

Your title have a ring to it. The spiders of Mirkwood comes to mind :wink:
Thanks MrHemlocks. Inside the adventure, there is a Mistwood map with no key, and there are still plenty of locations available for judges/GMs to place NPCs or locations specific to an existing campaign. There is also a detailed area map showing the terrain around Mistwood.

I'll be revealing more art and details as we get closer to release.
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

Love the map!
Shinobi27
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Shinobi27 »

Skars wrote:Love the map!
Yes, Brian is an awesome artist!
Shinobi27
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Shinobi27 »

Mistwood, situated on the eastern banks of the Gravic Swamp. Famous for supplying the realm with precious curative unguents and the legendary Troll siege of Mistwood. After decades of peace and tranquility the trolls have returned.
Can a bold group of adventurers help the village?
And will they survive an encounter with a legendary beast?
On sale soon.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Looking forward to it! I have had the luck to see this project through various stages of completion, and I eagerly anticipate the final version!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Shinobi27
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Shinobi27 »

The Trolls of Mistwood is now live!
http://www.rpgnow.com/product/125447/Th ... f-Mistwood
Last edited by Shinobi27 on Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: The Trolls of Mistwood - NOW LIVE!

Post by MrHemlocks »

Reading the description, over at RPGNOW, I recall it mentioning that this is the first adventure in the Mistwood series. Does that mean that you will be making more adventures that are centered around the village of Mistwood? Will Mistwood be the center of the payers activities for the other published adventures? If so that would be nice. Heck, you could even make a mini campaign setting with the series?

Also, any print version?

The only drawback for many DMs and players is the level the adventure is set for. Many players, least mine, have not reached 4-6 level yet even after two years of play... some, die off and others made alts. I guess I could scale it to level 2-3 :wink:
Tush Hog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Tush Hog »

Bought it today and will be giving it a read through tonight!

Now where can I get the color versions of the maps? :D
Shinobi27
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Shinobi27 »

MrHemlocks wrote:Reading the description, over at RPGNOW, I recall it mentioning that this is the first adventure in the Mistwood series. Does that mean that you will be making more adventures that are centered around the village of Mistwood? Will Mistwood be the center of the payers activities for the other published adventures? If so that would be nice. Heck, you could even make a mini campaign setting with the series?

Also, any print version?

The only drawback for many DMs and players is the level the adventure is set for. Many players, least mine, have not reached 4-6 level yet even after two years of play... some, die off and others made alts. I guess I could scale it to level 2-3 :wink:
There is a sequel in the works. Trolls of Mistwood is the introduction to the village and some of its history. Curse of Mistwood goes further back and takes the players to an alternative dimension where some nasty creatures from Trolls are the dominant sentient beings - it's coming along. To answer your question, Mistwood seems to be in a strategic cosmic position - so yes, Mistwood will be the heart of the series.

I'm looking into getting print versions available through RPGNow. It's a matter of figuring out their directions, the PDF is laid out for printing already but I may need to change some of the page positions for the purpose of getting the covers to print correctly.

Feel free to alter the challenges to meet the needs of your party. Trolls are tough opponents but you can play with their stats as they're not exactly 'normal' trolls in the adventure. Cheers, David.
Shinobi27
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Shinobi27 »

Tush Hog wrote:Bought it today and will be giving it a read through tonight!

Hey Tush Hog, thanks for the support! :D

The color maps are being released as high resolution, full color PDFs at RPGNow soon. Each map will be $3.99 to start. Sales $$$ from the maps will go towards supporting the cartographer!

They are selling as fine art pieces. I'm getting a set printed and framed for myself, I'm just a big fan of Brian's work. Stay tuned and once they're approved, I'll post here.
Shinobi27
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Shinobi27 »

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Hi there.

I got listed as an editor on this adventure, but don't let that fool you. There is a good deal of fun to be had here.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Shinobi27
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Shinobi27 »

Just wanted to thank all of the people who have supported my first product from editors to customers. The product broke even this morning. I will be setting up Print On Demand this weekend. So hopefully by next week hard copy will be available from RPGNow.com.

If you have purchased The Trolls of Mistwood, I'd love to hear what you think about it.

Cheers,
David.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Shinobi27 wrote:The color map PDFs are now available for Trolls of Mistwood.
http://www.rpgnow.com/product/125497/Mi ... rs_id=6338
http://www.rpgnow.com/product/125538/Gr ... rs_id=6338
So the maps are NOT included with the purchase of the adventure? I thought the adventure included maps of the village and the surrounding area. I might be wrong?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

MrHemlocks wrote:
Shinobi27 wrote:The color map PDFs are now available for Trolls of Mistwood.
http://www.rpgnow.com/product/125497/Mi ... rs_id=6338
http://www.rpgnow.com/product/125538/Gr ... rs_id=6338
So the maps are NOT included with the purchase of the adventure? I thought the adventure included maps of the village and the surrounding area. I might be wrong?
The included maps are black-and-white versions.
SoBH pbp:

ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Good job, David!
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
Shinobi27
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Shinobi27 »

MrHemlocks wrote:
Hey MrHemlocks, the maps are certainly included in the adventure in their black and white, original format.

Brian, our cartographer, went above and beyond to create some beautiful, full color versions which I have made available as separate, optional purchases. Funds raised by these sales will go towards paying Brian extra on future products.

I'm currently offering a free Fine Art map to purchasers of The Trolls of Mistwood who are willing to review the adventure.

If anyone is interested, let me know via PM.

David.
Shinobi27
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Shinobi27 »

I'm having some birthing issues with getting the Print on demand up and running over at RPGNow.com. Has anyone here had a similar issue, or am I just getting too old for this stuff?

On another note, a great deal of writing is getting done for Curse of Mistwood. As a writer/artist, I'm switching hats back and forth to keep the project moving along. Sometimes putting an image down on paper helps trigger the writer inside and vice versa. And juggling that with the full-time parent/teacher gig gets rough. But that's the fun of it all.

In other news, I'm also looking at putting together a stand alone adventure about stolen Patrons and frosty dragons. Stay tuned.

For more details on shinobi 27 games I've started a blog here: http://shinobi27games.blogspot.com.au/

Cheers.
Shinobi27
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Shinobi27 »

Just another update. The dead tree version of Trolls of Mistwood is going through. I'm now awaiting a preview printing to approve, then it will become available on RPGNow and Drivethrurpg. That's the good news. The bad news is that it can be quite a process from here to approve the proof copy and get it actually selling. Being in Australia and waiting for delivery is an estimated 2 to 7 week wait.

But at least the ball is rolling.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Shinobi27 wrote:Just another update. The dead tree version of Trolls of Mistwood is going through. I'm now awaiting a preview printing to approve, then it will become available on RPGNow and Drivethrurpg. That's the good news. The bad news is that it can be quite a process from here to approve the proof copy and get it actually selling. Being in Australia and waiting for delivery is an estimated 2 to 7 week wait.

But at least the ball is rolling.
Great!!! I am waiting on the print edition. Never use PDFs for my games. I already located where I will be placing the village....around the lowland swamp region where the Village of Hiort is located.

I plan on also getting those color maps. Either I will have them laminated or get two of those large, hard plastic, drop in sleeves, forgot name of those things, to use at the table.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Shinobi27 wrote:
Tush Hog wrote:Bought it today and will be giving it a read through tonight!

Hey Tush Hog, thanks for the support! :D

The color maps are being released as high resolution, full color PDFs at RPGNow soon. Each map will be $3.99 to start. Sales $$$ from the maps will go towards supporting the cartographer!

They are selling as fine art pieces. I'm getting a set printed and framed for myself, I'm just a big fan of Brian's work. Stay tuned and once they're approved, I'll post here.
So, the maps are only pdf? When they print out what quality are they? I will need to print mine at the library...do not want to use all my ink at home.
Shinobi27
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Shinobi27 »

MrHemlocks wrote:So, the maps are only pdf? When they print out what quality are they? I will need to print mine at the library...do not want to use all my ink at home.
Hi again MrHemlocks, I printed mine at a photography service onto canvas and they looked great. Not sure how the library printer will go. If you have any problems with the PDF version, PM me and I'll organise to get you some hi-res JPEGs. I wasn't sure how to sell a JPEG through RPGnow, so I converted them to the PDF format.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Shinobi27 wrote:
MrHemlocks wrote:So, the maps are only pdf? When they print out what quality are they? I will need to print mine at the library...do not want to use all my ink at home.
Hi again MrHemlocks, I printed mine at a photography service onto canvas and they looked great. Not sure how the library printer will go. If you have any problems with the PDF version, PM me and I'll organise to get you some hi-res JPEGs. I wasn't sure how to sell a JPEG through RPGnow, so I converted them to the PDF format.
That is nice to hear! Do you have an idea as to the cost for the print book? Will it be soft cover, hard back or both?

Return to “DCC RPG Third Party Publishers”