AoC 8 - Starfall Over the Plateau of Leng - April 2014

A forum dedicated to our new line of officially licensed Call of Cthulhu adventure modules.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

JonHook
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Tabletop Games and 31st Century Games

AoC 8 - Starfall Over the Plateau of Leng - April 2014

Post by JonHook »

Hey guys! Did you see what I saw? Joseph has announced Age of Cthulhu vol.VIII: Starfall Over the Plateau of Leng!

I'm super-excited for this one. I hope you guys like it.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: AoC 8 - Starfall Over the Plateau of Leng - April 2014

Post by GnomeBoy »

Niiiice. : )

Still hoping to get my group (more) interested in playing CoC, because I haven't run it in far, far too long.

I'm assuming this book is still 6th Edition -- any word on future adventures being native to the upcoming 7th Edition?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
JonHook
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by JonHook »

To my knowledge, all future Age of Cthulhu adventures will be 6th edition compliant.
boneguard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by boneguard »

Yeah! New adventure.

And I,m really happy they are exploring the Dreamland, that's something I wanted to see.
JonHook wrote:To my knowledge, all future Age of Cthulhu adventures will be 6th edition compliant.
Wonderful! Glad to hear this, as I don't expect to switch to 7th.
JonHook
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by JonHook »

boneguard wrote:Wonderful! Glad to hear this, as I don't expect to switch to 7th.
I've had a chance to read and play some advance versions of the new 7th edition, and there are some really good things in it. Some is kind of jarring, and will take time to get used to it, but other stuff is pretty cool.

In the end, I hope things like Age of Cthulhu continue to publish scenarios in the 6th edition rules since I know Chaosium is going full-bore into making all of their new stuff 7th edition compliant. It'll be nice to have a choice in new publications, those that cater to the tried-and-true, and those that cater to the cutting edge.

So, give 7th edition a try, Boneguard. You might like it, but I suspect that you will continue to still love 6th ed.
boneguard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by boneguard »

JonHook wrote:So, give 7th edition a try, Boneguard. You might like it, but I suspect that you will continue to still love 6th ed.
I might as you can get 7th edition introduction rules (and I have preordered the Secret of Tibet and planning to get the Orient Express reprint).

But I'm the kind of guy who -once I find an edition that pleases me- I stick there (Thus why I play AD&D 1st and 2nd ed; Shadowrun 3rd ed. Earthdawn 1st/2nd ed, Classic World of Darkness, Ars Magica 3rd/4th ed, etc.) I still get the material from later edition (if compatible) that interest me though.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

IME, every edition of CoC is completely compatible with every other. I'm not up on 5th nor 6th, but 7th seems to add/change very little compared to what I know from earlier stuff. The big thing is rating Attributes in %, since that's how you use them anyway, so you're doing the math at character creation, instead of every time you use them. And I guess the idea of 'impales' has been spread to every roll.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Rick Maffei
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rick Maffei »

Looking forward to seeing this, Jon! :twisted:
DCC #26 The Scaly God
DCC #60 Thrones of Punjar
Monstercology: Orcs
Age of Cthulhu 2: Madness in London Town
Co-author Age of Cthulhu 5: The Long Reach of Evil
Co-author 2006, 2007, 2008 Tourney DCCs

Visit Rick's RPG Blog Jabberwock's Rest
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

JonHook wrote:
boneguard wrote:Wonderful! Glad to hear this, as I don't expect to switch to 7th.
So, give 7th edition a try, Boneguard. You might like it, but I suspect that you will continue to still love 6th ed.
6th? I haven't advanced from 5th edition yet. :wink:

It does sound like 7th edition is interesting, but a lot more different from the previous editions than I had anticipated. Seems like 1st-5th at least were very similar to one another and I assume 6th is as well.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
boneguard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by boneguard »

finarvyn wrote: It does sound like 7th edition is interesting, but a lot more different from the previous editions than I had anticipated. Seems like 1st-5th at least were very similar to one another and I assume 6th is as well.
Yes, 6 is very similar to earlier edition. I own the 4th edition "Oriental Express" adventure as well as several 5th edition sourcebook/adventures and the difference are minor...we're dealing with pretty much the same core rule.

I've received the "Secret of Tibet" which is a 7th edition sourcebook with conversion rules in appendix, however I haven't had the time ot read it thought.
sheriffharry
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by sheriffharry »

I have the 7th ed. Quick-Start rules (I think it's on Chaosium website, but maybe just for the 7th ed. Kickstarter backers..).

Basically the new rules are:
-Stats are in % (which is the way we always used them anyway).
-Skills are streamlined a bit, not that much.
-You can "push" a missed skill roll (but if you miss again, you risk facing dire consequences..)
-in combat, you can "fight back" from every attack, and then do your action later on your turn. I guess this last one will probably be a bit clearer in the final books (as any D&D 3rd ed. will tell you of the myriad of problems with the similar "attack of opportunity" rules..)

So nothing you cannot translate/use on the fly during a game if using an older module.
boneguard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by boneguard »

sheriffharry wrote: So nothing you cannot translate/use on the fly during a game if using an older module.
Yeah' I was looking at the appendix of "Secret of Tibet" (the first 7th ed supplement published) and yeah the conversion is pretty straight forward.

And as Tibet is also linked to the Plateau of Leng, you could probably link AoC 8 and Tibet together to not only travel to the Dreamland but also do some Globetrotting.
hughnme
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by hughnme »

I had the pleasure of play-testing this module and I can say it was a blast!

I hadn't read much about The Dreamlands before playing the scenario so some of the situations I as an Investigator found myself in were pretty amazing..can't wait to have this in my hot little hand.
JonHook
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by JonHook »

hughnme wrote:I had the pleasure of play-testing this module and I can say it was a blast!

I hadn't read much about The Dreamlands before playing the scenario so some of the situations I as an Investigator found myself in were pretty amazing..can't wait to have this in my hot little hand.
My good friend, Hugh. You are a crazy bastard. :mrgreen:
boneguard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by boneguard »

So what does the Kickstarter means for those like me who has already pre-bought AoC8?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

boneguard wrote:So what does the Kickstarter means for those like me who has already pre-bought AoC8?
Consider yourself grandfathered in, with all the benefits (and stretch goals) of a KS backer at the early-bird price you paid. :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

finarvyn wrote:6th? I haven't advanced from 5th edition yet..
The differences are minimal, so you're not missing much.
boneguard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by boneguard »

goodmangames wrote:
boneguard wrote:So what does the Kickstarter means for those like me who has already pre-bought AoC8?
Consider yourself grandfathered in, with all the benefits (and stretch goals) of a KS backer at the early-bird price you paid. :)
Oh sweet, I wasn't expecting that much to be honest.
sheriffharry
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by sheriffharry »

goodmangames wrote:
Cool! :mrgreen:
boneguard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by boneguard »

sheriffharry wrote:
goodmangames wrote:
Cool! :mrgreen:
Out of curiosity, when you include those who pre-bought the module, how close are we to goal now?
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

goodmangames wrote:
*invents time travel in order to go back and pre-order the module*

boneguard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by boneguard »

Sweet 2 stretch goal met.

I'm still curious how much the pre-orders add to the overall KS totoal?
boneguard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by boneguard »

Wow 53 Hours to go and so far a bit over 8K has been pledged (No including any pre-ordered AoC 8 that is.) and so far, the sweet sweet loot is:

1) A Hardcover AoC 8
2) A PDF of AoC 8
3) a PDF of a previous module as a bonus (so one of the following: AoC 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7)
4) Perforated tear-out business card + (Bonus) A host of NPC for Eureka
5) 12 Pregen Characters
6) Mini-adventure "The Gang's All Here"
7) Mini Adventures "Transatlantic horror" + "Risen is the Moon"
8 ) 10 extra handouts/illustrations pages

Bonus (If 1 more adventure is bought (so probably the pre-oder do not qualify)) Get Shrine of Cthulhu paper model set from Fat Dragon Games.
Last edited by boneguard on Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
JonHook
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by JonHook »

Guys, I am thrilled that the Starfall Over the Plateau of Leng kickstarter broke the $8000 mark! I'm thrilled that Transatlantic Terror will now be included, and I can't wait for you guys to see the two-part adventures "The Gangs All Here" and "Risen is the Moon."

I am humbled, and I will be getting to work ASAP.

Thank you.
boneguard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by boneguard »

Wow the KS did pretty well...Clongratulation

Return to “Age of Cthulhu”