2012: Transylvanian Adventures & The Transylvanian Grimoire

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

marshal kt

Re: 2012: Transylvanian Adventures & The Transylvanian Grimo

Post by marshal kt »

Got it in my cart.
wish I would've been able to get it before I ran your quickstater. The players had loads of questions and were interested in changing the characters a bit.

EDIT:
I was about to buy it, but I got a PM from a mod here is making rethink even buying anything else with DCC on it.

You have a good product, but if the main license allows it's 3rd party publishers to attack customers on the forum; I have a problem supporting them.

I'm going to have to think about whether I'm going to purchase anything else with DCC on it or not.

Sidenote: You might want to put a direct link to the product.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

When will you have the special offer for those wanting a print copy? Like a free PDF when buying/preordering the print book...
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

Purchased and enjoying it quite a bit already.

Quick Question:
The Firearms table lists the damage of a rifle as being 1d5, but I thought the d5 and d7 were dropped from TA? :?:
Dumnbunny
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Kapow Comics, Cards and Games

Post by Dumnbunny »

smathis wrote:Brotherhood of the Wolf, Peter Cushing as Van Helsing in the early Hammer films, or read any Tomb of Dracula, that's about the type of character players could expect to play in TATG.
Hmmm. Cushing as Van Helsing, is all kinds of awesome, but I have to say, you had me at Brotherhood of the Wolf. I just need to decide between printing the PDFs at home and having them bound or holding out for the POD option.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

marshal kt wrote:Got it in my cart.
wish I would've been able to get it before I ran your quickstater. The players had loads of questions and were interested in changing the characters a bit.
I could see that. The character classes and rules in the full book are better than in the intro adventure.
marshal kt wrote:EDIT:
I was about to buy it, but I got a PM from a mod here is making rethink even buying anything else with DCC on it.

You have a good product, but if the main license allows it's 3rd party publishers to attack customers on the forum; I have a problem supporting them.

I'm going to have to think about whether I'm going to purchase anything else with DCC on it or not.
Sorry to hear this. I'm not aware of what's happening. Generally, everyone here is very chill and easy to get along with. I try not to attack customers. Especially if they're holding me at bay with a cross or some garlic.
marshal kt wrote:Sidenote: You might want to put a direct link to the product.
I need lots of work on the blog. :D Just too busy.

Here's the link: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/121110/Transylvanian-Adventures?src=FrontPage
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

MrHemlocks wrote:When will you have the special offer for those wanting a print copy? Like a free PDF when buying/preordering the print book...
Info on that here: http://landofphantoms.blogspot.com/2013/10/so-what-about-sequel.html
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Dumnbunny wrote:
smathis wrote:Brotherhood of the Wolf, Peter Cushing as Van Helsing in the early Hammer films, or read any Tomb of Dracula, that's about the type of character players could expect to play in TATG.
Hmmm. Cushing as Van Helsing, is all kinds of awesome, but I have to say, you had me at Brotherhood of the Wolf. I just need to decide between printing the PDFs at home and having them bound or holding out for the POD option.
I think POD should be coming up fairly soon. I just need to build a cover to Lulu's specs, verify a proof, etc. etc. (EDIT: That said, it's probably still a week or two out -- given shipping and any potential issues that come up...)

If you get the PDF now, I'm going to try to offer a discount for POD. End result means you'll probably pay a few dollars more that route (because I'm not sure if I can offer the POD books at below cost for PDF buyers from RPGNow). But I do know that I can give a free PDF to those who buy a POD book. At least until I run out of free coupons.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Skars wrote:Purchased and enjoying it quite a bit already.

Quick Question:
The Firearms table lists the damage of a rifle as being 1d5, but I thought the d5 and d7 were dropped from TA? :?:
Well... specifically... d5 and d7 were dropped from the Dice Chain of DCC. So when you get a -1 die shift on a d8, it becomes a d6 -- not a d5.

The rifle is likely a miss on my part, though. Upgrading it to a d6 won't break anything. But I'd recommend making the musket a d6+1 if you do.

I have a couple of updates to make and I'll make sure the change here gets in when I do. It will be just a while, though (post-POD) because I have to go into that dreadful approval process that deactivates the product. There will be an update, though. It will just be a week or two.

(And if only THAT were the worst goof I'd made...)

Sorry, RavenCK!!!
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Dumnbunny wrote:
If you want some Brotherhood of the Wolf fun, cross a Hunter with a Polymath and then build a straight up Exotic. Take 'em up to level 4 or 5 and roll.

The Exotic is basically an homage to Mani.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

I am still waiting. Going to order the print and get a deal on the PDF? Any idea when this option will be?
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

MrHemlocks wrote:I am still waiting. Going to order the print and get a deal on the PDF? Any idea when this option will be?
I have to get the full wrap-around cover built for Lulu. Then prep the PDF for their POD service. Then have a proof sent and make adjustments. At the very least, it's a week or two out. But it will be available soon-ish. Lulu's POD is less prohibitive than OBS'. That's why they're first in line. OBS' print-on-demand has a full on someone-in-house-has-to-look-at-first process. I'll get through that at some point. Just focusing on what's immediately ahead for now.
ThickSkullAdv
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by ThickSkullAdv »

smathis wrote:And we're live.

Transylvanian Adventures is available in PDF at RPGNow.

Thanks to everyone for their support and patience.

Now, GO STAKE SOME VAMPIRES!!!

:twisted:
Congratulations on the release, sir! I've picked up my PDF copy (thank you) and I'll be purchasing the print version when that becomes available. It's a really fun read and I'll be cross-promoting on my blog, FB, G+, Twitter, smoke signals, etc.
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

I just bought the PDF. Woot!
SavageRobby
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by SavageRobby »

I've been reading through my copy as well. I very much like.

My wife was just asking me about a monster hunting game set in the Gothic period. Good timing, that. :)
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

SavageRobby wrote:I've been reading through my copy as well. I very much like.

My wife was just asking me about a monster hunting game set in the Gothic period. Good timing, that. :)
Glad you're enjoying it.

If you're interested in some players for that game, drop me a line.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Working on proofing the print-on-demand copies over the weekend. I have a couple arriving in the mail in a couple of weeks. At this time, there will be a hardcover for $34.99 and a softcover for $19.99.

Hardcover will come with a free PDF download.

More details as I find them out.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

smathis wrote:Working on proofing the print-on-demand copies over the weekend. I have a couple arriving in the mail in a couple of weeks. At this time, there will be a hardcover for $34.99 and a softcover for $19.99.

Hardcover will come with a free PDF download.

More details as I find them out.
Nice to hear! Will be getting least two hardcover copies. One to keep the other used at the gaming table. Will there be an option to upgrade the paper quality, for this book, on Lulu? Like DCC core book paper quality?
Deadstop
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Deadstop »

Smathis, have you talked to the Spellburn podcast guys about being "invoked" on an episode yet? They've talked about TATG in passing a couple times, but having you on there to extol the virtues of the supplement (and let the hosts play around with the mechanics) could be a good marketing opportunity.

I also see that the first book is #2 or #3 on RPGNow the past couple days. Yaaaay!

Still haven't bought mine :( but hoping to with my next paycheck this week.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

MrHemlocks wrote:Nice to hear! Will be getting least two hardcover copies. One to keep the other used at the gaming table. Will there be an option to upgrade the paper quality, for this book, on Lulu? Like DCC core book paper quality?
Cool. IIRC, I'm not cheaping out on the paper quality. I'm at least one bump, if not two bumps, up the paper quality chain. I'm making less per book. But I'm fine with that. I'd rather have a nice book that holds up over time. I'm not just a writer, I'm a customer too! :D
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Deadstop wrote:Smathis, have you talked to the Spellburn podcast guys about being "invoked" on an episode yet? They've talked about TATG in passing a couple times, but having you on there to extol the virtues of the supplement (and let the hosts play around with the mechanics) could be a good marketing opportunity.
I haven't had a chance to talk to the Spellburn guys. I'd be happy to sit in. There's a lot in there to play around with.
Deadstop wrote:I also see that the first book is #2 or #3 on RPGNow the past couple days. Yaaaay!

Still haven't bought mine :( but hoping to with my next paycheck this week.
Yup. It's been well-received. Very fortunate in that. Looking forward to continuing to support it and help it become a mainstay of Gothic Horror RPGs.
englandprevails
Gongfarmer

Post by englandprevails »

I have been looking forward to this book since I picked up DCC. So far, it has not disappointed. My friend and I each purchased a copy and it was well worth it.

A couple praises and a question:

The mad lib type character creation is some of the most fun I've had making characters. I had 3 people at my table and we made them all together. Hilarity ensued. Im very impressed with the fact that randomizing all these choices still resulted in a very cohesive and exciting character creation process. We have some interesting zero level characters. Its going to be a bummer to lose them hahaha

The writing is very entertaining. It works well with the setting and helped set the tone. All the tables are great.

The Adversary die system/investigation system is very very clever. Some of the better adventure building ideas/tools I've seen and I've been playing and running games for about 20 years.

Question: I noticed the Hunter didnt have the monster lore skill. Is that intentional. It seems like the one character that would have access to a skill to benefit the hunting of certain monsters.

Looking forward to the hardcover version. You have two sales waiting for that to be released. Thanks for all your hard work. My friends and I have been waiting for a game like this for awhile.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

englandprevails wrote:I have been looking forward to this book since I picked up DCC. So far, it has not disappointed. My friend and I each purchased a copy and it was well worth it.

A couple praises and a question:

The mad lib type character creation is some of the most fun I've had making characters. I had 3 people at my table and we made them all together. Hilarity ensued. Im very impressed with the fact that randomizing all these choices still resulted in a very cohesive and exciting character creation process. We have some interesting zero level characters. Its going to be a bummer to lose them hahaha

The writing is very entertaining. It works well with the setting and helped set the tone. All the tables are great.

The Adversary die system/investigation system is very very clever. Some of the better adventure building ideas/tools I've seen and I've been playing and running games for about 20 years.
Thanks. A lot of effort went into the book. I'm glad that people are enjoying it.
englandprevails wrote:Question: I noticed the Hunter didnt have the monster lore skill. Is that intentional. It seems like the one character that would have access to a skill to benefit the hunting of certain monsters.
I double-checked that and it appears to be an oversight on my part. Nothing will break if you allow the Hunter to select Monster Lore at 1st level. I'll try to get that fixed in an update. Thanks for the heads up.
englandprevails wrote:Looking forward to the hardcover version. You have two sales waiting for that to be released. Thanks for all your hard work. My friends and I have been waiting for a game like this for awhile.
That's great to hear. I'm awaiting a proof copy of the hardcover in the next week or so. So hopefully that goes well and the hardcover can be available this month. I'm hoping to give a discount to those who've bought the PDF beforehand. More info as it becomes available.
marshal kt

Post by marshal kt »

Got it. Printed it. Haven't had time to read it.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

marshal kt wrote:Got it. Printed it. Haven't had time to read it.
Sweet. That's a whole lotta printing. I hope you enjoy the book.
Ragingsystem
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Ragingsystem »

Just bought the PDF of the main book and The Winter Home! Can't wait to read them both and try the game!

Return to “DCC RPG Third Party Publishers”