Minis I painted/sculpted for DCC #23 The Sunken Ziggurat

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

mclimbin
Ill-Fated Peasant

Minis I painted/sculpted for DCC #23 The Sunken Ziggurat

Post by mclimbin »

Hey guys,
I just finished running the Sunken Ziggurat so I thought I'd share the minis I made for this awesome module.

Here is what I used for the Lammasu head. It's from Reaper, called "Dungeon Loot."

I used this one for the Hollow Master, Ul-Alam'inic. Also from Reaper, it's a model called "Darkrasp, Evil Priest" Soooooo fun to paint!

For the other Hollow Ones, I wanted to use some other models from Reaper called "Darkthrall Cultists," (click here) but they were a little expensive to buy so many of them.

I could not find anything for the Tablet Golem, so I decided to sculpt my own! It was my first time sculpting anything, but I thought I could get something close since the figure would be so blocky. I learned a lot about sculpting with this one, mostly about fingerprints! I like to think of him as "Gumby on Steroids."

And a painted version:

For the last battle, I wanted something nice and intimidating, so I painted up a Warhammer Dark Elves Hydra. Man, was this one a pain to put together and paint! But I'm happy with how she turned out.

Hope you enjoy looking!
Last edited by mclimbin on Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guslandt
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by guslandt »

WOW!!! I am blown away! Those are awesome. :D

Your tablet golem is so totally cool! It's too bad you had to paint the green. I'd have loved to see him get cast up in pewter. I work at Reaper (glad you like our minis!) and would have tried to get a limited number of those cast. :D
mclimbin
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by mclimbin »

Hey Gus,
Yeah, I like your minis...in fact I'm a Black Lightening member! (Mclimbin: BL CA009)

I never would have thought that anyone would want to cast up that mess. You can see fingerprints everywhere! That is nice of you to say though. :D

It would have been cool to see some of them cast up, though... I *could* sculpt him again, I'm sure I could do a better job... LOL! 8)
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

Agreed, that tablet mini is nuts! You've got some lucky players if their GM is this into their adventures!
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

Wow!
I love that Tablet Golem. The fingerprints aren't obvious from where I'm sitting. Maybe looks like squiggles of writing on the tablet?

That was an awesome module, too.

That golem is too cool, dude. 8)

Llamasu head is pretty cool, too.
Roll for initiative!!!
Luke Johnson
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Luke Johnson »

Those are totally cool. When are you going to run an adventure I wrote???
Wicked Fantasy Factory editor-in-chief
DCC #19: The Volcano Caves; DCC #42: Secret of the Stonearm; and DCC 2006 Tournament Module: Palace in the Wastes designer
Etherscope developer
http://www.lukejohnson.com
mclimbin
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by mclimbin »

:D :D

Thanks for the thumbs up guys. In a way I'm lucky because my group only meets about once a month to play, so it gives me plenty of time to paint up a bad guy for the next game. We had a hiatus of about 3 months between level 3 and 4/5, so I had lots of time to finish the hydra.

Of course this means that I am unlucky in that I only can play once a month or so, but such is adulthood, eh?

As for the fingerprints, you can see some on the tip of his left (to you and me) hand. There are some others in other places. It's ok though, I was not going for a perfect figure, as it would have been impossible for me to finish. I just wanted something fun to put down on the table to startle the players. There is nothing like that first reaction of "Oh, s**t" :shock: :o when you put the mini down and the players see it for the first time. I have to say the tablet golem is an awesome idea for a special monster. Very creative. I hope R Pocklington comes by to check it out. :)
kenwig
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by kenwig »

Nice work! I especially like the Hydra.

Where do you get the round bases?
Nap
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Nap »

Wow, those are really impressive! While the Hydra looks great, I'm especially blown away by your tablet golem since you sculpted it yourself. I could never do anything like that. Congratulations!
mclimbin
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by mclimbin »

I got the round bases at Jeff Valent Studios.

He has a reputation for letting orders slip his mind (and no, I don't mean that ironically), so be sure to send an email to remind him if you don't get your order in a week or so. You can't beat the price! If you order them from Dark Age or War Machine they will be a lot more expensive.
The_Livewire
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by The_Livewire »

Beautiful minis.

I'd suggest the cultist of the dragon minis from the D&D mini set for the cultists. I'd also love to see the tablet golem ;-)
"I never knew how empty my soul, until it was filled." - Excaliber

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”