punjar modules

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

punjar modules

Post by catseye yellow »

is it viable for me to try to 'translate' them into DCC? is it too much work? is it easy peasy?

advice needed before doing anything rash.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: punjar modules

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Translating anything into DCC is a pretty easy task, overall, with a few caveats.

(1) Watch Spellcasters: Remember the core rulebook says that NPCs need not play by the same rules as PCs. Even with that in mind, though, you will probably want to re-imagine any spellcasters in the original work.

(2) Watch Tropes: The "weird fantasy" mindset of Appendix N literature, and hence DCC, is very different from the "Mos Eisley Cantina" mindset of WotC D&D and Pathfinder. You will run into ideas in 3.x and later modules, such as armies of dwarven cavalry, elf paladins, gnome clerics, etc., that simply do not fit with DCC (unless you decide that they do, of course). You might need to get imaginative with these, and think about what Appendix N authors would have done instead. In general, you will find far, far fewer of these problems with TSR D&D modules, and the earlier ones cleave closest to the source.

The dwarven cavalry, therefore, may become barbarian tribes, the gnome cleric might become a unique monster or a human, etc.

Watch Treasure: A good standard rule is: Change platinum to gold, change gold to silver, change silver to copper, and reduce any copper to 10% of listed value. You might want to do further reductions. Make most magic into fine items instead, and make most of whatever magic is left unique. Magic items with drawbacks are cooler than ones without (i.e., if the players have to decide whether or not benefit X is worth drawback Y, and they are not always certain, you are offering them an interesting decision, and that is great!).

Add Some Weird: Throw in a couple of things that would not have occurred in a 3.x, 4.x, or Pathfinder module if you can. Give your DCC conversion its own special brand of weirdness....be it due to unique monsters, unique treasures, or unique opportunities (ex. a chance to learn spells, gain a patron, or improve a character in some way).

The really cool thing about DCC is that most of this can be done on the fly. Crawl! has some rules in its magic issue (#3) for easy conversion of OSR spells/casters, that you could probably use as a guideline for later editions as well. The DCC core rulebook has tables to help make humanoids and undead unique....use them! For the most part, with a few minor modifications (and most of them descriptive) you can convert any D&D/Pathfinder to DCC. I can do this with a few notes, and standard modifications applied on the fly.

If you have DCC 29: The Adventure Begins, you can pick up DCC 76.5 while it is possible (http://www.goodmangames.com/50765preview.html) and you can see directly how I applied these principles to create an official conversion of a Harley Stroh masterpiece. If enough people purchase it, and enough people ask, perhaps Joseph Goodman will commission other conversions............ :twisted:

I know I would be happy to do more. :mrgreen:

But I also know that, if you give it a shot, you will soon find that it is pretty easy to do yourself. :D
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Keep in mind that in general 3E/4E monsters and NPCs have a lot of extra stuff in them that needs to be cleared out. Sometimes it's better to rebuild from scratch, thinking "okay, so I've read the monster information ... what is the essence of what it's supposed to be?" instead of trying a direct conversion. In other words, conversion is often more of an art than a science.

Having said all of that, Raven_Crowking is a master of conversions. Treat his wisdom like gold. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

finarvyn wrote:Having said all of that, Raven_Crowking is a master of conversions. Treat his wisdom like gold. 8)
IOW, make sure it isn't a scam before you buy it.

:lol:
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

thanx. will do.

i am fairly comfortable converting various old school d&d products and 3e adventures to DCC but 4e is really challenging.

for example, sellswords of punjar really does not 'feel' to me like a 1st lvl adventure.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Well, if Joseph Goodman wants it converted............ :D
SoBH pbp:

AQuebman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by AQuebman »

I havent done it too much but ive found if you cut the expected level in half for dcc characters you can rumost 3.5 modules without any changes. So 3rd level dcc characters would run in a 6th level module. The feats on monsters can just be used as abilities they have and skills other than for occasional use can be tossed out as they arent really needed.

I think its the older 1e-2e modules that are a toss up to me on converting. Though their flavor falls more in line with dcc.

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”