Gnome Class by me!

Forum for discussing DCC RPG characters, classes, and character-related subjects.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

CocoaRobbins
Ill-Fated Peasant

Gnome Class by me!

Post by CocoaRobbins »

So I have created my own gnome class and have decided to share it with you guys. Its currently untested so keep that in mind, but I feel its worth posting I want to see what people think. So here's Gnome

Gnome
Hit Points: 1d5 per level.
Weapon Training: Gnomes don't like to fight, but if forced to they can use Daggers, Darts, Staffs or Slings.
Alignment: Usually Neutral
Languages: In addition to their normal languages and Gnome, Gnomes of level 1 learn to speak the language of one burrowing mammal of their choice.
Small: Gnomes have the small trait.
Defense Bonus: Gnomes dislike fighting but can learn to use their small size to their advantage. Whenever a gnome levels and would gain an attack bonus, this bonus is applied to defense INSTEAD.
Action Dice: Gnomes gain a second action dice at 5th level. This dice can only be used for spells.
Favored Spells: Gnomes will always prefer trickery over force. At first level, in addition to their normal spells, Gnomes automatically learn Cantrip and Ventriloquism. When rolling to see what spells a Gnome learns or can learn, roll twice and consult the following list. If one spell is on this list and one is not, you must choose the listed spell. If both are on the list, the player can choose. If neither is on this list then it's the DM's choice.
Level 1: Charm Person, Color Spray, Magic Shield, Read Magic, Ropework, Sleep. Level 2: Detect Invisible, ESP, Invisibility, Knock, Levitate, Magic Mouth, Phantasm, Scare. Level 3: Consult Spirit, Dispel Magic, Fly, Haste, Slow, Turn to Stone. Level 4: Polymorph, Transmute Earth.
Illusion Specialty: If and when a Gnome reaches level 3, they automatically gain the Arcane Affinity Spell, for the purposes of mastering Illusions only. The Gnome can gain other Arcane Affinities normally but must get the spell a second time to do so. In addition, because of the nature of Gnomes, they do not need to spend the normal year necessary studying illusions to qualify for casting the spell.
Luck: At first level, a Gnome applies their luck bonus to one spell of their choice.
Mercurial Bonus: At first level only, when rolling mercurial magic for Ventriloquism and Cantrip, The Gnome can roll twice and pick a result.
Speed: Gnome base speed is 20ft.
LEVEL DEFENSE Crit Die/Table Action Dice Known Spells Max Spell level
1 +0 1d6/I 1d20 3 1
2 +1 1d6/I 1d20 4 1
3 +2 1d8/I 1d20 5 2
4 +2 1d8/I 1d20 6 2
5 +3 1d10/I 1d20+1d14 7 3
6 +4 1d10/I 1d20+1d16 8 3
7 +5 1d12/I 1d20+1d20 9 4
8 +5 1d12/I 1d20+1d20 11 4
9 +6 1d14/I 1d20+1d20 13 5
10 +7 1d14/I 1d20+1d20+1d14 15 5
Saves: Fort Ref Will
1 +1 +1 +1
2 +1 +1 +1
3 +1 +1 +2
4 +2 +2 +2
5 +2 +2 +3
6 +2 +2 +4
7 +3 +3 +4
8 +3 +3 +5
9 +3 +4 +5
10 +4 +4 +6

Title (all Alignments)
1 Prestidigitator
2 Joker
3 Illusionist
4 Trickster
5 Master Illusionist
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Re: Gnome Class by me!

Post by Skyscraper »

Nice!
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
bat
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by bat »

Snappy!
I'm giving DCC another try and totally need this to offer to my players. Well done!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

I don't get many players who want to be gnomes in my campaign, but I'll print this out and see if anyone is interested. Looks like it's pretty well balanced.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
bat
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by bat »

I never run the annoying tinker gnome type myself, I use the more dour, nature bent gnomes, similar to something Alan Lee might have drawn in the old Faeries book for an oakman or one of the more sinister solitary faeries.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

bat wrote:I never run the annoying tinker gnome type myself, I use the more dour, nature bent gnomes, similar to something Alan Lee might have drawn in the old Faeries book for an oakman or one of the more sinister solitary faeries.
Are you thinking Brian Froud?
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
bat
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by bat »

I like Lee's pencils over Froud's watercolours, I am more thinking one of the solitary fey, Brown Man of the Moors I believe (my book is 2654 miles away right now).

Return to “Characters”