Liber Arcanum

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Tortog
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Liber Arcanum

Post by Tortog »

So... I figured it's about time I introduced everyone to my next project.

Liber Arcanum... which translates variously as "mysterious book," or "book of mysteries" and is written specifically to expand the number of spells available to the DCCRPG system and to provide the Storyteller with even more Patron options as well as some quick and easy strategies for dealing with reversed spells so you don't have to slow the game down and figure out the reversed version of a spell.

There are 50 new general spells covering the full range of spell levels 1-5 including the reversed spells. Each with expanded spell tables, spell manifestation and corruption results. Things sort out like this:

1st lvl- 3 new spells, 8 new reversed spells

2nd lvl- 6 new spells, 4 new reversed spells

3rd lvl- 6 new spells, 6 new reversed spells, + the addition of the cleric spell: Banish

4th lvl- 8 new spells, 1 new reversed spell, + the addition of the cleric spell: True Name

5th lvl- 8 new spells
-------------------------------

This list includes: expanded versions of Fey and Mortal runes, 9 completely new runic alphabets of 1st through 5th level providing more than 150 new runes, Wand Magic, 6 new Patrons each with 2 unique spells, and a new wizard sub-type (Runemage) that can be easily opened up for non-humans... and that's not all.
-------------------------------

I'm writing this to fit the EBM printing guidelines so the pages are 8in by 10.5in, and the text blocks are 7.5in by 10in; at present I have 45/50 spells, the Runemage, and 2 patrons ready for play test. Though I'm going to get all of them written before I start. Enacting lessons learned... and all that... 8)

Currently there are 135pgs, but this includes 9 art pages for the runes; with 2 more alphabets left to write. At this point no one outside my editor has seen anything other than my previous work with the Demi-goddess Aristemis (DCC#35; DM's Guide, CH2, p22) as Patron and some of her spells. :wink:

More details to follow; including sample spells... I'll try to be better about up-dates this time. :)
Disemvowel
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Liber Arcanum

Post by Disemvowel »

Holy crap...sounds awesome.
Tortog
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Tortog »

@Disemvowel> I love your choice of name-tag! And thanx for taking a look.

Here's the latest from the news desk:
I was perusing the boards the other day and found this thread by cthulhudarren

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 55&p=97451

He's Right! And I'm nearly 50 spells into a spell book and hadn't written one yet so...
[EDIT 04-13-13, :oops: SOOooo... it only took me this long to make and notice my first Gaff! Glad I got that out of the way. That's what I get for not consulting the list of existing spells before spazzing out on the keyboard like a crazed ape. Consulting that list is usually the first thing I do, but I guess it had to happen at least once. :lol: I like the existing Shatter spell; but I also like the spell I wrote, so I've renamed it Sonic Blast but otherwise it is the same as the one I posted before. I have gone back and re-posted new versions and updated the links... sorry for any confusion.]

Sonic Blast spell
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8iHPun ... sp=sharing

Silence spell

[End of Edit :oops: ]

Here are a couple of links to my take on the silence spell and it's reverse: the shatter spell. This also gives me a chance to show off the main layout. Again, I've made some tweaks, but I don't think anyone will mind too much. These spells are written with all of the optional rules incorporated; such as, increased probability of mishap (5%/ level of spell), increased casting times (time in rounds = level of spell), I've added an extra 2 result categories because there area a fair few folks out there house ruling an expansion of the spell table charts, and because it helps to set ritual sorcery and the truly powerful wizards apart from the lesser wizards. 8)

This is the same reasoning behind my re-tooling of the numbers for 5th level spell successes. I truly believe that it is healthy for players to be frightened by the idea of casting a 5th level spell; and on p.106 of the CR it says; "... your spell succeeds if your spell check is equal to or higher than a base DC of 10 + (2x spell level)."

Lastly, I've added a 'gimpy' scale effect on the spell check tables. This event is set at (minimum # for success - 1), and the default setting is that the spell fails, but the caster doesn't lose the spell for the day; this is so the GM doesn't have to go through and create a blizzard of minor success events for existing spells. However, some spells have a watered down version of the basic success that the caster can use, but then they lose access to the spell for the day. everything is summed up on the following chart link:

So now the project stands at 49 of 52 general spells written which solves another problem I've been having: how to create a randomizing table(s) for the end user? Answer= get a dek of playing cards; there will be a chart in the back of the book that lists out which cards = which spells so you can just deal the cards straight to the players and let them wonder. :twisted:

I invite all comments, critiques, and suggestions... :mrgreen:
Last edited by Tortog on Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

I suggested this awhile ago. Some liked it, others not. Id definitely buy something like this, especially in print with decent art.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Tortog
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Tortog »

Blood Axe wrote:I suggested this awhile ago. Some liked it, others not. Id definitely buy something like this, especially in print with decent art.
Yeah, me and you had similar ideas, but as I recall the idea was fairly well received. Glad to have your support! Funny you should mention art, I've been trying to implement lessons learned from the CCD, and I started early with the search for artists. So far I have two people that are interested in contributing to this book, and I met a third local artist at the Gamestorm convention that I may be able to bring on board. All three are talented artists, and one is a long time gamer and artist whose always wanted to do something like this, but never had the chance before. In terms of the style, you can see from the links above that I'm going for an illuminated manuscript style, with sketches and such as a break between spells where needed.

{ :oops: oh look Gaff # 2, best to get these things out of the way early :roll: } I should point out that I erred slightly in my earlier post: the dimensions of the book are 8in by 10.5in; the text blocks are 6in x 8.5in, and all the spells are set up so that each spell is separate and contains no information from other spells.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

This sounds awesome and I can't wait to get my hands on a copy. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Blood Axe »

Keep us posted. Sounds like a definite buy for me. :D
Tortog
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Tortog »

Well, I've spent the last few days taking a break from writing the last couple of general spells to work on some of my Patron ideas. Things are moving along nicely and I've finished editing my re-write of Aristemis the Wise as a Patron so I set it in the final format and here she is; complete with 3 new spells.

I invite all comments and critiques... Have fun! :mrgreen:
Tortog
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Tortog »

Update:

About a week ago I sat down to review my outline and all of the accumulated files and discovered, much to my chagrin, that I had more than 225 pages of material. Ordinarily I'd be thrilled by this kind of progress, but after writing the CCD I decided I really don't want to deal with anything over 180 pages. Anything larger than that and I risk giving my computer a digital aneurism every time I open the Word file or the Serif Page Plus layout software that I'm using to stitch all of this together.

Yep... I did it again... :roll:

I seem to have written two books at the same time. One is about spells and patrons, and the other is quite obviously about runes*. So I started editing in earnest. After excising most of the runic material from the Liber Arcanum I found that there are now approximately 150 pages. I left in the expanded rune lists for Fey and Mortal runes, and a couple other goodies. Now there are 42 general access spells; 5.5 patrons...

I should explain: Aristemis and Delvyr are full Patrons each with 3 unique spells and such. However, I also have added a few 'lesser patrons' as I call them. They are based upon the ideas laid down for Ithha in the core rules. I expanded his entry (the 0.5) and filled out the Elemental Court by adding Kandyri-sek Princess of Elemental Flame, Brinae Princess of Elemental Water, and Hraalvid Prince of Elemental Earth**. None offer unique spells; but they do offer dedicated elemental spell lists that the Aeromancers, Pyromancers, Aquamancers, and Geomancers can study. The Elemental Lords and Ladies also offer unique powers and abilities to the favored amongst their patronages.

All of this is finished in 1st draft form, and I'm about 1/3 of the way through a 2nd draft of the individual files, shuffling their levels a bit, and then handing these files off to a couple of readers who are familiar with the DCCRPG environment. I decided that I can wait a little on the rune project to accelerate the completion of the Liber Arcanum. Whilst finishing the 2nd drafts and awaiting feedback, I wrote up a module to help me alpha-test the LA material and I'm running the third session later today/ early tomorrow (I have a weird schedule).

It's working title is: "The Elemental Palace of Olembar' Vek" I'm running this first series of games as close to orthodox DCC rules as possible; which means almost no house rules. I've started off by running it as a solo adventure for a 5th level wizard, just to set a benchmark on its level of lethality. The test character was originally a cut-purse and since this is to be a solo adventure for now; I've allowed her to have Sneak Silently and Hide in Shadows as a 1st level thief. She also has the Pick Pockets skill of a thief equal to her wizard levels, because the Player wrote it into the back story that this wizard has kept up on these older skills since they help to further her acquisition of spells and power and keep her in good standing with several of Kassantia's Thief Guilds; she also has the potion making spell and rolls 1d30 when casting the Wizard Staff spell. {She rather enjoyed trolling for mercurial magic and actually got: 98 'natural born talent' for the MM effect on the Wizard staff spell. However, she can't cast her magic missile spell without it costing her 1d4+1 points of damage unless she can find a volunteer to take the damage for her. :shock: } She has Delvyr the Luminous as her Patron and I let her start with a Staff and a small horde of potions.. and she came up with a devilishly clever reason for her character's involvement in this 'module'. She wants to write it down, so I won't be saying too much more about the specifics except that I've also removed some of the aspects of my version of Aereth; taking it back to a more generic form, though I've kept some of the geo-political & timeline stuff that I've written. The game is set ostensibly, at the height of the Crestine Empire's Golden Age. Starting in Kassantia a year before Emperor Ostadt II is kidnapped at the start of the civil war that leads to the Interregnum. However, the adventure module is written from the point of view that it can be set in any world and in any coastal environment.***

More later :mrgreen:
------------
* The runic lore will now be spun off into its own work tentatively titled "The Book of Lost Runes" which stands at about 80% completion of its first draft, as well as the map and an outline for its 'test-module'.

**While the entry for Ithha mentions the Earth Elemental Grom, I was unsure if this character would be available or already had been defined in a module or something, so I when with Hraalvid. I have accounted for Grom as a separate faction within the Elemental Court of Earth... because what's a Courtly structure without some intrigue and politics? :wink:

*** I can say that the character rolled a modified 34 on the check to construct her Staff, and the rest of the treasure she's acquired over the years has gone into making potions, though she has a dagger that will return to her after it is thrown. The very first spell casting roll by the character to attack something was a natural 20; and the first save by this critter was also a natural 20. :roll: here we go again. There has already been a TPK and things just get stranger from there.
Tortog
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Tortog »

Hey just wanted to let everyone know that testing and editing are going along nicely, and I'm setting up things with the artists. I'll be sending in a 3rd draft copy of the manuscript to Mr. G by the middle to end of next month if everything continues according to plan, then we'll see where things go from there. I should say that the previously posted list of spells and levels continues to be sorted and juggled. :D

If you look at the earlier link to the spell quick reference table, you'll see that after 5th level spells things switch to a ritual only format for casting, each entry for one of these will have the requirements listed for casting, but in general they follow all the normal rules for ritual casting. The only difference is that the master of the Greater Ritual or Rite must be at least 9th level; the rest of the participants will also have level requirements, but since they only need to be able to play their part within the larger casting, these secondary casters only need to be 5th level or greater to participate.

So I promoted one of the 5th level spells I wrote into a Rite (7th level spell equivalent) to serve as one of the examples in the book. The minimum DC for success is 24... and the chart goes up to 48+ It goes by the name of Pocket Reality. :twisted:

I also wanted to introduce one of the artists, for the project. She sent me this quick sketch the other day as a style test and I just love the way she captured the innate elven superiority and distaste for dealing with anything non-elven! So I got her permission to share this with everyone. It shows up smaller here than the original, but I don't have time to work with the image right now.

Art by Laura Bost

Well, I should quit playing around and get back to work... :mrgreen:
Colin

Post by Colin »

You can't use a google mail link as an image, mate. You need to link to an actual image. :)

Colin
Tortog
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Tortog »

Thanks Collin... But that's weird, it showed up when I did the Preview.

OK...SO how about now?

Art still by Laura Bost :D
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Blood Axe »

Hows this coming along?
Tortog
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Tortog »

Hey Blood Axe, Thanx for asking!

Things are actually going quite well in spite of the fact that I got sidetracked by reading and prepping things for FRPG day, but I'm back on task for the next couple of days at least. Liber Arcanum now exists as a single manuscript; all of the spells and such that are going to be in it are finished, I'm just working out a few last details on presentation. I've got several readers working on the project sending me feed back and I've had three play testing sessions so far, all with good results. In fact I will be using some of the new material at the FRPG day events just to get some more exposure and feed back. I'm still hoping to get a preliminary copy to GG soon, but with FRPG day on the horizon I figure everyone's too busy to care right now.

Mostly I'm just coordinating things with the artists at this point, sending scribbles and ideas back and forth trying to help everyone dial in the 'look' for this project. Here's a (mostly final) list of what's available... 8)

1st level spells: 10 -> including a reprint of Mortal Runes (with new runes and uses)
2nd level spells: 11
3rd level spells: 8 -> including a reprint of Fey Runes (with new runes and uses)
4th level spells: 8
5th level Spells: 4
=41 new general spells

2 full patrons with 3 new spells each -
Aristemis the Wise (Patroness of Battle Wizards); And Delvyr the Luminous (Patron of wizards with a bent for exploration)

4 "lesser" patrons with dedicated spell lists that they can teach from and a plethora of powers and abilities for wizards
Lady Brinae, Princess of the Elemental Kingdom of Water
Lord Hraalvid, Prince of the Elemental Kingdom of Earth
Lady Kandyri-sek, Princess of the elemental Kingdom of Fire
The additional information for Ithha to comport with the others; this changes nothing presented in the Core Rules, it simply adds on information and powers granted to wizards.

descriptions and casting tables for:
1 Greater Ritual (6th level spell)
1 Rite (7th level spell)
As well as how they are implemented in game; frankly, they cannot be cast by one wizard, so the likelihood that they will be used by players is slim... these are designed mainly to act as the nuclei for a story or campaign, something that the players are haveing to prevent from happening, or they are acting in support of, or protecting the ritual. However, if your campaign has multiple wizards and they can get things organized, there should be no reason not to let them have some fun!

In addition to all that, there is a section that contains the optional rules that can make for some fun twists to the standard DCC paradigm as well as 'deeper mysteries' that can be discovered by wizards and other arcane characters who study from the tome. A Wizard can never know more than 3 deeper mysteries (unless they have Storyteller's permission) and they serve to give little advantages. For example: Deeper Mystery #4, Durable scrolls - the wizard that masters these long lost techniques can produce scrolls that don't fade from the parchment after use... most of the time. Sometimes things can go very wrong and there is a mishap table to cover these events. :twisted:

That's all for now folks, and remember: Don't stop to feed the trolls! :mrgreen:
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Blood Axe »

Thanks for the update, Ill be getting this! :D
Rostranor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rostranor »

I'm so on board for this +1D
Tortog
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Tortog »

Thanx for the encouragement! :D I just wanted to let everyone know that the manuscript for Liber Arcanum is finished. At this point I've turned it over to someone else for editing, so I'll be handing it in to GG for review as soon I get it back and make any needed changes. Probably a week or so, depending on their reading schedule, though I don't anticipate many revisions. If it passes preliminary inspection I'm turning loose the artists!

I can go live with the book within 3-4 days of getting all the art... how long it will take to get to that point is a variable that just can't be predicted easily. I'm pushing hard to get this done before the end of the year, we'll see what happens.

Thanx again everyone!
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

This looks to be great!
Tortog
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Tortog »

Well, I know it's a bit late, but I thought I'd post the link to my FRPG day game write-up. I wasn't sure where to post it, there are several threads available. Since I took that game as another opportunity to test some of the stuff from Liber Arcanum I figure here is as good a place as any to post the link to my blog. I talked about FRPG day over on this thread already:

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 60&t=44611

So no need to rehash things here other than to say that we had a great time once things got started!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a SPOILERS ALERT at the top of that page, and I'll put one here too. DON'T READ THE OTHER END OF THIS LINK or the rest of this post if you want to preserve the mysteries of The Imperishable Sorceress for future play.

http://myaereth.blogspot.com/2013/06/fr ... -post.html

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some of the things I did to speed things up a bit: removed area 1 and the attack at area 3... I re-tasked this monster to show up later in the module. I love the possibilities of this module for longer term play, especially with the mischief that the ancient builders can get up to given enough time. Unfortunately, even if things had gone smoothly I still had to trim a few things here and there to keep things moving along. Especially since I was hoping to run a story that combined both Imperishable Sorceress and Tower Out of Time in the game time-slots I'd reserved. In re-tasking the critter from area 3, I was able to jump start some of that mischief in the narrow time frames available. There, I think I said that vaguely enough that only the folks who've run it and played it will get the references... I hope.

One of the players is a fantastic sketch/ multimedia artist and I'm hoping to entice her into drawing a character sketch or one or two scenes from the game. I'm also in the process of arranging another session to run the second part I worked up as well as some test sessions later on if it can fit into everyone's schedule.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Thanks for posting that, Tortog! I am so glad you had fun with Sorceress!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Tortog
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Tortog »

@ RC> The only regret I have is that I lacked the time to play the subterfuge angle with you-know-who thanks to a lack of time. 8) Though I've managed to schedule a follow up session to run TOOT in a week or so. Who knows, if characters are played long enough I may get to use that angle after all. :twisted:

And I'll definitely be getting the rest of your modules ASAP! :mrgreen:
------------

In other news:

I spoke with the artist/player from FRPG day and she's going to work on some character and scene sketches to add to the story post in the near future.

As far as Liber Arcanum is concerned, the readers have been sending a lot of positive comments on the material and most of the early edits to come back are organizational rather than additions/subtractions to content. While generally a good sign, I fear the improved organization and format has made a mess of the art-plates I was setting up. :roll: Fortunately, the art spaces for this project are more rectilinear and faster to set up. Only lost a few days on the production schedule with the reorganization; but it really improved the flow of the book.

Oh ya, I dropped the Sonic Blast spell from the line-up. As much as I like that spell, I decided to replace it with another second level spell called Protection from (*). This is an arcane version of the cleric spell that only functions vs. living creatures as well as some of the more common hazards of adventuring. The spell contains a list of possible choices (by level of caster) that they can choose to be protected from for a short time. The casting check then sets the level of protection, and at the upper end of the table incenses the duration, but it caps out at 180min for tenth level caster with a 38+ result. I also wrote out the inverse spell Harm from (*), which causes targeted creatures or items to suffer additional harm from whatever the wizard has chosen to fill in the (*). Between the two they bring back some of my favorites like Protection from Arrows, ... from vermin, etc. There is also the potential for arrows and other things to be drawn to the afflicted target(s). 8)

Well, that's about all for now. I should get back to the editing bunker... :D
Tortog
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Tortog »

Well, the manuscript is finished and I've handed in a copy to Goodman Games for review. We'll see what happens, in the interim, I've got most of the art blocks set up to turn the artists loose on the project.

While I was waiting for editors and readers to report back I needed something to do, so amongst other things I put this together:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwB4eI0 ... sp=sharing

Just thought I'd share with everyone to see what you all think. It prints out well double sided on one sheet of paper.

:mrgreen:
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Cool table....interesting results and real consequences.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Tortog wrote:Well, the manuscript is finished and I've handed in a copy to Goodman Games for review. We'll see what happens, in the interim, I've got most of the art blocks set up to turn the artists loose on the project.

While I was waiting for editors and readers to report back I needed something to do, so amongst other things I put this together:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwB4eI0 ... sp=sharing

Just thought I'd share with everyone to see what you all think. It prints out well double sided on one sheet of paper.

:mrgreen:
Very cool. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the book.
Tortog
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Tortog »

OK...

So I've just finished with about 18-20 pages of revisions and such based on the feedback from Mr. G, as well as a full edit from front to back to tighten up a few loose ends. I'll be resubmitting something soon, but I think he'll like the new material. I don't foresee any difficulty in moving forward with the project after that, but I'll keep everyone posted.

Alas... Aristemis and Delvyr are no more. They've gotten total re-builds, but I like the new material even more. Thus it was that the Queen of Battle and Gydrion the Wanderer were born. :mrgreen:

Return to “DCC RPG Third Party Publishers”