Maximum Tech Level

Mutant Crawl Classics is the warped, mutant sci-fi twin to DCC. All Plantients, Manimals, Mutants and PSH are welcome here...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

D351
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Taiga Games

Maximum Tech Level

Post by D351 »

So, I’ve finished reading MCC and am preparing my first attempt at running it, but I have one mechanic I’m unsure of: does maximum Tech Level dictate what technology a character may *attempt* to understand or what technology they may *successfully* understand? If the former, how do you make that flow with RP? If the latter, do you cap their results on the check table or simply leave off any aspect of the result that mentions understanding? This last option feels the most intuitive to me and allows for more dumb luck moments, but I don’t feel like the rules were very clear.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Maximum Tech Level

Post by GnomeBoy »

I think it means that their Max Tech Level is the highest level of tech they can grasp on their own. If their Max is 4, they are never going to figure out a Plasma Sword by themselves.

I would expect they could be taught to use a Plasma Sword by someone with the appropriate Tech Level, but they can't do it on their own. If it breaks down, they would not be able to fix it, even if they had the needed parts and tools and all that. They just don't understand things at that level well enough, sort of like how some folks can work on cars and get them running again, but can't fix a modern car that has integrated computer systems... Show that modern car to someone from 1920 and they'd be lost.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Mutant Crawl Classics RPG”