Tech level checks and learning from others

Mutant Crawl Classics is the warped, mutant sci-fi twin to DCC. All Plantients, Manimals, Mutants and PSH are welcome here...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Belares
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Tech level checks and learning from others

Post by Belares »

So after a few sessions of running MCC my biggest complaint is TL. I understand that figuring out tech from the Ancient Ones should be very difficult. With that said, my groups seem to be 14 INT or less. That would be fine but running some the modules almost everything is TL 4+ and several important artifacts are TL 5-6. It is already been difficult to figure out the tech as the INT 14 character has destroyed several artifacts because he cant roll good. LOL The other players cant make the TL 4+ to even try to figure it out. I have devised an idea and I am sure others have adopted something similar so here goes: Any character can make a artifact check roll (with help from anyone INT 13+ getting the +1 to a max of +4) but for each stat grouping they are short on the TL they drop -1d on artifact check roll. So if a character has a 11 INT (max TL3) he could attempt a artifact check roll on a TL4 item but using a D16. If a healer finds a medipac TL5 and has a 10 INT she still gets her +2 artifact bonus and starts with a D24 but since it is TL5 and she can only do TL3 it drops -2d to a D16. Sentinels seem to have a great advantage on weapons/armor of the ancients so dropping a die or two isn't a huge deal. I don't think it overpowers the game and really it allows for more possible destroying, having to fix broken artifacts and even damage to characters.

The other thing I have wondered about is teaching someone to use a artifact you have learned to use. Can you show anyone even lower INT characters how to use the artifact with just a 10 INT roll? I am thinking the way they want it is they have to have the INT to use it. With that said, I think maybe adding to the DC of the INT roll would make sense. So you find a Dazer pistol TL 4 and you understand it and teach Gronn the hapless who has a 8 INT (max TL 2) then he would need to make a higher INT DC (adding +5 to DC is a bit much but maybe a +2 or +3). Going to be difficult with a -1 to roll as it is.

Would like to hear about some other home brew ideas out there.
Majestic
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Mugu Games

Re: Tech level checks and learning from others

Post by Majestic »

Characters figuring out the higher Tech Level artifacts is certainly difficult. My groups have really struggled, and most artifacts have caused damage; I think it was the fourth or fifth try before somebody finally succeeded.

One thing that has me confused with your proposed change. You seem to agree with me that discovering how to use artifacts is incredibly hard, especially with such low INT characters. But your proposed fix is to make the dice smaller? That reduces the chance of them doing really well even more.

Is your goal to make it easier or harder?
Belares
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Tech level checks and learning from others

Post by Belares »

Majestic wrote:Characters figuring out the higher Tech Level artifacts is certainly difficult. My groups have really struggled, and most artifacts have caused damage; I think it was the fourth or fifth try before somebody finally succeeded.

One thing that has me confused with your proposed change. You seem to agree with me that discovering how to use artifacts is incredibly hard, especially with such low INT characters. But your proposed fix is to make the dice smaller? That reduces the chance of them doing really well even more.

Is your goal to make it easier or harder?

Yes. The chance of a INT 10 character figuring out a TL 5 item is exactly....no chance until level 5. If you allow that at least they get a roll then it makes lower INT character get in on the fun. As I said in my post above, you get your artifact check modifiers as well. It isn't perfect but it helps everyone to make some checks not just a couple who have 13+ INT. Plus, they burn more luck. LOL I have used the idea in 2 games now. It seems to works out well. The one guy making all the rolls when an artifact is found is now not burning all his luck or destroying the artifact because he is a notorious low roller.

Return to “Mutant Crawl Classics RPG”