How are you working with the unexplained bits - Wetware

Mutant Crawl Classics is the warped, mutant sci-fi twin to DCC. All Plantients, Manimals, Mutants and PSH are welcome here...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Dagon Azrael
Ill-Fated Peasant

How are you working with the unexplained bits - Wetware

Post by Dagon Azrael »

Hi All,

So although the pdf of MCC got a bit fixed after there was a bit of an outcry about missing bits, there are still some things that bug me quite a lot in the beautiful hardback I just received.

The biggest is Wetware, where elements of the DCC spell rules have clearly been ported into MCC without explanation or adjustment.

Most importantly, there are references both in the intelligence ability description and the shaman class to max spell level and additional spells known, but the AI patron rules are very specific about what spells can be learned - there are only three per patron and these all max out at level 3.

My interpretation is that we’re expected to supplement the AI patron list with additional Wetware - perhaps spells just lifted from DCC - but there is no explanation of how or when new Wetware is learned. What are people doing here? A new spell learned per level as in DCC, maybe?

Also the AI Patron Bond Wetware p. 203-204 suggests additional Wetware can be substituted ‘per day’ for the Invoke Patron spell. This seems to forget that other Wetware does not have a ‘per day’ limit but may or may not be lost according to the d20 roll. I think this is just a lazy error. Any other interpretations of what’s going on there?

Other things:

Sentinels seem to cry out for mighty deeds. I’m going to exchange the warrior’s deed die for their bonus die.

Agility ability refers to two weapon fighting but there are no rules for this. I’m lifting that from DCC.

Do you think the wizard battle rules would import okay from DCC? I like them.
KJ Obrien
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: How are you working with the unexplained bits - Wetware

Post by KJ Obrien »

Dagon Azrael wrote: My interpretation is that we’re expected to supplement the AI patron list with additional Wetware - perhaps spells just lifted from DCC - but there is no explanation of how or when new Wetware is learned. What are people doing here? A new spell learned per level as in DCC, maybe?
As PSHs tend to be used as zero-level trap fodder in my group, I've yet to have a player run a shaman. If that day ever comes, my plan is to have their bonded patron(s) reward tasks with wetware programs (spells) from other sources - namely DCC and the Umerican Survival Guide. Active mutations from MCC would work as well. I also plan to entice the PC shaman to bond with more than one AI patron for additional spells.

Page 140:
"A shaman may bond with more than one Patron AI in order to acquire wetware programs beyond those offered by a single Patron AI, but such a plan should be very carefully considered by the player."

PS - the Umerican Survival Guide has a pretty awesome post-apoc flavored mercurial magic effect table if you want to spice up your wetware programs.
Dagon Azrael wrote: Also the AI Patron Bond Wetware p. 203-204 suggests additional Wetware can be substituted ‘per day’ for the Invoke Patron spell. This seems to forget that other Wetware does not have a ‘per day’ limit but may or may not be lost according to the d20 roll. I think this is just a lazy error. Any other interpretations of what’s going on there?
I don't think this was an error. As with Invoke Patron, additional wetware programs granted by an AI patron share the same spell slot uses per the Patron Bond result. So, for example, if you have two daily uses of Invoke Patron, and you fail a spell check while trying to run a wetware program, you can no longer use that wetware program for the rest of the day and only have one spell use left. I don't think MCC spells work the same as DCC's. In DCC, a wizard can cast a spell as many times as they like until they fail, where in MCC, the shamans have a set number of spells they can cast in a day. So a shaman with two spells per day can only cast two spells that day - whether they succeed or not. A bit more Vancian.

Page 140:
"Shamans can only learn wetware programs from a Patron AI to which they are bonded."

Since Shamans can only learn spells from bonded Patron AIs, their spell uses per day are directly tied to the Patron Bond result.
Dagon Azrael wrote: Sentinels seem to cry out for mighty deeds. I’m going to exchange the warrior’s deed die for their bonus die.
We haven't had a problem with the sentinel's artifact die. I think whether or not sentinels (or PSH classes in general) are viable entirely depends on the kind of game the Judge is running and whether or not they're enforcing things like artifacts being designed/intended for human use and AI recognition. PSH classes start to balance with mutants/plantients/manimals when they're the ones walking around in human form-fitted power armor, utilizing medical equipment that is intended for human use (and wipes out mutations it views as defects), while aided by the android who has a much easier time recognizing the PSH as an Ancient One rather than the plants and pets that follow them around.

Anyone can pull off a mighty deed, they just need to use their action die and describe their action instead of just attacking.
Dagon Azrael wrote: Agility ability refers to two weapon fighting but there are no rules for this. I’m lifting that from DCC.
Yeah, had to do the same. I pointed out that it was missing during the initial PDF review period, but I guess it was overlooked (or intentionally left out). Check penalties and movement rate adjustments from armor are missing as well, but they're easily lifted from DCC.

Return to “Mutant Crawl Classics RPG”