Plantients, Zero Level Characters and Artifact Checks

Mutant Crawl Classics is the warped, mutant sci-fi twin to DCC. All Plantients, Manimals, Mutants and PSH are welcome here...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

DavetheLost
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Plantients, Zero Level Characters and Artifact Checks

Post by DavetheLost »

Is there a modifier to artifact checks for Zero Level characters beyond their Intelligence modifier?

If not, it seems a bit cruel to Plantients that they actually get worse at using artifacts when they lvel up to first level. A level one Plantient having an artifact check modifier of -1.

I agree that Plantients should have a difficult time figuring out how to use technology, I just find it odd that a character would get worse at something going from level zero to level one. Granted level zeros need all the help they can get.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Plantients, Zero Level Characters and Artifact Checks

Post by Raven_Crowking »

It happens in DCC, too. Zero level PCs don't take any penalty for unfamiliar weapons.

Call it "the Luck of the Zeros" if you like. It isn't that they are actually better; it is that Fate is somehow looking out for them....until a more amusing death can be arranged.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

You have to think of the Funnel as being a bit more "adstracted" than full-on, leveled play. It uses simpler rules, so it plays faster and easier.

Some folks add the extra rules back into their funnels, because they want to...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
DavetheLost
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DavetheLost »

Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something. I haven't had the DCC experience, so...

Liking MCC so far.
Huyderman
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Outland

Post by Huyderman »

I house-ruled Pure-strained Humans to have +1 at level 0, and plantients −1. It felt weird to me having a character getting worse. But in a one-off, or if I wasn't sure we'd go into a campaign, I'd probably not bother and would rather keep it simple.
Belares
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Belares »

Huyderman wrote:I house-ruled Pure-strained Humans to have +1 at level 0, and plantients −1. It felt weird to me having a character getting worse. But in a one-off, or if I wasn't sure we'd go into a campaign, I'd probably not bother and would rather keep it simple.

That is an excellent rule I may use it. Out of 20 characters made I have seen only 2 rolled plantients. One was from the pre-generated scratch off sheet!
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

Maybe a beginning Plantient is a supple young sprout, open to new ideas & experiences.
Once he ages a bit, gains more experience, his bark hardens, he slows down and becomes more set in his way of thinking.
:wink:
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.

Return to “Mutant Crawl Classics RPG”