Mutation Checks?

Mutant Crawl Classics is the warped, mutant sci-fi twin to DCC. All Plantients, Manimals, Mutants and PSH are welcome here...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

DavetheLost
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Mutation Checks?

Post by DavetheLost »

The Mutation Check tables all include a result for a score of "1" "Failure, mutation cannot be used again that day. Roll for a defect."
The rules for Mutation Checks say to roll 1d20 and add the character's class level. This would result in a minimum score of "2" and that only for 1st level characters

Is the intention that Mutation Checks always fail on a natural 1?

If so does a roll of 1 also result in a defect, even if the modified Mutant Check score would be above 1?
hivemindx
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Gamers World

Re: Mutation Checks?

Post by hivemindx »

I wouldn't assume that a natural one has any special effect. Based on the rules as written it doesn't seem that there is any way to get the 1 result on the mutation check table.

My assumption is that the Luck modifier should come in here in a similar way to DCC and that rule was left out. This would mean that characters with a negative luck modifier could have a result of 1. If this was the intention then the tables should say "1 or less" so I'm not certain this is right.

Level zeroes can get a 1 but I don't think they would ever need to roll on these tables since they only have cosmetic mutations so I don't think that's the solution either.

Perhaps you are right though. A rule that said a natural one means you take the 1 result would make sense as otherwise defects during play (which are like corruption in DCC) would never happen.
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

A natural 1 is always a failure and always a fumble (defect) and always sucks and always happens at the most inopportune time.

Unless if your game you don't want it to work that way.

Thus endeth the lesson.
DavetheLost
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DavetheLost »

That's what happens in combat, but it isn't stated as a general rule anywhere in the book. Particularly in the Mutation Check mechanics.
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

First - I'm not here to tell you how to play. If you want to read the rules a specific way, or even ignore them, for your own purposes, go for it.

Second - here's why I would play the way I described (tongue in cheek)

a) There is a rule about Fortitude saves against radiation damage. That rules states that on a natural 1 (regardless of what modifiers may apply) the mutant loses a mutation.

b) If you use spell casting from DCC as the model for mutation checks (upon which they were obviously based) DCC is unequivocal that a natural one is always a failure
A spell check result of a natural 1 is always a failure. A result of 1 may also result in corruption or disapproval, as described below.
c) To use an active mutation, one must use an action die - just like an attack in combat:
Action dice are used to make attacks, use mutations,or execute wetware programs.
d) When using an Action Die for combat, a natural 1 is always a failure:
A natural roll of 1 is a fumble. Fumbles automatically miss, and the attacker must roll the appropriate die on the fumble (chart)
[sic]

Again - this is why I would rule it at my table the way I would. There is nothing that says you have to rule that way - that's up to you.
KJ Obrien
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by KJ Obrien »

Jim Skach wrote:b) If you use spell casting from DCC as the model for mutation checks (upon which they were obviously based) DCC is unequivocal that a natural one is always a failure
Here's the problem with that. Per the MCC Kickstarter:
"Do I need to own a copy of DCC RPG to enjoy MCC RPG? No! MCC RPG is deliberately designed to be stand-alone. The MCC hardcover includes all the basic rules needed to play. If you own DCC RPG your enjoyment will be enhanced, but that is not necessary."
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

KJ Obrien wrote:
Jim Skach wrote:b) If you use spell casting from DCC as the model for mutation checks (upon which they were obviously based) DCC is unequivocal that a natural one is always a failure
Here's the problem with that. Per the MCC Kickstarter:
"Do I need to own a copy of DCC RPG to enjoy MCC RPG? No! MCC RPG is deliberately designed to be stand-alone. The MCC hardcover includes all the basic rules needed to play. If you own DCC RPG your enjoyment will be enhanced, but that is not necessary."
I'm not going to argue about whether or not the MCC release lives up to expectations - I'm only providing insight as to why I would rule the way I would.

Here are the two questions from the original post:
DavetheLost wrote:Is the intention that Mutation Checks always fail on a natural 1?

If so does a roll of 1 also result in a defect, even if the modified Mutant Check score would be above 1?
I'm answering those two questions as follows:
Yes.
Yes.

I did so tongue in cheek, so when pressed I provided my own personal reasons for doing so.

It's your game - do what you want with it.
DavetheLost
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DavetheLost »

Thank you Jim. I agree with your answers and with your reasoning. I just think a sentence should have been added clarifying the intent in that rule.

I do like the 5% risk of developing a defect every time you use a mutation. It may cause some players to think twice.
meerling
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Emerald Comics and Funagain Games

Post by meerling »

So what would people suggest when a Natural 20 is rolled for a Mutation Check?

Also, I don't recall seeing any attribute add to the Mutation Check like DCC clerics & wizards can do with spells.
KJ Obrien
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by KJ Obrien »

meerling wrote:So what would people suggest when a Natural 20 is rolled for a Mutation Check?
With a Natural 20, you could go with how Wizards worked in DCC with a Natural 20 - they got to double their class level bonus. So a level 2 mutant would add 4 to his/her mutation check on a Natural 20.

Could also allow the automatic critical rule Wizards had as well. But obviously the mutant would use Glowburn instead:
"There is one additional option for spellburn. A wizard who sacrifices a full 20 points of ability scores in one fell swoop automatically treats his next spell check as a roll of natural 20."

Return to “Mutant Crawl Classics RPG”