Combat - Actions

Mutant Crawl Classics is the warped, mutant sci-fi twin to DCC. All Plantients, Manimals, Mutants and PSH are welcome here...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

hivemindx
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Gamers World

Combat - Actions

Post by hivemindx »

I've been going through the combat chapter and I've a question about actions. This is a clarification really but I think the list of possibilities in the example might be misleading. I realise it is probably not meant to be exhaustive but it could be read that it is and some pretty important options are left out, making me wonder if they are not allowed.

Here's the text of the rule:-
A character has one or more actions each round, expressed as action dice. Most characters have one action die, which is a d20. Higher-level characters may have two or more actions, expressed as action dice, such as d20+d16.
Each round, a character or monster may move its normal speed and do one thing for each of its action dice. The actions a character takes depend on his Class.
All characters can take another movement for one of their actions.
Does this mean that a character can move and then use their action die but not the reverse? In other words as a character with a single d20 action I am not allowed make an attack roll and then move away? I think this is correct but could be clearer.

When moving instead of taking an action this uses up one action perhaps leaving others available. Only a single action can be used for movement. So to use some examples that aren't listed, a character with a d20+d16 can do the following in addition to the examples given in the rules:-
  • Move, Attack (d20), Move again (d16)
  • Move, Move again (d16), Attack (d20)
  • Attack (d20), Move (d16) (standard move not allowed after the attack)
What is the intention of the rule? Should my examples be allowed? Assuming the intention is that standard movement must come before actions then characters with a second action get to move double and then attack or move in to combat, attack and then move out. This is obviously very strong but completely justifiable for an entity that has two or more actions. I just would like to know if it is correct.
smarttman
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: TBS Comics

Re: Combat - Actions

Post by smarttman »

I read this too, I think it is a typo. I'd put this in the errata section
DavetheLost
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DavetheLost »

I checked the DCC rules for comparison. The stated rule and examples are the same, with the addition of spell casting as an action.

Since all the given examples place the order as Movement then Action(s) I think this is the intent of the rule.
hivemindx
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Gamers World

Post by hivemindx »

I had a look at the DCC rules forums and found a couple of threads on this. There is no definitive answer of course, but people seem to think Move then Act or Act then Move are both allowed. If multiple actions are available then Move, Act, Move again is possible.

Actions question
Actions
Movement question

Note that Act then Move is a little unattractive unless you've killed your target since they will get a free attack on you as specified in the Withdrawal rule on book page 130.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Each round, a character or monster may move its normal speed and do one thing for each of its action dice.
I'll have cake and ice cream please. ...Wait, you're saying I have to eat them in the order I mentioned them...? Srsly?

The "and" is not a "then". Simple as that. Pie a la mode.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Mutant Crawl Classics RPG”