Hive of the Overmind Review

Mutant Crawl Classics is the warped, mutant sci-fi twin to DCC. All Plantients, Manimals, Mutants and PSH are welcome here...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

airboy
Ill-Fated Peasant

Hive of the Overmind Review

Post by airboy »

I have a detailed review based on both a play-through and subsequently purchasing and reading the module.

Although I've tried to avoid spoilers, there are a couple of things in this module I would recommend modifying before running. Those things had to be described in enough detail to both understand the situation and to understand my suggested changes.

See: https://averysgameblog.wordpress.com/20 ... -overmind/
ORtrail
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Infinite Frontiers

Re: Hive of the Overmind Review

Post by ORtrail »

Good to have some insight on this adventure. For a one-shot type of adventure this might be okay, or as the very start of a campaign, but now I know it isn't the adventure to just insert into an ongoing campaign.
clairelenore
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: i don't get out much ...

Post by clairelenore »

we played this and didn't lose a single character to bosses! however, i lost one zero-level dude and two guys who had leveled up in artifact mishaps. :roll: i was like, oh, i better make this dude a sentinel coz he has only 1 hp. then i rolled a 3 on the 12-sided die. then he used his first-level sentinelness to figure out a laser pistol. then i was like, i better have him teach someone else to use this, or his 4-hit-point-having loser self will get killed and someone else will break it trying to figure it out. then the guy he was teaching rolled a 1 and they both took max damage.

did your game master not let your zeroes level up during play? it seemed like there was lots of opportunity to get in 4 or 5 fights before getting to the boss, and even if you lose half your 18-24 zeroes, you'd still be going up against the bosses with 9-12 level 1 characters, which i would think would be plenty.
airboy
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by airboy »

No leveling up during the game. The module itself states that at the end the 0s are now first level. It is described and sold as a 0 level funnel.

The way your judge ran it would be more survivable.
clairelenore
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: i don't get out much ...

Post by clairelenore »

spoilers for anybody reading this that hasn’t read the module!

well, it says the characters level up at the end, but it also says on that page with the goo that if they get new mutations while they’re zero level they roll a 16-sided die and if they get them while they’re first level they roll the normal die. so they obviously figured there might be some leveling up before the end. our group split up at one point and got different amounts of xp and we still had some zeroes when it wrapped up, which is why i assume it says you level up when you finish, so anybody like that isn’t left as a zero after all that work and trauma!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

If the judge says you level, you level.

If the judge says not, not.

The game works either way. I prefer leveling at 10 xp.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “Mutant Crawl Classics RPG”