Lankhmar: How Different Are the Rules and Why

Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar setting, home to the legendary Fafhrd and Gray Mouser, is the first officially licensed setting for the DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

herecomethejudge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Lankhmar: How Different Are the Rules and Why

Post by herecomethejudge »

I'm aware that the DCC Lankhmar adventures can be run with standard rules and probably will do that since I don't have the whole supplement, just the two $2 adventures and the Ningauble's cave setting from DTRPG. But, I was wondering, how different are the actual Lankhmar rules, and how specifically do they enhance the gameplay in this setting?
herecomethejudge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Lankhmar: How Different Are the Rules and Why

Post by herecomethejudge »

Update: I had never read OD&D until recently and was not aware that "In the Beginning," there were only three classes: fighting-man, magic-user, and cleric. That part of it makes sense to me now.
Turelus
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Lankhmar: How Different Are the Rules and Why

Post by Turelus »

I've been listening to Spellburn and recently just passed the couple of episodes where they announced Lankhmar kickstarter and had Michael Curtis on the show to talk about it.

I think the big difference I remember is that there is Cleric class, healing is instead done by spending luck to avoid some of the damage and catching a breath to heal outside of combat. Also there is a fleeting luck mechanic in which everything "cool" gives a luck to someone to spend, but if anyone at the table rolls a 1 then everyone loses their fleeting luck, so the idea is to spend it fast rather than try and save it for the big moments.

I might be slightly off on those though and not 100% on the rule changes myself.

Return to “DCC Lankhmar”