Boxed Set Release?

Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar setting, home to the legendary Fafhrd and Gray Mouser, is the first officially licensed setting for the DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

gashlycrumb
Ill-Fated Peasant

Boxed Set Release?

Post by gashlycrumb »

Hello, does anyone know an ETA for the complete Lankhmar boxed set? I'm eager to buy the 3 current releases now, but would rather wait for the boxed set.

Thanks!
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Boxed Set Release?

Post by catseye yellow »

current releases are usable with your regular dcc game. i bought them in pdf and i suggest you do the same to get a taste. also i am not sure if all of that will be reprinted in the boxed set.
gashlycrumb
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by gashlycrumb »

Thanks Catseye. Are the pdfs only available through drivethrurpg or are there pdf and print bundle options through the Goodman Games site?

Thanks!
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

i got mine through rpgnow. masks is great adventure and patrons book is really charming with one patron that i can not wait to introduce somehow.
davidw
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by davidw »

I prefer e23 for the pdfs - no annoying watermark.
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

i grabbed this form g+ group for all of us that for one or another reason prefer and check forums more often.
Michael Curtis
3:47 PM+

Warning: Long Reply Ahead

The DCC Lankhmar supplements currently available (Through Ningauble’s Cave, Patrons of Lankhmar, and Masks of Lankhmar) are designed to serve multiple purposes. First, they whet the appetite for the full DCC Lankhmar boxed set that will be coming in 2016. The contents of that box are in the final writing stages and in a closed playtest at the moment. While not completely finished, all of us involved are tremendously pleased with how everything is working overall and have great expectations for the first full DCC Lankhmar release.

Secondly, the B/W cover supplements are intended to be “bridging books,” useful to all DCC RPG judges regardless of whether they have any interest in using Nehwon as a campaign setting or not. “Through Ningauble’s Cave” describes the multi-world nexus that is the abode of Ningauble of the Seven Eyes. Want a way to get to Nehwon? Insert a cave entrance leading to Ningauble’s home in your home game and let the PCs take the trip. Want to explore other DCC RPG “worlds” like the Shudder Mountains, Purple Planet, post-apocalyptic disasters like MCC or Under a Broken Moon, or what-have-you? You can use this supplement and never step foot in Nehwon. “Patrons of Lankhmar” provides six new patron write-ups that can be used as written or reskinned in you DCC game. “Masks of Lankhmar” is an intro adventure designed to kickoff a DCC Lankhmar campaign, but it can easily be relocated to any urban setting and tweaked to remove Lankhmar specific references. This was all intended from Day One.

Thirdly, they allow us to get some public playtesting in. Groups can use this material or play through “Masks” and we can gauge were we went wrong or right based on the feedback we receive from emails, forum posts, or Goggle+ interaction.

As for updating the PDFs, I’d say that’s not going to happen. In fact, these three supplements are unlikely to be reprinted in their current format, so if you’re a collector, I’d grab them now. It’s probable that some of the material will be repeated in the DCC Lankhmar boxed set and later supplemental materials but not all of it will be. I doubt “Masks” will ever be repeated in the large DCC Lankhmar releases so you might want to grab that one now. Patron write-ups will likely appear again, albeit expanded ones, but it may be some time before we see that again. For example, the Rat God patron write-up might be better suited to be included with an Ilthmar city book and who knows when we’ll release that? The Sea King patron material might be shuffled into a book of sea-based adventures or something on Nehwon. “Ningauble’s Cave” might appear in abridged format, but without the geomorphs or adventure seeds for example in order to meet space allotments.

Short answer: PDFs won’t be updated, DCC Lankhmar boxed set in 2016, and more supplements after that.
dstack
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by dstack »

Just curious if there's anything new on a rough ETA on the Lankhmar Boxed Set? I did a little googling on Google+ and the latest news I could find is Michael Curtis' update. Finally got around to checking out the Goodman Games Lankhmar books and now I want more... :-)

It's totally OK if Michael responds "it won't be out till 2017, but just for you Dan here's a digital copy of the book, feel free to share it with your group". Just saying.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

I've seen the playtest version and I'm quite happy with the way it's written. I'm a bit out of the loop at the moment as to how things have been updated, and I don't know the release date, but I can say that a main manuscript is going through shake-down and good things are happening with DCC Lankhmar so hang in there....
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

finarvyn wrote:I've seen the playtest version and I'm quite happy with the way it's written. I'm a bit out of the loop at the moment as to how things have been updated, and I don't know the release date, but I can say that a main manuscript is going through shake-down and good things are happening with DCC Lankhmar so hang in there....
Totally off the subject, but Marv...the DCC image in your signature says "Second printing in stores now". :P
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

mythfish wrote:
finarvyn wrote:I've seen the playtest version and I'm quite happy with the way it's written. I'm a bit out of the loop at the moment as to how things have been updated, and I don't know the release date, but I can say that a main manuscript is going through shake-down and good things are happening with DCC Lankhmar so hang in there....
Totally off the subject, but Marv...the DCC image in your signature says "Second printing in stores now". :P
Hey, Myth. I don't really update my sig much. :lol:

Guess I might want to look for a more updated image, eh? :wink:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

frankly, from what i have gleaned from stuff published up to now and sparse playtest reports hinting at rules changes DCCL is what i am looking for. little bit subdued yet appendix N fueled clericless DCC goodness.
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by michaelcurtis »

Everything is written, so my part of the design process is finished (although we'll probably still be tweaking stuff during the Kickstarter and there's always stretch goals). Obviously, there's a big MCC Kickstarter just getting finished and we wouldn't want to throw another one at the fans too soon. Ultimately, it'll be up to Joseph Goodman to decide when he wants to give this a go. There might be information forthcoming at the "What's New with Goodman Games?" panel at Gen Con. Stay tuned.
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.

Return to “DCC Lankhmar”