WC7

Here we can discuss James M. Ward's METAMORPHOSIS ALPHA game.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

kglaze
Ill-Fated Peasant

WC7

Post by kglaze »

Hi - I'm new on the forums and just wanted say that I have really enjoyed all the new MA 1e products you guys have been putting out.

I have a question about some of the weapons listed in the Warden Armory sourcebook. Weapons such as the Bio-Heavy types, Gamma, Kinetic and others are listed as having a WC7 which in the weapon class charts is listed as Sonic Metal Disruptor Pistol. The Hit or Miss Chart shows WC7 as having "No Effect" on AC8 - AC4. I was wondering if this was error? I've always assumed WC7 type weapons would only effect metal armors and the weapon types I listed don't seem to be specific to metal armor the way the Sonic Disruptor is.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: WC7

Post by finarvyn »

That's the problem sometimes with the MA weapon class system (as compared with weapons in most other RPGs) -- any new weapon has to be associated with an existing WC or you have to rebulid the combat table with a new column for the weapon.

I often don't stress the intent of the WC but just grab the number on the chart and go with it, but if you come up with a "fix" to the table why not post it here. Maybe we can give it a shakedown and see how it works in play! :D
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
kglaze
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by kglaze »

Thanks for the reply! I changed them over to WCs that worked for me, either 4,5 or 6 depending on the weapon description. I like to keep 7, 8 or 9 specific to disruptors or vibro weapons.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Good choice. I think one strength of the really "old school" games, such as Metamorphosis Alpha, is the spirit of tweaking things as you like them and not feeling tied to the rules as much as what you might find in newer RPGs. This foils rules lawyers and makes the game play the way you like it.

Win-win. :D
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “Metamorphosis Alpha”