Goodman Games
http://goodman-games.com/forums/

Purple Planet Funnel, Campaign
http://goodman-games.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=48110
Page 2 of 23

Author:  TerraGoetia [ Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Purple Planet Funnel, Possible Campaign

Results added to the update, feel free to take this turn's actions!

Author:  soulcatcher78 [ Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Purple Planet Funnel, Possible Campaign

Lucky Lou:
*Grunting and straining* Kicks at Wheezy. "Help me lazy bones"
Sunny Jim:
*strokes his bear* Takes a closer look at the masonry where the chains attach and attempts to help Lou break the chain free .
"Wheezy" Smith:
*cough* "You overestimate your own strength you great beast" but he adds his hands to the attempt *cough*
Bob (the not so mighty):
*rolls his eyes* "How do you all expect me to work a miracle in the dark while you keep yanking the chain?" as he continues to work the lock

Author:  TerraGoetia [ Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Purple Planet Funnel, Possible Campaign

Bob can roll for picking locks, d20-2 now that people are starting to move the chain around vigorously.

Anyone attempting to help pull the chain out of the wall can roll a d20 for strength. I'll do the mechanics on that based on who is helping and what others are doing.

Author:  Judge Blackthorn [ Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Purple Planet Funnel, Possible Campaign

thelonious
Attempts to slip his bonds and rolls a 2.
Duke
Orders her team to stop struggling and let one if the others go for the key. With her 16 personality the other 4 comply.

Author:  soulcatcher78 [ Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Purple Planet Funnel, Possible Campaign

Lucky Lou:
Rolls 2
Sunny Jim:
Rolls 11
"Wheezy" Smith:
Rolls 4 *cough*, *cough*
Bob (the not so mighty):
Rolls 17 (-2)

Author:  Bilgewriggler [ Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Purple Planet Funnel, Possible Campaign

Nurzual: As it seems that collaboration strains our patience so intolerably, I recommend we try using one of these weapons as a lever in our attempt to break loose from the wall.

Qort: Right -- screw collarboning and let's use the axes to chop ourselves loose!

Nurzual: No, I mean ...


Being familiar with levers (shoehorn), Brandybland tries to reach a weapon that appears both long and sturdy. For instance, an axe or spear that could go through one of the wall rings.

Jingles: Yeah! If we loop some of the chain around the top, we can all throw our weight on it and it ought to pop right out.

Snooth rolls a 17 in lending his strength to the effort to pull the fixtures from the wall.

Author:  GnomeBoy [ Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Purple Planet Funnel, Possible Campaign

Stinky Pete continues to strain against a chain that's being manipulated by other people, Kelven kicking him occasionally to spur him on. Maybe if other efforts subside, he'll suddenly be successful...?

Lucius keeps an interested eye on the attempts to pry the chain away from the wall, and glances out to the fake weapons to see if there is one in his reach with which he might help.

Author:  TerraGoetia [ Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Purple Planet Funnel, Possible Campaign

Update 2


Bob the Not so Mighty manages to pick the locks restraining him, and is free. The key hangs from the middle of the room. You can see the outline of a door along the northern wall. The room is dimly lit as the torch sputters against the sand; you wonder how long you have until the light goes out.

These are the fake weapons you're able to spot on the floor:
Wooden Axe,
Wooden Spear x 5,
Wooden Long Sword x3,
Wooden Dagger,
A Wooden staff pained silver, with a spout at the top.

Go ahead and take what you need from that.

Thelonious is still stuck, having been unable to slip his bonds.

Duke and her team stand disciplined while the others continue to struggle.

Between Snooth and Sunny Jim, the ring attaching your chain to the wall bends inwards. Its wall anchor must have moved slightly.

You hear a sudden roar from the crowd You can only imagine the unspeakable brutality happening in the arena right now. Death awaits you.


Stinky Pete needs a roll (for this turn) to see if he was able to help with the chain.

Author:  soulcatcher78 [ Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Purple Planet Funnel, Possible Campaign

Lucky Lou:
Sighs at his inability to pull the chains out and waits to be unlocked. Once he's free he will grab a wooden axe (the better to bludgeon you with).
Sunny Jim:
So much for all that talk of "leverage" in pirate movies. Once he's free he will grab a wooden spear.
"Wheezy" Smith:
*cough* told you so *cough*. Once he's free he will grab a wooden spear.
Bob (the not so mighty):
Goes for the key so he can begin unlocking the others (hope that's what the key is for) - unlocking in order of posts. If he can kick any weapons closer to the chained PCs while doing this so much the better.

Author:  Bilgewriggler [ Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Purple Planet Funnel, Possible Campaign

If Brandybland has been able to reach the axe or a spear, she will slide the haft through the weakened ring holding the chain to the wall and loop her chain around the top of the weapon per Jingles' suggestion.

Brandybland (to Snooth and Sunny Jim): Here, guys, grab hold of the chain right here and let's all put our weight into it!

Snooth follows her lead. He rolls an 11 and Brandybland rolls a 19 on the strength check. Jingles joins them, rolling 17.

Qort: I thought we were s'posed to be chopping at the chains.


Nurzual (to Bob TNSM): Now, have a care when you try to turn that key ... it looks a bit fragile!

Nurzual rolls a 10+1=11 on a skill check to use his jeweler's eye to spot any specific weaknesses in the key that he can use to advise Bob in more detail.

Author:  TerraGoetia [ Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Purple Planet Funnel, Possible Campaign

soulcatcher78 wrote:
Bob (the not so mighty):
Goes for the key so he can begin unlocking the others (hope that's what the key is for) - unlocking in order of posts. If he can kick any weapons closer to the chained PCs while doing this so much the better.


Can you clarify what your unlock order is? I don't understand.

Author:  TerraGoetia [ Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Purple Planet Funnel, Possible Campaign

I didn't get actions from everyone, so I'll wait until tonight to process everyone's actions. If people start consistently not acting I'll have to skip their turns so everyone else can play. I want to be fair to everyone.

Author:  GnomeBoy [ Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Purple Planet Funnel, Possible Campaign

TerraGoetia wrote:
Stinky Pete needs a roll (for this turn) to see if he was able to help with the chain.

I rolled a d20 (hope that's what you were looking for) and got a whopping 5... :roll:

[sorry, it was a very busy Sunday]

Author:  TerraGoetia [ Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Purple Planet Funnel, Possible Campaign

GnomeBoy wrote:
[sorry, it was a very busy Sunday]


Not mad at all, just not sure if it's fair-er to wait for busy people or skip over them so those here can play. If anyone has a preference please let me know.

Author:  TerraGoetia [ Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Purple Planet Funnel, Possible Campaign

Update 3
With the advice from the locksmith, Bob the Not So Mighty is able to double the uses he would have normally. You're able to get SIX uses out of the key before it snaps. As far as the remaining locked party members, I'm loathe to watch Bob do a minimum of 12 lockpicking checks; you can automatically pick anyone's lock for the cost of 10 minutes (one in-game turn). With the party's agreement, we can time-skip to everyone being free.

Please let me know what you want to do.

Author:  GnomeBoy [ Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Purple Planet Funnel, Possible Campaign

TerraGoetia wrote:
GnomeBoy wrote:
[sorry, it was a very busy Sunday]


Not mad at all, just not sure if it's fair-er to wait for busy people or skip over them so those here can play. If anyone has a preference please let me know.


No worries -- I didn't take it as being mad, just wanted to 'splain myse'f.

I think when I ran a play-by-post here, I just figured on making one "move" per day, and would do more if I had replies. In other words whatever came up, people had about 24 hours to respond or we'd move on without their input. And I think I counted weekends as one day, in that schema.

There were things I sort of summarized, too -- so it depends on how granular you want to go with any given obstacle.

/2ยข

Author:  Bilgewriggler [ Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Purple Planet Funnel, Possible Campaign

I'm just happy to be playing, so I'll go with consensus on whether to skip people or wait. I do hesitate to wait more than one day, though, if there's a prolonged absence. It might get easy to lose momentum that way.

I'm fine fast-forwarding to everyone being unlocked, but Nurzual would suggest some of the unlocked folks examine the door and keep an ear out for anyone approaching.

Author:  TerraGoetia [ Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Purple Planet Funnel, Possible Campaign

I haven't done play by post before (I've done either online through chat programs or in person), so I'm open to lots of feedback; it'll help me do better, seriously.

Author:  Judge Blackthorn [ Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Purple Planet Funnel, Possible Campaign

Sorry for the delay on replying - I'm good with being skipped, punished, or whatever the Judge feels is best for going 24 hours without a reply. I'll try to be more prompt.

Duke Makes eyes at the holder of the key and suggests that if she is unlocked it will be worth his while.

Thelonious, Leibgott, Blackthorn, and Ketteringstare at her incredulously and begin trying to use the fake weapons they obtained as leavers to attempt to break free of their bonds.

Author:  Judge Blackthorn [ Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Purple Planet Funnel, Possible Campaign

Also will be fine with time skipping the lock pick checks if all others are in agreement.

Author:  GnomeBoy [ Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:55 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Purple Planet Funnel, Possible Campaign

Time skipping is fine by me.

Stinky Pete will dole out portions of his three-days worth of rations to everybody while we wait for that process to be complete, so we all at least have some fortification for whatever comes next....

Author:  TerraGoetia [ Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Purple Planet Funnel, Possible Campaign

Update 4
With deft lock picking, Bob frees the remaining captives. The torch on the floor flickers as the party's movements swirl the sand. Against the north wall is a wooden door with a simple handle--no lock and no latch. The door is attached to the wall by leather strips--you wonder why there are not metal hinges.

After the prolonged effort of several party members, the manacle chain releases from the wall. Leverage and good-old-fashioned effort are enough to pop both anchors.

As Duke flirts for favors and Stinky Pete doles out rations, listening party members are able to hear the sound of a roaring, rowdy crowd. You also hear what sounds like distressed mooing.


What will the party do?

Author:  Judge Blackthorn [ Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Purple Planet Funnel, Possible Campaign

Duke "better to die fighting in the sunlight than groveling in the dark" she swings the door open and stand behind it. Liebgottt and Duke charge out to face whatever danger lurks outside. Thelonious grabs a spear and follows the others out. Blackthorn, less than impressed with Duke's "leadership," hangs back near the door facing to see what dangers are lurking without before commiting to attack.

(Unless, of course, the door doesn't open in which case they all just stand their laughing at Duke like idiots)

Author:  Bilgewriggler [ Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Purple Planet Funnel, Possible Campaign

Nurzual says: Let's bring the length of chain in case we find a use for it. You there, with the backpack ... help me gather it up and we'll put it in there for you to carry.

Snooth agrees and, taking care not to crush his sheaf of parchment, tries to fit the loose chain in his backpack.

By my count, there are still quite a few wooden weapons in the sand. Jingles will pick up a longsword. Qort will take a spear. Brandybland takes the wooden dagger.

Author:  TerraGoetia [ Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Purple Planet Funnel, Possible Campaign

Update 5

As Leibgott, Thelonious, and Duke charge through the door, they find themselves in a short hallway, about 40 feet long and wide enough for two people. At the end of the hall is a circular room, roughly 30 feet in diameter; a depression in the floor allows blood and water to flow down a large drain. From the circular room, there are exits to the left (west) and right (east). From your current position, you cannot see where they lead. Due north is a ramp leading up to an archway. The eerie light of the eclipsed sun glows through the archway, and the sounds of combat roar. The only light sources are the torch on the floor behind you, and the archway ahead.

In the circular room, a large, hunched humanoid (6 feet tall while bent forward) is attempting to lead the cow towards the ramp. The creature is covered in scars, and its facial features remind you of a bear. The creature wears leather scraps sewn together, and is wielding a flint spear. He catches sight of the heroes as they charge into the hall; his spear comes ready as the Kith moves in front of the cow. He shouts a war cry and prepares to fight!


Kith Tanner rolls a 22 initiative.
Each player should roll one initiative check with your highest modifier among your characters. Anyone who doesn't roll will be assigned an initiative of 1.

Here is how we'll streamline fighting:
Everyone rolls Init.
I ask each person in order what they will do, and process it.
When done, we move to the next combat round.

You won't have to wait a full day for combat updates, as long as everyone is paying attention!

Page 2 of 23 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/