DCC 87.5 Grimtooth's Museum of Death (SUSPENDED)

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

ProdigalWilliam
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Everybody Reads

Re: DCC 87.5 Grimtooth's Museum of Death (run as a funnel)

Post by ProdigalWilliam »

Wait, am I reading that the floor around the fountain now also being filled with water because of the hole? My characters are moving onto the wall surrounding the fountain if that is so and if they can.
MoD Demi-humans
Elrod, Elven Sage - 2hp, 11AC, HP: 2, str16(+2) agl13(+1) sta8(-1) per15(+1) int10(0) luc10(0); init: 1; ref(1), fort(-1), wil(1)
Pitchfork +2 (1d8+2); Chest: (rope (50'), Parchment, quill pen, 15 cp)

Celebron, Elven Barrister - 2hp, 10AC, str11(0) agl9(0) sta11(0) per12(0) int15(+1) luc5(-2); init: 0; ref(0), fort(0), wil(0); Lucky Sign: Hawkeye (Missile fire damage rolls) (1)
Dagger (1d4), Quill (1d4+1); Lg Sack: (Book, Candle, Torches (3), 20 cp)

Halfling, Halfling Vagrant - 4hp, 10AC, str11(0) agl9(0) sta12(0) per9(0) int14(+1) luc10(0); init: 0; ref(0), fort(2), wil(0); Lucky Sign: Lived through famine (Fortitude saving throws) (+2)
Club (1d4); Lg Sack: (Begging Bowl, Oil Flask, Flint+Steel, Iron Spikes 3)

Legolad, Elven Falconer - 1hp, 10AC, str8(-1) agl9(0) sta15(+1) per7(-1) int13(+1) luc14(+1); init: 0; ref(0), fort(1), wil(1); Lucky Sign: Survived the plague (Magical healing) (1)
Dagger -1 (1d4-1); Lg Sack: (Torches 2, Chalk 2); Falcon, Aerandir
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Yan Ambrady, dressed in black, a two-day growth of stubble on his rugged chin, starts observing things more carefully.

"Wait, there's still water coming out of the fountain, even though it's leaking out onto the floor, not going back into the system..."

His eyes flash wide. "We should get out of this room right now! The water's coming from elsewhere, the statue may still be live with electricity and we're flooding the room -- get out now!"

Yan high-tails it and Yadin follows him

Freebo is slower on the uptake, obviously trying to follow the 'flow' of the situation with his eyes, his head swinging up, down and around, as if trying to see the workings of things unseen.

Skaath hears what Yan's saying, but those GEMS!!! He tries to grab one of them before skee-daddling out of the room! [All-purpose d20 roll: 15]
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

StarShifter wrote:Chance: "Alright! Let's get out of here!"

Gromluck marches south, out of the fountain room, carefully retracing his path back to the elevator. When in doubt, he tests the floor with the handle of his hammer.

Vijo and Chance wait to see if the others are going to follow...
quozl wrote:Tellessa grabs the scoop and climbs in...
Fenris Ulfhamr wrote:Emboldened by Telessa's example, Algaroth also steps gingerly into the fountain...
ProdigalWilliam wrote:Wait... My characters are moving onto the wall surrounding the fountain if that is so and if they can.
GnomeBoy wrote:"Wait... "We should get out of this room right now!
wow. Okay, here we go...

The Good News
Even with her low AC and lower luck, when Telessa steps onto one of the pressure plates within the fountain and activates the statue, it stabs down mechanically & just misses her with the massive 12' trident.

The Bad News
The trident is fully electrified and it does not miss the water. It releases a excessively lethal (9d6) surge of killing electricity upon doing so.

Within the fountain: Telessa dies. Algaroth dies.

(Just) Outside the fountain: Barnum dies. Bailey (sniff) dies. Skaath dies. Freebo dies. Shaun dies (I feel baa-ad about that, too).

Gromluck (outside the chamber) Chance, & Vijo (the water hasn't reached the entrance yet) are fine. I guess sometimes splitting from the party works out okay ;-)

Everyone else? Even a surge that massive dissipates (somewhat). Still, each Player (StarShifter excepted) make a single d20 roll. Then make two separate d20 rolls per not-dead-yet character. Both may need to be high, like a save. Both might be better if they're low, like a luck check. You may need one of each (not tellin'..). Don't forget the remaining animals (the goose is at the chamber's wall, she's okay).

Image X a bunch
ProdigalWilliam
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Oof, just barely dodged the worst of that. Let's see if I can't roll my characters to their deaths.

Player roll: 3.

Down the line as in my sig for each character:

Also, the falcon flew up into the air as soon as it noticed the statue moving. Reflex roll: 15.
MoD Demi-humans
Elrod, Elven Sage - 2hp, 11AC, HP: 2, str16(+2) agl13(+1) sta8(-1) per15(+1) int10(0) luc10(0); init: 1; ref(1), fort(-1), wil(1)

Celebron, Elven Barrister - 2hp, 10AC, str11(0) agl9(0) sta11(0) per12(0) int15(+1) luc5(-2); init: 0; ref(0), fort(0), wil(0); Lucky Sign: Hawkeye (Missile fire damage rolls) (1)

Halfling, Halfling Vagrant - 4hp, 10AC, str11(0) agl9(0) sta12(0) per9(0) int14(+1) luc10(0); init: 0; ref(0), fort(2), wil(0); Lucky Sign: Lived through famine (Fortitude saving throws) (+2)

Legolad, Elven Falconer - 1hp, 10AC, str8(-1) agl9(0) sta15(+1) per7(-1) int13(+1) luc14(+1); init: 0; ref(0), fort(1), wil(1); Lucky Sign: Survived the plague (Magical healing) (1)
Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: -

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Here goes: Player roll=7
Vashni: nat 20!, 12
Dirty Joe: nat 1, 7
Malthus: 2, 13

...fingers crossed... :mrgreen:

Black Kylessa (c) LV 2 Wizard (orphan)
Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

:twisted: :lol: :twisted:

Player roll: 5

Yadin's two rolls: 12 and 8

Yan's two rolls: 17 and 7

*bites finger nails until seeing results*
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

quozl
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by quozl »

Chuck: 2, 16, 18
Chuck Korsin: Woodcutter. Str 14 (+1), Agi 10 (0), Sta 17 (+2), Per 15 (+1), Int 9 (0), Luc 9 (0), AC: 10; HP: 3; Weapon: Handaxe +1 (1d6+1), Speed: 30; Init: 0; Ref: 0; Fort: 2; Will: 1, Holy water (1 vial) (25 gp), Bundle of wood, 37 cp, Crowbar, Sack (large)

Barnum Bailey: Animal trainer. RIP Weapon: Club (1d4), Waterskin (5 sp), 30 cp
Gene Yusmore: Cooper. RIP Torch (1 cp), Barrel, 33 cp
Tellessa Storie: Elven barrister. RIP Weapon: Quill (as dart) (1d4), Book, 33 cp
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Rick, you're killing me here. :shock:

Literally. :mrgreen:

StarShifter
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Madness Games & Comics

Post by StarShifter »

he'd quite deliberately and pointedly say, "So, you're splitting. The. Party?"
Haha! Okay, I get you. Yeah, my guys split.
The Bad News
The trident is fully electrified and it does not miss the water. It releases a excessively lethal (9d6) surge of killing electricity upon doing so.

Within the fountain: Telessa dies. Algaroth dies.

(Just) Outside the fountain: Barnum dies. Bailey (sniff) dies. Skaath dies. Freebo dies. Shaun dies (I feel baa-ad about that, too).

Gromluck (outside the chamber) Chance, & Vijo (the water hasn't reached the entrance yet) are fine. I guess sometimes splitting from the party works out okay ;-)
Holy crap! That happened fast. I logged in this morning thinking, "I couldn't have missed much yesterday..."

Chance flees after Gromluck, and Vijo waits at the edge of the room/hall, ready to rescue Kylie--if she touches down--and aid his elven brethren without dying himself.
Mike: “Okay. And there’s nothing in between. It’s either grain alcohol in back alleys, or a happy world of rodents in feetie pajamas?”

Servo: “Yes.”
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Rick »

ProdigalWilliam wrote:Player roll: 3.

Down the line as in my sig for each character:

Also, the falcon flew up into the air as soon as it noticed the statue moving. Reflex roll: 15.
"Elrod"and "Legolad" leap to the wall, maintain their balance, and avoid death for the time being.

"Celebron" and "the Halfling" are not so Lucky. Would you like to spend 6-8 moments (each) thinking about what to do next?
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Rick »

Fenris Ulfhamr wrote:Here goes: Player roll=7
Vashni: nat 20!, 12
Dirty Joe: nat 1, 7
Malthus: 2, 13

...fingers crossed... :mrgreen:
Vashni taps into the (super)hero within and wills him(?)self up and over the crackling death below, landing in a 3 point stance safely outside the water's reach.

Dirty Joe and Malthus... I'm afraid they don t fare as well. Even luck can only do so much.

Last edited by Rick on Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Rick »

GnomeBoy wrote::twisted: :lol: :twisted:

Player roll: 5

Yadin's two rolls: 12 and 8

Yan's two rolls: 17 and 7

*bites finger nails until seeing results*
The two race for their lives, leaping as one and landing hard on the stone floor just inside the entrance, scuffed and shaken up but alive.
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Rick »

quozl wrote:Chuck: 2, 16, 18
Chuck lives! He follows the nearby elves and leaps to the fountain wall.
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Rick »

StarShifter wrote:
Chance flees after Gromluck, and Vijo waits at the edge of the room/hall, ready to rescue Kylie--if she touches down--and aid his elven brethren without dying himself.
Gromluck and Chance hear the elevator "bing bong!" as it arrives bearing a new group of treasure-seekers.

Note - this will be a pool of replacement zeroes for anyone wishing to replenish their ranks. Check w/ me as to how that will work.

Vijo observes a few survivors land at his feet escaping death. The goose flaps over and joins them.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Rick wrote:Note - this will be a pool of replacement zeroes for anyone wishing to replenish their ranks.
Is there zero chance of hitting Level 1 during the course of the adventure?

If there's a chance of leveling, I think I'd go that route (fewer, sturdier characters). Otherwise, new recruits would be most welcome.

Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Rick »

GnomeBoy wrote:
Rick wrote:Note - this will be a pool of replacement zeroes for anyone wishing to replenish their ranks.

If there's a chance of leveling, I think I'd go that route (fewer, sturdier characters). Otherwise, new recruits would be most welcome.
Honestly, I hadn't really considered it. I'm not opposed to it (leveling), if that's what you guys want to do.
ProdigalWilliam
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Elrod and Legolad are looking for anything that might be secure enough to lasso to help them swing across the floor and back to the entrance (using the falcon again to assist with the rope trick).
MoD Demi-humans

Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Is the floor still electrified? Did the trident reset to its original position at least?

Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Rick »

ProdigalWilliam wrote:Elrod and Legolad are looking for anything that might be secure enough to lasso to help them swing across the floor and back to the entrance (using the falcon again to assist with the rope trick).
I guess I was too subtle... Celebron and The Halfling failed (badly) but each have enough Luck to make up for it. Do you want to spend the points to save them?
StarShifter
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Madness Games & Comics

Post by StarShifter »

Rick wrote:
Note - this will be a pool of replacement zeroes for anyone wishing to replenish their ranks.

I tend to agree with GnomeBoy. I'd rather level than replace--though a rotating door of poor 0-level shmucks could be fun.
Mike: “Okay. And there’s nothing in between. It’s either grain alcohol in back alleys, or a happy world of rodents in feetie pajamas?”

Servo: “Yes.”
ProdigalWilliam
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Rick wrote:
ProdigalWilliam wrote:Elrod and Legolad are looking for anything that might be secure enough to lasso to help them swing across the floor and back to the entrance (using the falcon again to assist with the rope trick).
I guess I was too subtle... Celebron and The Halfling failed (badly) but each have enough Luck to make up for it. Do you want to spend the points to save them?
[Ah! Yes, let's burn that luck to the ground! I read the exact opposite - that I had one chance to save my two remaining characters.]

Celebron stumbles while making her way up the wall. Luckily, her hand catches Elrod's outstretched hand. In a low voice, she swears in Elven, something about misspent charity. The Halfling is one stride behind her elven companions. She leaps and clutches the wall, her grip is starting to loosen as the statue starts to lurch toward the water, but Legolad lifts her up to momentary safety on the wall.
MoD Demi-humans

Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Rick »

StarShifter wrote:I tend to agree with GnomeBoy. I'd rather level than replace--though a rotating door of poor 0-level shmucks could be fun.
Okay, we'll go w/ best of both worlds. Leveling up will be possible (once you get to 10xp w/ a survivor) and anyone who wants a replacement zero or two can ask for 'em.

Re: replacements - don't roll them up yourself, I'll randomly provide one or more upon request, which you can name and personalize. You can request up to three if you're completely wiped out, two if you've one left, one if you've two left. Next time you ask it's two if you're out, one if you've two left, etc.

Replacements will not always be immediately available, depending on where you are in the GMoD. They are right now (the elevator), but other than a vague assurance that there will be other opportunities to repopulate your herd, I can't say where or when that'll happen. Cool?
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Rick »

ProdigalWilliam wrote:
Rick wrote:
[Ah! Yes, let's burn that luck to the ground! I read the exact opposite - that I had one chance to save my two remaining characters.]

Celebron stumbles while making her way up the wall. Luckily, her hand catches Elrod's outstretched hand. In a low voice, she swears in Elven, something about misspent charity. The Halfling is one stride behind her elven companions. She leaps and clutches the wall, her grip is starting to loosen as the statue starts to lurch toward the water, but Legolad lifts her up to momentary safety on the wall.
Got it. Celebron's new Luck is 5 (-2) and the Halfling's is 10 (0).

Note that had the Halfling been 1st level or higher she(?) could've effectively gotten the benefit of 2 Luck points for every 1 spent, and been able to regenerate it after a rest, but those perks are not yet available to zero levels of her race.

With that, the statue's arm cranks back up to it's original position and the danger of electrocution seems to be temporarily over.
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Rick »

Fenris Ulfhamr wrote:Is the floor still electrified? Did the trident reset to its original position at least?
No, you don't think so, and yes :)
Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Vashni quickly grabs some of the more useful items from his fallen "comrades" and puts distance between himself and that damnable fountain!

I'd like two more zeroes please! Who new the death toll would be high in a museum of death?

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”