Big Trouble In Little Punjar — (RAPID URBAN FUNNEL PbP)

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: -

Re: Big Trouble In Little Punjar — (RAPID URBAN FUNNEL PbP)

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Init(+2)=18
Kylessa: Magic missile spellcheck(]NAT 20!+2+another 10spellburn)=30 all at Zen (feelm free to roll my damage, I'm at work!)

Brun: att=1, fumble=1 if any attack Kylessa. He tries to pull her to safety

Black Kylessa (c) LV 2 Wizard (orphan)
Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
ProdigalWilliam
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Everybody Reads

Post by ProdigalWilliam »

Can magic missile target unseen enemies? (Looks like yes, at the result you got, but you'd have to spend a turn doing it) Or maybe GnomeBoy will be charitable with the whole all actors go in quick enough succession so that she still has line of sight? Also, I think you double your caster level for the bonus added on natural 20's, making your result 33? Let's start doling out those 3d4+2, d10+1 missiles.
MoD Demi-humans
Elrod, Elven Sage - 2hp, 11AC, HP: 2, str16(+2) agl13(+1) sta8(-1) per15(+1) int10(0) luc10(0); init: 1; ref(1), fort(-1), wil(1)
Pitchfork +2 (1d8+2); Chest: (rope (50'), Parchment, quill pen, 15 cp)

Celebron, Elven Barrister - 2hp, 10AC, str11(0) agl9(0) sta11(0) per12(0) int15(+1) luc5(-2); init: 0; ref(0), fort(0), wil(0); Lucky Sign: Hawkeye (Missile fire damage rolls) (1)
Dagger (1d4), Quill (1d4+1); Lg Sack: (Book, Candle, Torches (3), 20 cp)

Halfling, Halfling Vagrant - 4hp, 10AC, str11(0) agl9(0) sta12(0) per9(0) int14(+1) luc10(0); init: 0; ref(0), fort(2), wil(0); Lucky Sign: Lived through famine (Fortitude saving throws) (+2)
Club (1d4); Lg Sack: (Begging Bowl, Oil Flask, Flint+Steel, Iron Spikes 3)

Legolad, Elven Falconer - 1hp, 10AC, str8(-1) agl9(0) sta15(+1) per7(-1) int13(+1) luc14(+1); init: 0; ref(0), fort(1), wil(1); Lucky Sign: Survived the plague (Magical healing) (1)
Dagger -1 (1d4-1); Lg Sack: (Torches 2, Chalk 2); Falcon, Aerandir
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

YE GODS!

Tommy gets behind the dragon and finds a spartan, rough-carved hallway down which the foul Wizard is fleeing. "I still have time to find my eternal life, now that the curse is lifted! Jajhahahahahhajjaja!!"

Tommy hurls the javelin, and it sticks firmly in the mad sorcerer's back. His face shoots upward as his body arches, the flames in his eye sockets flaring, then sput- sput- sputtering and going out entirely. Wisps of smoke rise from them, as his body slumps lifelessly to the ground, his foul schemes forever halted.

Meanwhile, Kylessa fuels the ultimate Missile spell, creating 9 missiles of eldritch destruction, sending them out in all directions.

-- The bodyguard threatening Sanitor goes down like a brick.

-- The man with the bloated head is punctured multiple times and his head goes flat like an empty sack, beer spritzing everywhere around him.

-- Five of the pursuing cultists are dispatched. The remainder of the crowd rises in a panic over the next several seconds and flees back out the way you came... As they go, you can hear them, in unison, shrieking and wailing in horror as they find the remains of each guard above in turn...

...Congratulations! FOUR OF YOU HAVE SURVIVED THE THREAT OF BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE PUNJAR!

And you have new lives, lives you would never have expected to lead ahead of you! Death may be around the next corner, but you are prepared now to stare it in the face and at least make it think twice before taking you in it's arms!
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

And I'd like to thank you profusely for playing. I can't imagine getting a better crowd for this game!

I'm interested in running some more PbP, hopefully starting next month. I'd be happy to see you in that, if it works out for you.

If you have any comments about this adventure, I'd love to hear them. The draft of this thing has been submitted for the Gong Farmers Almanac 2016, but there's still time for editing. I'll also take suggestions for names for the five 'special' guards...

• Iron-necked dude
• Stretched legs
• Drown-proof
• Fire-proof
and
• Beer spitter

-- and by any chance, does anyone recognize where these guys are sourced from...? 8)

I'll be catching up on this thread when I'm back (and probably caught up on other stuff, too), so don't take my silence over the next several days as disinterest!

Thanks, again! :mrgreen:
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

jeff c
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: N/A

Post by jeff c »

Wow... just... WOW! An explosive ending to be sure!

Sanitor gives everyone an Iron Boot high ten, before beginning the grim work of looting the bodies.

Great adventure, GB! It was a lot of fun and I loved how in over our heads it felt. Thanks for the hard work of running.
-- and by any chance, does anyone recognize where these guys are sourced from...? 8)
Oh, I just realized it the story of the 5 brothers right? I love that story.

I think I'll be in for some more PbP but ping me in a month when you're ready to start.
Iron Freebooters:
Zeppo Daggerstain, pickpocket, 1 Thief (N) - 4 hp, 11 AC, str10 agi9 sta12 per9 int7 luc12; 10xp
filleting knife (d6), blowgun & darts, 2 shuriken (1d4), dagger, grappling hook, rope 50', jade pieces, 25 cp

Sanitor, diabolist, 1 Cleric of the Infernal Vision (C) - 9 hp, 13 AC, str15, agi15, sta8 per14 int9 luc14 5xp
Battleaxe (1d10), Ceremonial knife (1d4), 2 shuriken (1d4), hide armor 2 AC, grimoire, jade pieces, 37 cp

RIP - Meato Daggerstain, Ivan Grapeworth, Flea
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

jeff c wrote:Oh, I just realized it the story of the 5 brothers right? I love that story.
ding ding ding! That's it. :wink:
I figured that's the right vintage to pull from for some strangely-powered henchmen of a wacky, camp wizard. Similar to what's in BTiLC, but not the same.

ProdigalWilliam
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Thomas approaches his fallen nemesis as the sounds of panic flow into the rough-hewn tunnel from the main room. He'll have to hurry back to see if everyone is OK; but first, he must be sure this is the last of the crazed sorcerer. He grabs ahold of the javelin and pushes it further into the wound, then withdraws it, "You should have ended me in the streets when you had the chance!" When there is no response from the corpse, he searches for anything of value on the body. "You owe my friends a great deal."

He then quickly turns back to enter the main room to find the results of the chaos.

(RIP, Zeppo.

It was a pleasure running through this with the two of you. You both added excellent character and back story moments throughout. GnomeBoy, thanks for putting this together and GMing, I had a blast. I'll be ready for more PbP when you get it going again. Send me a message to +Jack Langdon on G+ so I'll be sure to see it when it's back on. I'll read back through and see if I can add any more notes besides the ones I inserted along the way.)
MoD Demi-humans
Elrod, Elven Sage - 2hp, 11AC, HP: 2, str16(+2) agl13(+1) sta8(-1) per15(+1) int10(0) luc10(0); init: 1; ref(1), fort(-1), wil(1)

Celebron, Elven Barrister - 2hp, 10AC, str11(0) agl9(0) sta11(0) per12(0) int15(+1) luc5(-2); init: 0; ref(0), fort(0), wil(0); Lucky Sign: Hawkeye (Missile fire damage rolls) (1)

Halfling, Halfling Vagrant - 4hp, 10AC, str11(0) agl9(0) sta12(0) per9(0) int14(+1) luc10(0); init: 0; ref(0), fort(2), wil(0); Lucky Sign: Lived through famine (Fortitude saving throws) (+2)

Legolad, Elven Falconer - 1hp, 10AC, str8(-1) agl9(0) sta15(+1) per7(-1) int13(+1) luc14(+1); init: 0; ref(0), fort(1), wil(1); Lucky Sign: Survived the plague (Magical healing) (1)
Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Kylessa collapses, nearly extinguished from the strain of casting. Brun catches her and lifts her into his arms.
Brun: "We've beaten him? Could it truly be? Is everyone alright? Thomas? Sanitor? Zep... We should take every scrap of jade, every coin, every thing not nailed down. Oll Zen owes this town a great debt, and we have come to collect! But first we should bury the dead..."

That was a really, really fun adventure! Thanks so much for letting me test run this module! I felt like I was in an anime or something when we fought the five (is that the source?), and I really loved the character interactions that my fellow players brought to the table- hopefully the Iron Freebooters can reunite for further adventures!

My apologies for my sporadic posts and missed details... I was on a two-week vacation for some of this and have a Chaos-aligned 2-year-old as well, haha. Also, I'm thinking of selling my dice and using that D&D dice roller exclusively- it gave me 5 natural 20s and a crit 19 throughout this mod, lol.

Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Almost forgot (mind already into the middle of next week):

3 XP for everybody (bringing Sanitor into legimate 1st Level status, yay).

And 2 Luck for everybody.

Thanks again, guys! It was a pleasure running it for you. :mrgreen:

ProdigalWilliam
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

With your permission GnomeBoy, I'd love to GM this adventure at my FLGS in early April. I'd send you notes and feedback post session.
MoD Demi-humans

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

ProdigalWilliam wrote:With your permission GnomeBoy, I'd love to GM this adventure at my FLGS in early April. I'd send you notes and feedback post session.
PM Sent.

stripes
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by stripes »

GnomeBoy, did this adventure get published, or do we still have that to look forward to?

(it looks like a great funnel: everyone clearly had a blast and some people lived!)
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

This adventure is in the Gong Farmers Almanac 2016.

Not sure which volume it's in, since I haven't seen the files yet, but I think I recall there was to be an "Adventures" volume.

I'm also planning on knocking together a "flyer" using the art from the GFA, so someone wanting to run the thing in a public place can promote it.

Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

This was such a weird, fun thing! I'd love to run this mod for my crews. Any word on a follow-up level one thing? PbP or otherwise?

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Now that school has started up again, my mind has been turning to the idea of another PbP... But

We've got a short bit of travel in September to do — so after that I'll post something about it.

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”