Nebin Pendlebrook's Perilous Pantry - 0-level funnel!

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Scottius
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Tabletop

Re: Nebin Pendlebrook's Perilous Pantry - 0-level funnel!

Post by Scottius »

Sticking close together Kleaver & Hugh continue to lead the expedition into this underground chamber. They tread cautiously, watching for potential danger from any angle as best they can as they follow the path of the tracks that presumably belong to the missing Nebin & the constable.
michaelsandar
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: the Griffon

Post by michaelsandar »

Percival will stay towards the front, and cautiously prod at nearby stalactites and stalagmites with his staff.
PERCIVAL, N, Halfling dyer, S12, A10, S9, P13, I6, L11 (previously 12), AC10, HP2, Staff +0 1d4, hand axe, Init 0, R0, F0, W+1, Small sack, 3 yards fabric, 10' chain, torch, Righteous heart (Turn unholy checks), Com

EIBUR, C, Potato Farmer, deceased
SILAS, L, Ostler, deceased
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver
FLGS: The Compleat Strategist

Post by Judge Perky »

As you proceed among the stalags to the middle of the cavern, one set of footprints continues onward while the other simply stops...

The disturbed dust hints at some sort of scuffle. A small, shiny object glints in the dirt nearby.
*Jonathan*

“You should laugh every moment you live, for you'll find it decidedly difficult afterwards.” ― Joe Abercrombie, Best Served Cold
Scottius
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Scottius »

Hugh takes a moment to look at the two different sets of tracks. He's trying to determine if he can tell which ones belonged to Nebin and which to the constable.

While the caravan guard is investigating which set of tracks is which little Kleaver catches sight of the glint of metal. Crouching down to get a better look he'll try and brush away some of the dirt to get a better look at whatever it is.
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

Scottius wrote:Hugh takes a moment to look at the two different sets of tracks. He's trying to determine if he can tell which ones belonged to Nebin and which to the constable.

While the caravan guard is investigating which set of tracks is which little Kleaver catches sight of the glint of metal. Crouching down to get a better look he'll try and brush away some of the dirt to get a better look at whatever it is.
Give me an INT check for Hugh.

Kleaver crouches down...

And then with no warning, two large, rubbery-skinned creatures drop silently from the ceiling upon Silas and Eibur (sorry, michael, those two happen to have the lowest Luck scores!). As the rest of you turn with a start, you see your compadres struggling as these gangly, eight-legged creatures with the head of a toad and sickly green, festering skin try to envelop them in gooey strands of web!

Silas and Eibur, each of you must make a Reflex save to try to avoid being overwhelmed by this surprise attack! For this, roll a d20 and add or subtract your Reflex save modifier.

Remember, you can always burn luck to increase any roll that you make in DCC RPG... but unless you are a Halfling or Thief (lvl 1 or more), it doesn't regenerate. And as this episode illustrates, bad things start to happen to those whose Luck score gets low!
*Jonathan*

“You should laugh every moment you live, for you'll find it decidedly difficult afterwards.” ― Joe Abercrombie, Best Served Cold
Scottius
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Scottius »

OOC: When you say intelligence check do you mean a roll under Int on a d20 or roll a d20 and add Hugh's intelligence modifier? Either way the d20 came out a 16 and Hugh has a +0 Int modifier.

Grismelda and Dhourdhem turn to see the ferocious looking beasts suddenly lunging at the back rank of the part. Grismelda lets out a shrieking scream as she sees the horrid beasts. Weapons are readied all around at the earliest opportunity.
michaelsandar
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by michaelsandar »

Silas gets a 4 on his reflex save, Eiber a 12.

Both let out shrieks as the creatures drop on them.
PERCIVAL, N, Halfling dyer, S12, A10, S9, P13, I6, L11 (previously 12), AC10, HP2, Staff +0 1d4, hand axe, Init 0, R0, F0, W+1, Small sack, 3 yards fabric, 10' chain, torch, Righteous heart (Turn unholy checks), Com

dimonic
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Burdin's Comics

Post by dimonic »

Judge Perky wrote:
Scottius wrote: And then with no warning, two large, rubbery-skinned creatures drop silently from the ceiling upon Silas and Eibur (sorry, michael, those two happen to have the lowest Luck scores!). As the rest of you turn with a start, you see your compadres struggling as these gangly, eight-legged creatures with the head of a toad and sickly green, festering skin try to envelop them in gooey strands of web![/i]
Dropping her notebook, Shanaserial draws back her shortbow and utters an Elven blessing, releases an arrow at the one of the tentacular creatures grappling Silas. Slobo hefts one of his cobble stones and hurls it, with a vile curse in common. If he finds himself close enough, Jim will step up and swings his shortsword at the same creature. Again if Alloysius finds himself close enough, he too will wail away with his club beside Jim.

Sanaserial (shortbow): d20 => 16, d6 => 4
Slobo (stone): d20+2 => 10, d3 => 2
Jim (shortsword): d20 => 18, d6 => 1
Aloysius (club): d20+1 => 20, d6+1 => 2

(BTW - I am using <http://www.roll-dice-online.com/>. I was using another service which could paste a verified result but I forget where it was).
Aloysius Penderghast, L, Herbalist, S15, A9, Sm9, P14, I15, L9, AC10, HP4, Club +1 1d4+1, Init 0, R 0, F 0, W 1, 1d Rations, Herbs, flint & steel, 10 ft pole, 2 torches, large sack, Com +1

"Slim Jim" Finlayson, N, Outlaw, S10, A16, Sm11, P10, I8, L11, AC 14, HP 4, Short sword +0 1d6, Init 2, R 2, F 0, W, 0, Iron spike, Leather armor, torch, small sack, 1d rations, Resisted temptation (Willpower saving throws), Com

Shanaseriel Tremientalo, C, Elven navigator, S5, A10, Sm15, P14, I10, L9, AC 10, HP 5, Shortbow +0 (1d6), Init 0, R 0, F 1, W 1, Flask, Spyglass, 1d rations, Charmed house (Armor Class), Com Elven, Heightened senses, iron vulnerability, Infravision

Slobo Underhill, N, Halfling vagrant, S11, A17, Sm13, P16, I11, L14, AC 12, HP 4, Club +0 (1d4), Init 2, R 3, F 1, W 2, Chain 10', Begging bowl, Struck by lightning (Reflex saving throws) (+1), Com Halfling, Infravision
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

dimonic wrote:(BTW - I am using <http://www.roll-dice-online.com/>. I was using another service which could paste a verified result but I forget where it was).
Just use this. I trust you.

http://purplesorcerer.com/crawler/crawler.htm
*Jonathan*

dimonic
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by dimonic »

Got it, bookmarked it, thanks.
Aloysius Penderghast, L, Herbalist, S15, A9, Sm9, P14, I15, L9, AC10, HP4, Club +1 1d4+1, Init 0, R 0, F 0, W 1, 1d Rations, Herbs, flint & steel, 10 ft pole, 2 torches, large sack, Com +1

"Slim Jim" Finlayson, N, Outlaw, S10, A16, Sm11, P10, I8, L11, AC 14, HP 4, Short sword +0 1d6, Init 2, R 2, F 0, W, 0, Iron spike, Leather armor, torch, small sack, 1d rations, Resisted temptation (Willpower saving throws), Com

Shanaseriel Tremientalo, C, Elven navigator, S5, A10, Sm15, P14, I10, L9, AC 10, HP 5, Shortbow +0 (1d6), Init 0, R 0, F 1, W 1, Flask, Spyglass, 1d rations, Charmed house (Armor Class), Com Elven, Heightened senses, iron vulnerability, Infravision

Slobo Underhill, N, Halfling vagrant, S11, A17, Sm13, P16, I11, L14, AC 12, HP 4, Club +0 (1d4), Init 2, R 3, F 1, W 2, Chain 10', Begging bowl, Struck by lightning (Reflex saving throws) (+1), Com Halfling, Infravision
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

Scottius wrote:OOC: When you say intelligence check do you mean a roll under Int on a d20 or roll a d20 and add Hugh's intelligence modifier?
The DCC way (unless you're told otherwise) is always a roll vs. a DC (or AC). So the latter example is right.
michaelsandar wrote:Silas gets a 4 on his reflex save, Eiber a 12.

Both let out shrieks as the creatures drop on them.
Unable to avoid being quickly webbed, the characters can only shriek as the creatures ascend quickly back toward the ceiling with them bound in their clutches.

OOC: Given that this was a surprise round, none of the other characters heroic acts have yet taken affect.

However, at the start of this next round, the characters act first, so the two missile weapon attacks can be launched

Sanaserial (shortbow): d20 => 16, d6 => 4
Slobo (stone): d20+2 => 10, d3 => 2

And both miss. Since these missile attacks missed, dimonic, you need to do the following for each miss:
  • Roll randomly to see which of the two allies is in danger of friendly fire.

Then, roll % dice. If you roll 50% or lower, then you need to make another attack roll against that ally's AC to see if your errant shot hit them instead.

If it did, you need to roll for damage.
[FYI, the ranged attacks in to melee rules are on page 96 of the DCC RPG rulebook if you are interested]

Anybody else able to make a ranged attack against the toad-like spider creatures that just grabbed your comrades this round?
*Jonathan*

dimonic
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by dimonic »

Since it was my intention to focus on the one lifting Silas,

Shanaseriel: d100 => 41, d20 => 10
Slobo: d100 => 92

Hope that meets the requirement.

Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

It does.

Slobo's stone flies wide, and Shanaseriel's arrow caroms harmlessly off of the webbing covering Silas' tunic.
*Jonathan*

michaelsandar
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by michaelsandar »

Silas lets out a scream and a loud, "woah!" as the arrow caroms off of the webbing. Lacking any blades, he attempts to use his strength to burst the bonds.

Silas, strength check: 17+1 = 18

Eibur struggles fiercely, lacking the strength of Silas, but attempts the same thing.

Eibur, strength check: 10 - 1 = 9

Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

Ok, we need to know what Scottius' and Chucks' characters are doing this round.

Note: For those without ranged weapons, there are ample angular rocks to throw at the spider-creatures (Agility mod as attack bonus; 1d4 damage).
*Jonathan*

Scottius
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Scottius »

Recovering from her initial shock at seeing the creatures, Grismelda quickly begins to spin her sling about over her head after dropping a stone into it. She let's fly at one of the beasts!

Roll: d20=10 + 0 (dex modifier) = 10, Damage: d4=3

Hugh, Kleaver, & Dhourdhem are without ranged weapons but seeing the party members in danger of being carried off to their doom they scramble for sharp rocks to fling at the inhuman foes.

Kleaver: d20=13 + 0 (dex modifier) = 13, Damage: d4=4
Hugh: d20=1 (natural 1! Fumble?) + 1 (dex modifier) = 2, Damage: d4=1
Dhourdhem: d20=8 + 1(dex modifier) = 9, Damage: d4=3
michaelsandar
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by michaelsandar »

OOC: forgot Percival!

He will grab a rock, but will hold it, watching and listening in the dark for more of the horrors, ready to call out a warning.

Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

Ok, so here's how it goes...

Silas, in a burst of strength, breaks free of his bonds. Unfortunately, he is on the ceiling. If he can roll a d20 at or under his luck (5), he should roll 1d3 for damage from his fall to the cave floor. If he can't make his Luck check, it's 1d6.

Kleaver's sling stone hits home! Which of the two toad-spiders did you aim at?

Grismelda, Hugh and Dhourdem miss and must:

Roll randomly to see which of the two allies is in danger of friendly fire.

Then, roll % dice. If you roll 50% or lower, then you need to make another attack roll against that ally's AC to see if your errant shot hit them instead.

If it did, you need to roll for damage.

In addition, Hugh did Fumble, and needs to roll 1d4 on the Fumble table to see what else happens!

Chuck's characters miss their turn this round due to inactivity...

Eibur squirms, jerks and wriggles, but he fails to break free from his bonds like his friend Silas was able to do. Unfortunately, this renders him unable to stop the toad spider holding him from sinking its dagger-like fangs, dripping with poison, into his neck, killing him (3 hp damage).

ROUND

Each PLAYER, roll for initiative.
*Jonathan*

dimonic
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by dimonic »

Judge Perky wrote:Ok, so here's how it goes...

ROUND

Each PLAYER, roll for initiative.
Shanaseriel: d20 => 19
Slobo: d20 => 18 + 2 = 20
Jim: d20 => 5 + 2 => 7
Aloysius: d20 => 20

I like this purple sorcerer app. Of course, I will now most likely miss everything.

Scottius
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Scottius »

Let's say Kleaver aimed for whichever creature was on the right.

Hugh d100 = 54
Grismelda d100 = 16, Attack Roll d20 = 20 (natural), Damage d4 = 1, Critical Roll = 3 (Stunning crack to forehead. Inflicts +1d3 damage with this strike, and the foe falls to the bottom of the initiative count next round) d3 = 2 Total Damage = 3
Dhourdhem d100= 13, Attack Roll d20 = 6 +1 = 7

Hugh's Fumble d4 = 3 (Weapon comes loose in your hand. You quickly grab it, but your grip is disrupted. You take -2 penalty to your next attack roll).

Initiative d20 = 7

OOC: Hope I did all that right. Let me know if there's anything else I need to add/roll.
michaelsandar
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by michaelsandar »

Silas - Luck check, rolls a 7. Falling damage 1d6 - rolls a 3!

Unfortunately, I think that means Percival will be the only survivor for now...

Initiative 19 + 0 agility mod, = 19

Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

Where are you, Chuck?!? I'm going to send you a PM.
*Jonathan*

Chuck7497
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Past present future comics, and Excelsior comics.

Post by Chuck7497 »

Init= 14
JIC d20= 6
JIC d100= 73

All 4 characters are stunned by the nearly silent assault and look on in horror as two of thier companions are lifted up into the air to the ceiling. Standing mouths agape they watch Silas break free from a monster.

Grom shakes his head and grabs Mavory. "C'mon Help me." Grom takes the 50' of rope and ties it securely around his waist and body. then gives the free end to Mavory. "If I get pulled up use this to yank me and it back down."

Grom moves near the one that lost silas and begins making noise by yelling and by banging his axe on a chunk of wood and throwing the wood up at the creature.
Mavory waves for krieger to come over and lend a hand. Krieger grabs a length of rope and gets ready.

Smokey once broken from the trance looks around sees the situation is quite in hand with these fellows and looks around when he spies something shiny on the ground and goes over to investigate the small shiny object.
GROM, L, Woodcutter, S6, A10, Sm10, P12, I13, L15, AC 10, HP 2, Hand axe -1 1d6-1, Init 0; R 0, F 0, W 0, Bundle of wood, 50’ rope, Candle, Survived the Plague (magical healing) +1, Common elvish

KREIGER, N, Urchin, S11, A10, Sm10, P7, I12, L13, AC 10, HP 2, Shovel 1d4 Stick +0 1d4, Init 0, R 0, F0, W 0, Crowbar, begging bowl Four leaf clover (find secret door) +1 Com

MAVORY, N, Ditch Digger, S9, A14, Sm7, P10, I9, L11, AC 11, HP 1, Shovel 1d4, Init 1, R 1, F -1, W 0, Empty chest, Fine dirt 1lb, Seventh son (spell checks) Com

SMOKEY, C, Cutpurse, S12, A7, Sm17, P14, I13, L11, AC 9, HP 6, Pitchfork (as spear) +1 (1d8+2) : Dagger +0 1d4, Init -1, R -1, F 2, W 1, Iron Spike (1sp), small chest, Pack hunter (attack/damage rolls for 0-level weapon) Com, Giant
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

Ok.

Silas drops to the cave floor, and lies still. Eibur's cries of alarm suddenly cease, even before Grismeldas errant stone hits his lifeless body.

Kleaver, however has hit one of the spiders, which is taken aback but seemingly not badly hurt.

The shiny object on the floor is retrieved, and you recognize it with horror as Nebin Pendlebrook's eye-glasses! The words of September Gruth, the tavern owner's daughter, ring in your heads: "The poor little fellow can hardly see without his glasses..."

What now?

Initiative order:

dimonic (remember, at 0-level, it's roll INIT once for the party, so I took your first one)
michael
chuck
spiders
scottius

On your turn, let me know what you are doing, and if it involves combat, roll to hit and damage.
*Jonathan*

Scottius
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Scottius »

Here are my actions for when my turn ends up coming around. Unless the situation changes seeing as I'm going after the monsters.

Kleaver does a little fist in the air action when he sees his stone strike home. As he goes to snatch up another rock to follow up with he sees the cast off spectacles. Horror dawns on him at the realization that these creatures may have already drug off neighbor Nebin and made a meal of him. Kleaver, Hugh, Dhourdhem, & Grismelda proceed to pelt the beasts with another flurry of stones.

Kleaver: d20 = 8 + 0 (dex modifier) = 8, Damage d4 = 3
Hugh: d20 = 19 +1 (dex modifier) = 20, Damage d4 = 2
Grismelda: d20= 2 + 0 (dex modifier) = 2, Damage d4 = 3
Dhourdhem: d20= 14 + 1 (dex modifier) = 15, Damage d4 = 3

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”