Nebin Pendlebrook's Perilous Pantry - 0-level funnel!

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver
FLGS: The Compleat Strategist

Re: Nebin Pendlebrook's Perilous Pantry - 0-level funnel!

Post by Judge Perky »

My apologies on the long pause. A rough few weeks at work, followed last week by a long overdue week's vacation.

I'll get back to business (and by that I mean fun) starting tomorrow...!
*Jonathan*

“You should laugh every moment you live, for you'll find it decidedly difficult afterwards.” ― Joe Abercrombie, Best Served Cold
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

OK... here we go!

Percival cuts open the baddies with the hand axe... give me a Luck check (roll a d20 at or under your Luck score).

Hugh pulls down the last cocoon. In it, he finds to his horror the decaying, half-eaten corpse of Kelvran the constable. He is still wearing his (now somewhat bloodstained) padded armor and has a pouch tied to his belt that contains 14 cp.

There are no further cocoons visible now, and you think you hear a distant clicking sound that may indicate additional bad guys are on their way.

Do you follow the remaining footsteps to the other side of the chamber? Or something else?
*Jonathan*

“You should laugh every moment you live, for you'll find it decidedly difficult afterwards.” ― Joe Abercrombie, Best Served Cold
michaelsandar
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: the Griffon

Post by michaelsandar »

Percival's luck roll:

D20 = 12 (tied luck score)
PERCIVAL, N, Halfling dyer, S12, A10, S9, P13, I6, L11 (previously 12), AC10, HP2, Staff +0 1d4, hand axe, Init 0, R0, F0, W+1, Small sack, 3 yards fabric, 10' chain, torch, Righteous heart (Turn unholy checks), Com

EIBUR, C, Potato Farmer, deceased
SILAS, L, Ostler, deceased
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

michaelsandar wrote:Percival's luck roll:

D20 = 12 (tied luck score)
A glint catches his eye, and in one of the stomachs, Percival finds something hard... as he wipes it off, he sees that it is a small green gemstone.
*Jonathan*

dimonic
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Burdin's Comics

Post by dimonic »

Judge Perky wrote: There are no further cocoons visible now, and you think you hear a distant clicking sound that may indicate additional bad guys are on their way.

Do you follow the remaining footsteps to the other side of the chamber? Or something else?[/i]
Jim, Aloysius, Shanaseriel and Slobo move forwards, more wary than before.
Aloysius Penderghast, L, Herbalist, S15, A9, Sm9, P14, I15, L9, AC10, HP4, Club +1 1d4+1, Init 0, R 0, F 0, W 1, 1d Rations, Herbs, flint & steel, 10 ft pole, 2 torches, large sack, Com +1

"Slim Jim" Finlayson, N, Outlaw, S10, A16, Sm11, P10, I8, L11, AC 14, HP 4, Short sword +0 1d6, Init 2, R 2, F 0, W, 0, Iron spike, Leather armor, torch, small sack, 1d rations, Resisted temptation (Willpower saving throws), Com

Shanaseriel Tremientalo, C, Elven navigator, S5, A10, Sm15, P14, I10, L9, AC 10, HP 5, Shortbow +0 (1d6), Init 0, R 0, F 1, W 1, Flask, Spyglass, 1d rations, Charmed house (Armor Class), Com Elven, Heightened senses, iron vulnerability, Infravision

Slobo Underhill, N, Halfling vagrant, S11, A17, Sm13, P16, I11, L14, AC 12, HP 4, Club +0 (1d4), Init 2, R 3, F 1, W 2, Chain 10', Begging bowl, Struck by lightning (Reflex saving throws) (+1), Com Halfling, Infravision
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

The group walks to the other end of the chamber without further incident.

The remaining set of footprints ends at the wall of the chamber, in an area where the wall seems to be covered with thick webs.
*Jonathan*

dimonic
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by dimonic »

Judge Perky wrote:The group walks to the other end of the chamber without further incident.

The remaining set of footprints ends at the wall of the chamber, in an area where the wall seems to be covered with thick webs.
Jim will hold his torch close to the bottom of the webs, hoping to ignite them and clear them away.
Aloysius Penderghast, L, Herbalist, S15, A9, Sm9, P14, I15, L9, AC10, HP4, Club +1 1d4+1, Init 0, R 0, F 0, W 1, 1d Rations, Herbs, flint & steel, 10 ft pole, 2 torches, large sack, Com +1

"Slim Jim" Finlayson, N, Outlaw, S10, A16, Sm11, P10, I8, L11, AC 14, HP 4, Short sword +0 1d6, Init 2, R 2, F 0, W, 0, Iron spike, Leather armor, torch, small sack, 1d rations, Resisted temptation (Willpower saving throws), Com

Shanaseriel Tremientalo, C, Elven navigator, S5, A10, Sm15, P14, I10, L9, AC 10, HP 5, Shortbow +0 (1d6), Init 0, R 0, F 1, W 1, Flask, Spyglass, 1d rations, Charmed house (Armor Class), Com Elven, Heightened senses, iron vulnerability, Infravision

Slobo Underhill, N, Halfling vagrant, S11, A17, Sm13, P16, I11, L14, AC 12, HP 4, Club +0 (1d4), Init 2, R 3, F 1, W 2, Chain 10', Begging bowl, Struck by lightning (Reflex saving throws) (+1), Com Halfling, Infravision
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

As he does, he notices that they are subtly "breathing"... as the flames peel them away from the wall, it becomes clear why: They were covering another tunnel that continues on into the dark, its floor covered in more dusty footprints.
*Jonathan*

Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

And so...?
*Jonathan*

dimonic
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by dimonic »

Judge Perky wrote:And so...?
Hitching up his britches, Jim strides into the tunnel, followed by Aloysius, Slobo and Shanaseriel - afraid, yet curious.

Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

Again the tunnel winds downward, growing narrower as it descends. The walls and pathway are cold and damp, turning the dust to slime. From ahead you hear the flutter of a thousand wings. Suddenly, you are engulfed in a cloud of screeching, fluttering bats! As you attempt to fight off the bats, you find yourselves slipping forward on the path’s steep slick surface of mud and loose gravel!

This steep footpath ends at a gaping chasm. All must succeed on a DC 6 Reflex save or tumble and slide into the chasm!
*Jonathan*

michaelsandar
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by michaelsandar »

Percival throws himself back and away from the bats and chasm, desperately groping for any purchase.

Reflex save 5, but will burn a point of Luck (if allowed) to get the 6 needed!
PERCIVAL, N, Halfling dyer, S12, A10, S9, P13, I6, L11 (previously 12), AC10, HP2, Staff +0 1d4, hand axe, Init 0, R0, F0, W+1, Small sack, 3 yards fabric, 10' chain, torch, Righteous heart (Turn unholy checks), Com

dimonic
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by dimonic »

Judge Perky wrote: This steep footpath ends at a gaping chasm. All must succeed on a DC 6 Reflex save or tumble and slide into the chasm!
Aloysius: 6 - he stumbles and barely catches himself, heart racing at the lip of the inky blackness.
Jim: 14+2 - he pulls up short, and extends his hands to try to help other come to a stop.
Slobo: 18+3, easily avoids blundering into the whole
Shanaseriel: 14, she shudders as she eyes the chasm warily.

Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

michaelsandar wrote:Percival throws himself back and away from the bats and chasm, desperately groping for any purchase.

Reflex save 5, but will burn a point of Luck (if allowed) to get the 6 needed!
It's allowed, but before you burn Luck you (and anyone else who fails the Reflex save) can attempt a final DC 10 Luck check to grab the edge of the crevice, a ledge or a root...

OOC: I just PMd Chuck, hopefully he can rejoin us.
*Jonathan*

michaelsandar
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by michaelsandar »

The dice are not going my way - rolled an 8 for luck check, so will burn 1 point.

Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

Ok, that's a 10 for the halfling...

As he slides over the lip of the chasm, Percival spies a root protruding from the face of the stone and is just able to grasp it as he goes over the edge! He pulls himself back up and lies on his back, panting at the cavern ceiling.
*Jonathan*

Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

Grom, Krieger, Mavory and Smokey, overcome by the encounter with the goat-spiders, retreat back up the tunnel toward Nebin's house.

OOC: Do you guys want to split up Scotius' characters for now and roll their saves?
*Jonathan*

Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

*Jonathan*

Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

Judge Perky wrote:OOC: Do you guys want to split up Scotius' characters for now and roll their saves?
*Jonathan*

dimonic
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by dimonic »

Judge Perky wrote:* * *
Is there anybody out there? Does anyone want one of my characters? They seem ridiculously resilient.

michaelsandar
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by michaelsandar »

I'll roll for Kleaver and Grismelda...

Kleaver gets a 17 - managing to hold on, and Grismelda rolled a natural 20!

Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

OOC: Is that everyone?

As the bats flitter off into the recesses of the cave, you find yourselves standing in slimy mud right at the edge of the gaping chasm.

The footsteps here, where you haven't wiped them away in your fall, lead to a mossy, rotten tree that crosses the 20' gap to the other side. The tree was obviously placed here as a rough bridge, as the gulf seems too wide to jump, but that was clearly long ago.

Outcroppings of rocks just out from the far side, and beyond that you can barely discern -- a door? -- set into the far wall.
*Jonathan*

dimonic
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by dimonic »

Judge Perky wrote:OOC: Is that everyone?

As the bats flitter off into the recesses of the cave, you find yourselves standing in slimy mud right at the edge of the gaping chasm.

The footsteps here, where you haven't wiped them away in your fall, lead to a mossy, rotten tree that crosses the 20' gap to the other side. The tree was obviously placed here as a rough bridge, as the gulf seems too wide to jump, but that was clearly long ago.

Outcroppings of rocks just out from the far side, and beyond that you can barely discern -- a door? -- set into the far wall.
Time to rope up Slobo. He ties an end of the rope around his waste, and ventures out onto the log with Jim and Aloysius braced and paying out the other end.

Agility: d20 = 14 + 3 = 17.

michaelsandar
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by michaelsandar »

Percival stands near the edge, ready to help with the rope if necessary. He tries to peer into the darkness to make out what's on the other side.

Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

Slobo makes it to the other side, carefully but easily.

When he does, he notices footprints in the muck heading to the left and the door that you all spied from the other side.

At the same time, he, and the rest of you hear a faint whisper -- "Help me.." -- that rises from the dark depths of the canyon below you.
*Jonathan*

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”