Frozen in Time - As a 0-level funnel

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver
FLGS: The Compleat Strategist

Re: Frozen in Time - As a 0-level funnel

Post by Judge Perky »

Krex and Bitterbrew stare at Dibbon's glowing right hand, uncertain what to do next.

Willoughby snatches up the sharp stone tip of his spear which snapped off as he clumsily caught his spear in a crack on the floor, wondering what to do next.

The orb again spins and zips at Bjorn, who this time stands still as the needle pumps a blue serum into her flesh. As the needle withdraws, Bjorn steps back, feeling lightheaded for a moment. Then, a tremendous warmth fills her veins, and the wound that she suffered from the heat worms upon first entering the glacier tunnels disappears like it was never there (back to full HP)!
*Jonathan*

“You should laugh every moment you live, for you'll find it decidedly difficult afterwards.” ― Joe Abercrombie, Best Served Cold
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Telva approaches Bjorn and examines where the demon orb touched her, trying to determine it's secrets. "Your wound! It just... just disappeared!"

Voorak keeps his eye on the orb, as it moves back.

Tarr stands ready with his pelt, unsure what to do...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: -

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Bjorn: "I have endured the sting of bees greater than this collecting honey for the mead-halls. Surely the Great Bear is stronger than the ice-demon!"
If the orb doesn't approach anyone else, we search the room

Black Kylessa (c) LV 2 Wizard (orphan)
Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

The orb scans the rest of the inhabitants of the room with its blue light.

Since it finds no one else injured, diseased or debilitated (am I right?), it hovers motionless at the side of the room.

Searching the room, you see once again that the walls are decorated with large black rectangles and the floor is covered by plush carpeting. A handful of comfortable furnishings occupy the area just beyond the door, forming a cozy sitting area.

On the elevated space at the far end of the room is the large bed. On the bed, once again, is the mummified remains of a 7" tall humanoid, withered by age and disease; his face locked in a painful rictus of death. Dibbon now holds the gold palm-disc that the body once held in its hand.

Beside the bed are several odd metal devices with glass windows and colored lights / buttons. These do not seem to be operating.
*Jonathan*

“You should laugh every moment you live, for you'll find it decidedly difficult afterwards.” ― Joe Abercrombie, Best Served Cold
Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Blackfeet climbs upon the bed and carefully searches the corpse for more trinkets. Once no one is looking, Myrna idly plays with the colored buttons on the odd devices...

Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

Fenris Ulfhamr wrote:Blackfeet climbs upon the bed and carefully searches the corpse for more trinkets. Once no one is looking, Myrna idly plays with the colored buttons on the odd devices...
Other than the palm-disc, the corpse had no other trinkets.

Pressing the buttons seems to have no effect.

Since it has been so long, I'll repeat some descriptions of the area nearby.
Judge Perky wrote:The door to the tube opens to reveal a corridor running east-west. A door stands at each end of the hallway. Other than a long-dead potted plant across from the tube's exit, the corridor is empty.
Judge Perky wrote:
Fenris wrote:Kurr: "We're not going any further without Tarr and his mark...let's check the other side."

They check the eastern corridor, resolving to wait for Tarr if it is similarly locked
There is also a similar door 20' down the eastern corridor. This one has a gold shaded indentation.
Judge Perky wrote:The silver "palm-disc" held by Tarr seems to have no effect when used in the gold indentation. The door stays closed.

The group moves to the west, and Tarr successfully opens that door with a whoosh.
OOC: This is the room you are in now.
*Jonathan*

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

"Dibbon! Dibbon... The door to the east! You mark will open it...!"
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

FYI: I am going to be away from the internet most of the time for the next week, so proceed without me. If you need gear from my characters, it's there in my sig.

Judge, if you want to run my characters for any reason, use them it whatever way you need.

I'll be catching up once I'm back. :mrgreen:

Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

...so, waiting to see if Dibbon uses the gold palm disc on the door... are there any unexplored rooms/paths unchecked as of yet besides that one? (I've kind of lost my sense of the map I was creating in my head!)

Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

Fenris Ulfhamr wrote:...so, waiting to see if Dibbon uses the gold palm disc on the door... are there any unexplored rooms/paths unchecked as of yet besides that one? (I've kind of lost my sense of the map I was creating in my head!)
The only other door that you have not been able to access, as far as I recall, was the door to a lift-tube in the room below with the giant dinosaur.
*Jonathan*

Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Judge Perky wrote:... the door to a lift-tube in the room below with the giant dinosaur.
...also marked with a gold indentation. I guess we wait for Dibbon...

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

I am now back.

...The last post by Dr Meat was a month ago... Do we salvage the game by putting the "gold mark" on a random character of an active player and keep going?

Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

GnomeBoy wrote:I am now back.

...The last post by Dr Meat was a month ago... Do we salvage the game by putting the "gold mark" on a random character of an active player and keep going?
Fine with me. I sent him a PM on the 9th that he still hasn't viewed.

We'll just say that his characters refuse to leave the room and if he comes back, maybe they can catch up...?
*Jonathan*

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Fenris, would you like a gold mark, since I've already got a silver one...? :mrgreen:

Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Kurr is honored to take the gold demon-mark and invoke it's power on the door before him!

Also, welcome back, GB!

Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

Fenris Ulfhamr wrote:Kurr is honored to take the gold demon-mark and invoke it's power on the door before him!
The palm-disc wraps itself around Kurr's hand and begins to glow gold.

Kurr traverses the 30 or so feet down the corridor to the door opposite the bedchamber, places his disc-bound hand on the gold indentation thereupon.

The door hisses open. Beyond the sliding door is a gloomy chamber lit only by stuttering strobes of blue-gold light.

Spaced about the room are several metal plinths, many surrounded by translucent fields of azure light studded with golden sparks. A handful of these glowing curtains flicker on and off in no particular pattern, vanishing and reappearing before your eyes, allowing a better glimpse at the objects surrounded by the fields. Atop each low pedestal is a curious item: a strange sword, a large shield, and a bizarre statuette are easily identified. Other objects, both bizarre and mundane, occupy other platforms.

A peculiar suit of armor stands surrounded by the plinths. Larger than a man, the suit’s arms are spindly and end in claw-like gauntlets. A clear oval helmet tops the suit.
*Jonathan*

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Voorak stares wild-eyed at the shimmering fields of blue light. With caution and amazement he steps over, drawn to the sword in particular...

Which items have flickering curtains?

Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Kurr and his companions enter the room to get a closer look at the illuminated plinths and their contents, careful not to touch the demon-light. Bjorn is particularly intrigued by the armor...

Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

Looks like one group is going toward the sword, another the armor.

Please let me know who is with each group.
*Jonathan*

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Voorak alone is tempted in.

Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Bjorn heads towards the armor, Kurr the sword or shield (deferring to Voorak), Myrna to any shiny, pretty thing, and Blackfeet stays at the doorway.

Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

As you enter the room and head toward the plinths, the strange suit of armor springs to life!

Lights flash in its clear oval helmet, and the metal suit advances on you, pincer-tipped tentacles flailing wildly, while gibberish peals from a trapezoidal-shaped box on its chest.

Each player, roll for initiative! And (since I've lost track) tell me the name of each character that is in or about the room.
*Jonathan*

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Voorak gets a 7 on Initiative.

My other three are outside the room at the moment (names in my sig).

If it's relevant and helpful, here's Voorak's initial attack: Spear 19! Damage 7!

For once he got good rolls! ...Which of course means something else is going to happen and make them irrelevant. :wink:

Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Init=(+1)=17
Kurr, Myrna, and Bjorn entered the room, with Bjorn examining the "armor".

They attack! Kurr: att=14, dmg=1 Bjorn: att(+1)=6, dmg(+1)=5, Myrna: att(-1)=9, dmg(-1)=1

Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

The creature, moving preternaturally fast, gets the jump on unlucky Kurr!

Rolling forward on its tread-like feet, it grabs Kurr in its pincers and lifts him in the air!

One of its pincers onto Kurr's throat (to hit 17) and squeezes it for 5 points of damage... With a metallic clipping sound, Kurr's head is separated from his body and dark blood spurts out of his neck as his body is tossed aside in a heap.

Shaken, most of the others in the room fail to hit the beast, but Voorak does connect. His spear isn't able to pierce the creatures armored hide, but it does leave a decent size dent.

ROUND
Attachments
79.jpg
79.jpg (81.75 KiB) Viewed 72079 times
*Jonathan*

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”