The Ruins of Ramat - 0-level funnel

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver
FLGS: The Compleat Strategist

Re: The Ruins of Ramat - 0-level funnel

Post by Judge Perky »

Chthonicthul wrote:OOC: Hello all, I am a friend of Dodd's, and Judge Perky has kindly allowed me to step in and handle fireinthedust's characters in his absence. I'll read back through al the posts to try to figure out how he was handling the various characterizations.. in the meantime, forgive me if the tone changes while I get the hang of it. Also, I've played a lot of RPGs and PbPs, but never done one for DCC (and I'm regrettably shaky on the ruleset). I may need a little guidance as we go...
OOC: Welcome, Chthonicthul! Yes, read up on where we are. Since you are new, why don't you take Xim and Marvin for starters, and the other guys will play 3 each.
*Jonathan*

“You should laugh every moment you live, for you'll find it decidedly difficult afterwards.” ― Joe Abercrombie, Best Served Cold
Chthonicthul
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Twenty Sided Store

Post by Chthonicthul »

OOC: Xim has infravision. Does he see heat signatures? Or is it just darkvision? I tried looking online, but I'm not clear on it.

And sure, Xim and Marvin sound great.
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

Infravision: Halflings dwell in pleasant homes
carved from the sod beneath hills. As such, halflings
can see in the dark up to 30’.
Unlike many other RPGs, DCC RPG doesn't try to 'explain' infravision. Just think of it as magic see-in-the-dark vision. However, since the other members of the party don't have infravision, there are torches lit at the moment so Xim isn't able to see any differently from anyone else.

Since this is a "0-level funnel," characters don't yet have their full abilities. Right now, you're still just average joes, trying against all odds to put an end to the threat to your village.
0 Level
Some role playing games codify “game balance” in an abundance of character options. The DCC RPG takes an anachronistic approach to this concept by pursuing an even playing field through randomization rather than complexity. The character creation steps that follow generate a play style unlike anything you have experienced in the last twenty-odd years –provided you follow the steps precisely. Omit any element, and you’ll find that the process does not work. Here is why.

DCC RPG generates characters using what the author refers to as a “funnel.” First, each player generates at least two, and possibly as many as four, 0-level characters. It is critical that the characters be generated using the process as described: completely random ability scores, random occupation, random Luck modifier, and random equipment. Each player ends up with an assortment of characters who could potentially serve as several different classes.

The “funnel” takes place in 0-level play. During the first 0-level game, it is expected each player will lose some or most of his characters. When mere peasants and yeomen explore deadly dungeons, a high mortality rate is a matter of course. By the end of the first game, the players will be left with a motley crew of survivors, and this group of heroic
adventurers becomes the 1st-level party. Using this method of highly random character results, high mortality rates, and player choices as to which of their randomly-generated characters takes risks and which stays safe, you, the judge, will find you have a party of randomly generated characters in which the players have agency. There are essentially no opportunities for min-max play, and yet players find themselves attached to their plucky little serfs who have done such amazing deeds at low levels.

Their 0-level exploits will define them forever with great deeds completed at great risk.

Demi-humans at level 0: Characters whose 0-level result includes a demi-human race must advance in class as that demi-human. For example, a dwarven miner levels up as a dwarf. 0-level demi-humans are able to utilize select racial traits as follows: dwarves have infravision and a base speed of 20’; elves are sensitive to iron and have heightened senses; and halflings have infravision and a base speed of 20’. Refer to the dwarf, elf, and halfling class descriptions for more information on these abilities. 0-level demi-humans speak Common plus their racial language, with additional languages gained as they level up. Just as all characters gain improved abilities and, sometimes, additional languages when they reach level 1, demi-human characters polish their natural talents through adventuring.
*Jonathan*

“You should laugh every moment you live, for you'll find it decidedly difficult afterwards.” ― Joe Abercrombie, Best Served Cold
Max_The_Judge
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Game Kastle

Post by Max_The_Judge »

OOC: Don't forget to update Xim's inventory to reflect that he is now carrying a short sword (1d6 damage) instead of a staff (1d4 damage). Also, welcome to the game!
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

Ok, so you leave the dust-filled room through the northern exit, and after about 40' you reach another room.

It looks to be about 20' deep and 30' wide, and you are entering from the southeast corner of the room. There is a hallway that exits west in the northwest corner.

This room may have been the quarters of an important person. Stone shelves in the western wall and a few decorative statues are all that remain. On the northern wall, there is a large, faded mural of three white-robed men standing around a golden spear, which is set in a pedestal. They are beset by a host of demons and undead. Beams of light radiate from the spear, appearing to strike and slay the demons and the undead.

The pedestal looks a great deal like the one in the room you were in yesterday (was it really only yesterday?); the defiled room in which you encountered the powerful amorphous evil black creature that killed Ken Katcherman and Lyanna.
*Jonathan*

Max_The_Judge
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Max_The_Judge »

OOC: Right, and that room had a pedestal with a hole in it. Was the hole spear shaft sized?
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

It could have been. You weren't able to get close enough to be sure.

P.S. The mural:
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (162.13 KiB) Viewed 22516 times
*Jonathan*

Max_The_Judge
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Max_The_Judge »

Red Robert: "Hmmm... I think this mural is suggesting that if we place that glowing spear into the hole in the room with the shadow monster then the beast will be banished. If only we had that spear!"
Max_The_Judge
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Max_The_Judge »

OOC: OK, maybe this mural is a clue suggesting we're getting close to the spear? If no one objects I say we press on in the same order we chose earlier. The three figures in the mural seem like they're not at all worried about the monsters around them. So in the very least finding the spear will allow us to search that room without getting murdered horribly by that monster. Also, Judge Perky, I'm really digging this funnel. Will we be able to play in future games you might want to run using any characters that happen to survive? That would be awesome! I'm mostly a Judge so I rarely get to play. I find that being able to play makes me a better Judge.
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

Max_The_Judge wrote:Will we be able to play in future games you might want to run using any characters that happen to survive?
Survive? BWHAHAHAHA! We shall see... we shall see... ;-)
*Jonathan*

doddwaco
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: The Game Den

Post by doddwaco »

Jenkins agrees Red Robert. "Yes, yes! The spear is the key. Let us find this mighty spear. Onward, dear companions!"
Ragged Rob grunts in what be acquiescence.
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

Ok, as I mentioned, there is a hallway that exits west in the northwest corner.

However, you discover that after 20', the hallway dead ends in a blank wall.
*Jonathan*

Max_The_Judge
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Max_The_Judge »

OOC: Search for secret doors?
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

Sure, tell me what your character does.
*Jonathan*

Max_The_Judge
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Max_The_Judge »

OOC: Let's feel the walls. Everything is stone in here. A false door would likely be made of a different material or have a seam running along the wall. Honest John will look for those signs and whack the walls with the staff he got from Xim. To check for reverberations that might indicate another passage or hollow.
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

Please give me an INT check.
*Jonathan*

Max_The_Judge
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Max_The_Judge »

OOC: Honest John rolls... 7
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

He doesn't find anything. Just a blank wall. Anybody else want to try?
*Jonathan*

Max_The_Judge
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Max_The_Judge »

Red Robert: "Move aside, kid! You've obviously never had to break out of a dungeon before."

OOC: Red Robert uses an arrow to probe for seams, irregularities, and loose stones. He rolls a 16.
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

Red Robert notices some scratches around the edges of the wall, floor and ceiling, like the wall has moved back and forth at some point.

He gives it a good push. STR check please.
*Jonathan*

Max_The_Judge
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Max_The_Judge »

OOC: Red Robert rolls a 14.
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

With a dull roar, the entire 10' x 10' section of wall recedes about 12", and then slides left into a deep groove on the side wall, revealing a corridor beyond.
*Jonathan*

Max_The_Judge
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Max_The_Judge »

OOC: Can we see anything beyond?
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

You see a simple 10' x 50' hallway that leads to a door in the west.
Last edited by Judge Perky on Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Jonathan*

Max_The_Judge
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Max_The_Judge »

OOC: Chthonicthul & doddwaco, shall we?

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”