Sour Spring Hollow

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Sour Spring Hollow

Post by fireinthedust »

Yeah. I'm truly not one to talk :p
Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

The doll's attack did hit, so Gran only has 2hp left.

Gran tries to grab the doll on her and bite its head off :twisted:
While continuing to run for the border of the cornfield of course.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Guang wrote:The doll's attack did hit, so Gran only has 2hp left.

Gran tries to grab the doll on her and bite its head off :twisted:
While continuing to run for the border of the cornfield of course.
Make an attack roll, then.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

OOC: unmodified, I assume? OK 1d20 bite attack: Natural 1. I think I hate the crawler app :(. What'd I do, bite off my own tongue?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Okay, then. A "4" on the fumble. I can't see Gran's teeth being damaged, so I will reduce that by 1 to a "3"; if she tries to bite again, she will take a -2 to the attack roll.

Meanwhile, cornhusk dolls of fallen friends appear all around the fleeing duo. Amalthia has thrown one off, and is only attacked by 2 this round. Gran is still attacked by 4.

Amalthia: 19, 12.

Gran: 9, 16, 20, 7.

Each successful hit does a single point of damage as they slash with their sharp, hard limbs. The critical hit is a stunning blow as the creature slashes at Gran's face. If she survives, she drops to the bottom of the initiative count.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Dark birds call from the forest....Kakaw! Ka! Ka! Kakaw!

Slowly the phantoms come from the deep woods, wispy forms that hunger for the lifeforce of the living. But there are none here any longer to sustain them, and they drift on unsated.

Back home, folks wonder what happened to some of the guests at the wedding. It seems as though the piney hills of the Shudder Mountains just swallowed them up. They make the sign of the Sovereign as a ward against evil when they think on it. But, slowly, their lives go on. The Shudfolk are nothing if not resilient.

In Sour Spring Hollow, a dead cleric silently begs the Sovereign to forgive her arrogance in taking on the witch folk alone. But, once more, no help is forthcoming. The watery sun hangs still in the eternal yellow sky, and Sour Spring Hollow hangs on to its secrets.
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

ooc: sorry for the delay. I'm pretty sure Amalthia's dead with that last bout of damage, but I'll double check.

If we did die: Dang it! Also: I love that the sign of us all having died is being "RavenCrowking'd".

So... My question, then, is if you'll run this in RL or (realistically) if I can get this in paperback.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Amalthia yet lives! She's only been hit twice for a total of 2 damage from the cornhusk dolls, but has a whopping 4hp!

Amalthia will attack the deadliest cornhusk doll on her: 9+2=11.

If that doesn't do it, was Gran holding a torch as we fled? Any chance it touched some of the rows of dried corn and set them alight?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Well, then, should Amalthia survive, she can attempt to roll Gran over....

In any event, your attack hits.
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Well, then, should Amalthia survive, she can attempt to roll Gran over....

In any event, your attack hits.

Huzzah! Also: Awww. I can't give Guang a PC at this point, either. Though I suppose, if he's willing, I could give him the old woman 1st level wizard from our previous game, Arvandra. She's essentially the same as Gran, conceptually. She's not here, but it would be great to keep us going on another adventure.

1d4+1=5 damage!

Can I go ahead and roll for an attack on the second cornhusk doll?

(I expect it'll act first, but for posterity: 1d20+2=12)
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

If you can beat a "4" Initiative, you can go first.
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

7+1=8!

Woot! 1d4+1=2 damage!

Okay, so Amalthia's clear. What of the other dolls? Have they wandered off, or are they coming to get a face full of the blade of a she-elf?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

You don't see them. Just Gran lying half out of the withered cornfield.
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Did this happen before we reached the cornfield? Am I in the cornfield, or just about to reach it?

I ask as I'm debating whether or not to go over to her. I also take a moment to check the body for signs of change, such as becoming some kind of giant cornhusk doll thrall or scarecrow equivalent of a vampire spawn.

eep!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I kindly allowed you to run out of the cornfield. Gran is half in, half out, where she fell. You have 1 hour to roll the body over.
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Excellent.

Okay, keeping a cautious eye on the cornfield for the sudden attack of some cornhusk dolls, Amalthia will pull on the parts of Gran that are fully out of the field and drag her all the way out.

If that works, full checking for signs of life, and praying for some miracle to save this poor woman (and the elf as well, who isn't happy about being so alone). Then grabbing what equipment from the corpse she can find, including belt pouches or sacks to hold them, spare weapons, staff parts, tarot deck, etc.

Is anything in our equipment capable of making fire? And I guess no torch on Gran, huh?

Is there a way around the corn field?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Gran gets to make a Luck check (1d20 under current Luck) to be alive with 1 hp. Gran is at -1d to all actions (if alive) for the next hour, or until she receives magical healing. Guang will have to tell you what Gran has, if that check fails (or even if not).

Dark birds call from the forest....Kakaw! Ka! Ka! Kakaw!

Slowly the phantoms come from the deep woods, wispy forms that hunger for the lifeforce of the living. But there are none here any longer to sustain them, and they drift on unsated....oh, wait a minute........that's not true anymore, is it? You are there. They begin to drift towards you.

The only way around the cornfield is through the woods, if you wish to go to the west.
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

ooc: Hoping Guang checks in again. If not, I'll rummage through Gran's things and hope for some kind of torch or something to set the cornfield on fire as I go: fighting the corn dolls is important, and I should be through the corn field well before the fire gets out of control behind me.

Failing that: Maybe he listed everything previously?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

fireinthedust wrote:Failing that: Maybe he listed everything previously?
You can go through the thread as easily as I can.

:)
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Here's what I found:
Equipment: bridle, small hammer, knife +1 attack(1d4+1 dmg), charcoal, more torches, 50' rope, three flasks of oil,
a lantern, a small sack of salt, a frying pan.
Funds: 1sp 75cp

Special items we should still have: silver holy symbol (me); staff parts (me); tarot deck; diary (me). I believe that should include everything.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Three phantoms continue to drift towards you.
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Quickly grabbing Gran's lantern and pints of oil, and a torch and the rope, Amalthia bolts along the edge of the cornfield. She has no desire to enter the forest, and keeps an eye out for the vicious dolls. If forced into the woods, the elf will turn into the corn field instead, and just run, run, run! If she could but get to the top, she hopes, this nightmare could be over!

ooc: Hope I make it through. Yikes! :D
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The phantoms come ever closer as Amalthia quickly grabs gear from Gran.

Guang, if you're still reading, I am counting this as checking Gran's body...if you roll under your Luck on 1d20, Gran is still alive with a single hit point and a -1d to Actions for 1 hour. What happens next probably depends upon whether Gran is living of dead, so I will wait 24 hours before making a ruling one way or another.

At this moment, the phantoms are 30' away.
SoBH pbp:

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Very well, then. Rolz says Gran is not that lucky.

The phantoms are 30' away, coming from the north. Grabbing Gran's stuff, Amalthia runs away. She can probably pace the phantoms for a while, but the dead do not tire.

Ahead of her, and to her left, there is a cabin. The door hangs open. To the right, there is the corn field. Behind her, the phantoms. Farther to the left, ahead, the graveyard. And, of course, three other cabins and trees all around.
SoBH pbp:

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The phantoms are now 20' away.
SoBH pbp:

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”