Sour Spring Hollow

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Sour Spring Hollow

Post by Raven_Crowking »

fireinthedust wrote:OOC: can I burn luck to avoid being hit?
Nope. Only to affect your own rolls.
IC: Amalthia takes the lantern off her belt and launches it at the creature. (17!!!)
Cool! The lantern breaks, dousing the creature with flaming oil for 1d6 damage (rolz.org says....1...too bad...you can spend Luck to increase that, if you want.) The creature then gains a Ref save (DC 10) to avoid catching on fire. With its +4 bonus, rolz.org says....16. Again, unfortunate.

Anyone else this round........? Or shall the slaying begin......? :twisted:
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

fireinthedust wrote:Woo hoo! Okay, this means (thanks to Guang) I had a lantern!
And to think I was only thinking of making sure the area was lighted up. I was expecting half-flooded catacombs and caverns. But glad to be of service, even accidentally :)

Gran will shoot again, of course, unless she has a chance of hitting her 2 friends:
5+1+1
Probably doesn't hit, unless this counts as shooting fish in a barrel.

Nan holds her breath, ducks under water, and feels along the ground for the holy symbol (or whatever else might be down there)
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

There is debris under the water for sure - stones for the most part. Searching this place with the enormous manlike form coming after you might be difficult, though. It seems distracted for a moment by Nan's arrival, but it appears that her luck has truly run out.....it turns towards the splash, dragging its wooden frame towards her.

Actions and initiative for this round, please.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Initiative: 13+1=14

Amalthia, sensing that only heroic action can save her now, moves around behind the creature as it heads towards Nan. Hefting the broken staff, she attacks with as much power as she can: she knows her life is in peril, and this is the only way to save herself and her friends. Screaming an ancient elven battle cry, she lunges at the creature and begins pummeling it.

OOC: Rolled a 19!!!

Damage is 1d6 for the club? 4
Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

OOC: Sorry for taking so long. Would you believe the Halloween season is a busy time of year for me?
Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

Initiative 6.

If Nan has a chance to do anything before she dies, she has an 18 to attack, and hits the trashheap with her shovel for 2 dmg
Gran shoots again from topside, of course, 17+1+1=19! 2 dmg. "Die, murderous creature!"
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The creature made of wooden debris pauses then, seemingly stunned by the barrage of attacks. then it lashes out one stick hand at Nan.

Natural 20.

The creature's base attack does 1d6, and it does another 2d6 as its stick hand is lodged in Nan's chest. Feel free to roll the damage, if you wish. She takes another 1d6 next round automatically as the limb is withdrawn.
SoBH pbp:

Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

18 damage!
The pieces of Nan's body fly apart. Her blood sprays the walls of the well.
Gran throws up.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

OOC: Yeesh!

IC:

Amalthia wastes no time, but batters at the creature with all her might: it's make or break time!

Roll: 16! 1d6 damage: 4!
Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

Gran continues to shower arrows on the creature.
6+2=8 to hit
6 damage
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Shaking gobbets of Nan from its wooden "limbs", the thing turns creaking towards Amalthia. Whack! The shovel strikes true, and whatever occult force held the bits of bleached wood together fails. The thing falls, literally, to pieces.

All survivors: 4 XP. Level 'em if you got 'em.
SoBH pbp:

Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

OOC: Yay!
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

OOC: Yay!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Reaching level 1 is no certainty of survival, but not levelling and deciding what to do is certain death.
SoBH pbp:

Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

OOC: Sorry. I haven't been updating my character sheet very well, and now need to go back through the entire thread to count XP. Haven't had the chance to do that yet.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

By my count, you should be at 11.
SoBH pbp:

Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

Raven_Crowking wrote:By my count, you should be at 11.
OOC: wow, we actually made it to first level. That was quite a funnel.
Class choice is not random, I assume, so Gran will be a Wizard. Cultist Gran.
Should I roll for spells or does she just get the ones in the book?
HP+1d4=total 5HP, yay! No longer a one-hit-wonder.
Mercurial Magic=+1, when I roll for the spells.
Language=extra 2. She already knows Chaotic and Gnome in addition to Common, so rolling on appendix L got me an 85 and 100. Pixie and Undercommon.
Did I miss anything?

IC: "Hurry up and find that holy symbol so I can pull you up out of there!"
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

OOC: Woo hoo!

Okay, here's my level 1 Elf. She knows Patron Bond and Invoke Patron, as elves have been preparing for help from a patron for some time. That said, would her experience be enough to trigger/finalize this bond, as in her case (unlike Arvandra, but other PC) she'd presumably already done prep work? I'm thinking some patron complimentary to a bardic wanderer type.

Name: Amalthia
0-level Occupation: Elven musician
Elf 1 (Wanderer)

Strength: 13 (+1)
Agility: 15 (+1)
Stamina: 12 (0)
Personality: 11 (0)
Intelligence: 14 (+1)
Luck: 14 (+1)

AC: 11; HP: 4 (1+3); Weapon: Dagger +2 (1d4+1)
Speed: 30; Init: 2; Ref: +2; Fort: +1; Will: +1

Spells Known: Patron Bond, Invoke Patron,

Equipment: Eldritch Book, half cleric staff, tarot deck,
Trade good: Flute
Starting Funds:
Lucky sign: Speed of the cobra (Initiative)
Languages: Common, Elven, choose 1 more
Racial Traits: Elven traits: Heightened senses, iron vulnerability, Infravision
Elf 1: hp 1d6 (3hp this time); Attack +1, Crit: 1d6, Action d20; known spells: 3 + patron bond/invoke patron; max spell level 1; +1 r/f/w
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Amalthia sobs as she searches through the well for the holy symbol, and any other useful items she can find. Before she finishes, she will grab the remaining belongings from Nan, hoping they can get the fallen woman's last remaining relative to safety.

OOC: Should I roll luck? And if we have burned luck, do we replenish it when we regain a level?
Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

fireinthedust wrote: if we have burned luck, do we replenish it when we regain a level?
Ooo, good question. I always wondered that. Reminds me of the real life "I guess his luck just ran out"
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Okay, lots of stuff.

(1) Elves automatically know Patron Bond and Invoke Patron, but Patron Bond takes a week to cast. Amalthia will need to determine Mercurial effects for both of those spells.

(2) Otherwise, Wizard spells are random and must be learned. A 1st level spell takes 1 week of study, and requires a DC 11 Intelligence check to master. OTOH, after randomly determining spells, you can always attempt the Slippery Slope of Arcane Doom. http://ravencrowking.blogspot.ca/2012/0 ... ls-on.html

(3) Whatever is in the book is in addition to what you gain from your class.

(4) Thieves and halflings regenerate Luck. All others must wait for some supernatural benison. Your Luck can, literally, run out.

(5) The funnel isn't over yet. Survival has become more likely, but it is far from assured.

After about 15 minutes of fishing around in the waters at the base of the well, Amalthia finds a silver holy symbol of the Sovereign.
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

OOC: Hmmm... I wonder if that's the sort of thing a Patron would do?

IC: Amalthia calls out that she has the symbol, and grabs some of Nan's belongings (ax? flametongue? ring of three wishes?)
Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

OOC: Fire, I gotta do something like that for Gran. Gonna take some time though. Looks like I get 6 spells at 1st level because of high intelligence (16, +2), so gonna roll for those now. Slippery slope is interesting, but at least can choose one to start studying for a week. How much time has passed since we showed up in the Hollow, by the way? Did all of Gran's clan die in a single afternoon?

spells rolled (1d30 on core book 1st level spells, re-rolling 28-30)
1 (9) Ekim’s mystical mask -
2 (24) Spider climb -
3 (13) Flaming hands -
4 (9) Ekim’s mystical mask -
5 (1) Animal summoning -
6 (22) Runic alphabet, mortal -

OOC: Got a duplicate. DCC style, I think it stays, right? Current luck is 14-1=13. Going to go ahead and start learning Ekim's mystical mask while I still have a luck +10% bonus. Rolled for mercurial magic - and off the chart with a 96+10%=106. 00 says roll again twice 4d20+10% luck bonus. Scary, and don't think I like this. (9+5+7+12+10%)=43 and (11+3+2+8+10%)=34. Clap of thunder and flash of lightning reveals Gran's location, and no change. Too bad can't target someone with the lightning.

IC: Gran will help Amalthea up in the meantime.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

If we can get through this adventure, we'll need to hole up for a while. Maybe your clan's home would be a good starter base?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Guang wrote:OOC: Got a duplicate.
My new houserule is that you get to pick if you get a duplicate.

Trust me, though, you will not have a free week to study yet....as far as you can tell, the washed yellow sky is still the same as when you first appeared here, as though Sour Spring Hollow is stuck in an eternal NOW.
SoBH pbp:

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”