Sour Spring Hollow

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Sour Spring Hollow

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The phantoms are now 10' away.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Very well, then. Rolz says Gran is not that lucky.

The phantoms are 30' away, coming from the north. Grabbing Gran's stuff, Amalthia runs away. She can probably pace the phantoms for a while, but the dead do not tire.

Ahead of her, and to her left, there is a cabin. The door hangs open. To the right, there is the corn field. Behind her, the phantoms. Farther to the left, ahead, the graveyard. And, of course, three other cabins and trees all around.

ooc: drat!

Amalthia feels these cabins are the ones she just left behind.

I thought the cornfield was a new area leading somewhere. Did Amalthia go around the entire edge and not see something new, or does she feel something's wrong, that there should be something *other than* the cabins/graveyard?

ooc: ie: am I misunderstanding the general description, or am I right that this is some kind of loop? If so... this is a great reveal moment and I'm sure Rod Serling would be proud.

If that's the case, I'm running back to the graveyard with the devil's thorn, and keeping to where I can see the phantoms: if they cross into it, keep running from them.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

If you run around the clearing, you pass four cabins, a graveyard, and a well,

SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Raven_Crowking wrote:If you run around the clearing, you pass four cabins, a graveyard, and a well,

Okay, GAME CHANGER!!!

I had meant she was running out of the clearing along the edge of the cornfield. So between the trees and the cornfield, but directly away from the clearing. It's not just a line of corn, but a square field of corn (currently filled with all the cornhusk dolls we diligently collected and put in there to kill us. Ahem. Thanks, authors(!!!!@#$@#$%!!!!)).
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Well, the cornfield is not a line; it is a series of terraces, rising ever-higher up a gentle slope. But, otherwise, yes.
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Ooooookay. Hmm... So to get up the terraces I'll need to climb. That'll slow me down, meaning the phantoms could catch me. Plus the cornhusk dolls will attack.

In that case: I flee to the graveyard immediately. If the phantoms leave me alone after that, I'll see about resting. If not... we'll see.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Also: Do I see anything at the top of the levels of the cornfield? It's stairs going away from the clearing, right? So what can we see up at the top?

Also Also: I told my wife about this game. After a year of playing, it came up in conversation, and she wanted to know why I was giggling and geeking out. She thinks this is amazing.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

fireinthedust wrote:Also: Do I see anything at the top of the levels of the cornfield? It's stairs going away from the clearing, right? So what can we see up at the top?
Five terraces are carved into the steep hillside and reinforced with fallen logs against erosion. Like a ladder, these plots ascend some 30 feet up the embankment. each plot is filled with dense stands of tired-looking corn stalks, their ears shriveled and their husks like parchment from long drought. A ragged-looking scarecrow peers over the heads of the dried stalks at the uppermost tier, looking down on the farm like a forgotten god.

The phantoms are now 5' away.
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Phantoms: Are they *within* the bounds of the graveyard? If not, how can they be within 5'? And have they been keeping pace with me even while I've been running? Are they gaining on me?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The phantoms have no problem entering the graveyard.
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Okay, the instant they cross the threshold, bolt at top speed. Can I outrun them? Can I get a running jump to the first level of the cornfields?
Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

Hi guys.

Sorry I haven't been around. I guess I'm still not around. Falling behind in most things in my life atm, barely had time to breathe. Looks like Gran died? I'll have to read the back posts to find out what happened. Still interested in seeing how it all turns out, regardless.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Guang wrote:Hi guys.

Sorry I haven't been around. I guess I'm still not around. Falling behind in most things in my life atm, barely had time to breathe. Looks like Gran died? I'll have to read the back posts to find out what happened. Still interested in seeing how it all turns out, regardless.

Woo hoo! She may be, but I have a "Gran" character left from another game with Raven that I would happily pass on to you, spellbook and all, if Raven's okay with it and you'll keep playing. Already has a Patron worked out, too. We paused because we needed more players, so started this game... which I suppose didn't work lol.
Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

fireinthedust wrote:
Guang wrote:Hi guys.

Woo hoo! She may be, but I have a "Gran" character left from another game with Raven that I would happily pass on to you, spellbook and all, if Raven's okay with it and you'll keep playing. Already has a Patron worked out, too. We paused because we needed more players, so started this game... which I suppose didn't work lol.
Up to you, Raven?
What's really slowing me down is knowing I have to set aside time to look things up in the book. Time I don't have recently :(
In any case, thanks for the welcome :) I haven't enjoyed a game this much in years, and have been thinking about it often during my absence.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

fireinthedust wrote:Woo hoo! She may be, but I have a "Gran" character left from another game with Raven that I would happily pass on to you, spellbook and all, if Raven's okay with it and you'll keep playing. Already has a Patron worked out, too. We paused because we needed more players, so started this game... which I suppose didn't work lol.
That would be fine with me.
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

fireinthedust wrote:Okay, the instant they cross the threshold, bolt at top speed. Can I outrun them? Can I get a running jump to the first level of the cornfields?

Posting this to know if I can survive these phantoms by running into the cornfield. Seriously: full run away from these phantoms. Zero desire to die here.
Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

fireinthedust wrote:
fireinthedust wrote:Okay, the instant they cross the threshold, bolt at top speed. Can I outrun them? Can I get a running jump to the first level of the cornfields?

Posting this to know if I can survive these phantoms by running into the cornfield. Seriously: full run away from these phantoms. Zero desire to die here.
Whoever I am now is presumably running alongside Amalthea?

Thanks, Fire
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

I should mention Gran isn't here. She's with Bron, my warrior, studying the spellbook we got from the cannibal farmers a while back. Gran is likely well-dead, so Amalthia needs to figure her way out of this one.

Honestly I hope she does, as I like playing her quite a bit. I know it's a funnel and all, so I'm just hoping making a break for it saves her from being disintegrated. Pretty sure I only have one or two hp left (technically up from where I was before).
Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

fireinthedust wrote:I should mention Gran isn't here. She's with Bron, my warrior, studying the spellbook we got from the cannibal farmers a while back. Gran is likely well-dead, so Amalthia needs to figure her way out of this one.

Honestly I hope she does, as I like playing her quite a bit. I know it's a funnel and all, so I'm just hoping making a break for it saves her from being disintegrated. Pretty sure I only have one or two hp left (technically up from where I was before).
Got it.
This funnel has killed 11 already. Maybe we should have started with more victims :)
Very interested to see what happens if anyone does survive the funnel. But if it was designed to generate more PCs for the other game, not sure how that's going to work. Maybe some of my guys will be sent back from the Other Side?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Sorry; I will be back on this tomorrow. Writing assignments are overdue.
SoBH pbp:

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

OK. Out of the kindness of the black pit I call my heart, I will allow a DC 10 Reflex save to dodge the phantoms and head towards the cornfield. They seem to be enjoying your panic.

If you succeed, you are moving through the thick, dry stalks...which somewhat impedes your movement.
SoBH pbp:

Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

15! Whats-her-name scrambles for the cornfield.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

20! Amalthia feints then spins away from the phantoms, running around the other side and making a mad dash towards the cornfield.

And the crowd goes wild! We've never seen anything like this before and all our years of...

So... is Guang playing a now-revived Gran, who was seemingly ignored by the phantoms and cornhusk dolls and then, thankfully, helps Amalthia up the first tier into the field and away from the ghosts? Sort of the horror movie surprise ally survival before we reach the last act of the film?
Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

OOC: There was a song I used to listen to years ago that said that the average life expectancy of a lieutenant in the Vietnam war was 15 minutes. Feels kinda familiar in the Sour Spring >:)

OOC: Fire, seems to be a massive difference in our luck this game - you rightfully get excited at a nat 20. I, on the other hand, am already wildly excited by a nat 15 :D
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Fair enough! That said, I've been using Amalthia since that ONE ROUND my characters all died.

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”