Creeping Beauties of the Woods

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: Creeping Beauties of the Woods

Post by MrHemlocks »

Rafo standing alongside Radny with Tarpy and Balin following behind them, the group makes their way down the old path.

rolls:
Rafo...4
Balin...4
Tarpy...8
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

ooc: Xim.... 2
Elroth... 16!
Borok... 9
Graham... 6
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Still need a marching order!

But in any event, you press on into the forest. Without, the sun rises and the day grows brighter, until you can feel the heat pouring down through the trees overhead and are glad of the shade. Around noon, a vine drops from the canopy upon Xim, and attempts to wrap itself around his neck. 1d20+4 = 9, ignoring armour. If Xim has an Agility penalty, he is hoisted 8 feet into the air and takes 1d5 Stamina damage. Otherwise, the vine does him no harm, and you can continue. If Xim is unharmed, you may all have 1 XP for the potential peril.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Xim escapes the noose! He was once a very nimble fellow, and while the drink has taken its toll, he is now as nimble as a normal person would be... more than sufficient to survive this threat!

"Oy! This forest just tried to kill me! What... Borok, what are you trying to do to me?"

Borok grumbles, but his eyes are worried about this threat.

OOC: whew!

And my band is behind theirs, with Elroth and Graham ahead of Xim and Borok.

If the party scouts are up ahead, my guys will be just behind them, Elroth and Graham.

Xim and Borok will be at the back, with the other squishy types.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Tarpy, laughs at the sight. "That vine did not do what I thought it did?" "Yes it did," Rafo says as he pulls out his short sword glowing with unnatural light, gathered from the ruins, and hacks away at the vine dangling from the tree limbs above.

ooc... Rafo to hit... 17+1=18; Damage: 1d6+1= 3

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Okay; all characters gain 1 XP for their new knowledge of potential dangers in the forest.

The vine is easily chopped down once it has missed. It wriggles, like a snake, into the undergrowth.

Going north about an hour from where this occurred, assuming you continue, you come to a fork in the path, allowing you to either continue mostly northward, or to veer off towards the west. The few bricks you can see poking through the soil to the west are a different colour....a sort of dark red-brown.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Pointing northward, Balin waves the others onward. "I suggest following this road till it dies out than head back to this fork and go west."

Rafo, looks at the fork in the road and notices the color of the bricks. "Yes, let's head north for now for I feel these reddish bricks, that head west, will more than likely leads us back to Sefton Castle."

"And Sefton Castle," Tarpy pipes up, "is where we agreeded to explore last."
rhh
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rhh »

MrHemlocks wrote:Pointing northward, Balin waves the others onward. "I suggest following this road till it dies out than head back to this fork and go west."

Rafo, looks at the fork in the road and notices the color of the bricks. "Yes, let's head north for now for I feel these reddish bricks, that head west, will more than likely leads us back to Sefton Castle."

"And Sefton Castle," Tarpy pipes up, "is where we agreeded to explore last."
"Sounds good. I'd rather not sleep out of doors when there's monsters about," says Los, "No sense in inviting trouble."
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

The crew heads north along the road....
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

You travel another three hours along the path without incident save the calls of birds and the sight of small beasts. Then a burial mound rises to the west of the path, about twelve feet in diameter and six feet high, and surrounded by standing stones. Green turf grows atop the mound.

A path leads to an entrance facing eastward – a low stone opening barely three feet wide, that a man could negotiate only on his hands and knees. Several thorn trees grow in the area, their branches adorned by ribbons.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

With Tarpy on one side of Rafo and Balin on the other the three approach the burial tomb. Tarpy and Rafo are leary of these strange thorn bushes. For it is the first they seen of them while in the Grimmswood. Both are one high alert and ready to attack or defend should these bushes move toward the group.

"Now we lights up that dark place." Tossing a burning oil flask into the opening Balin waits to see what happens.

OOC... Toss burning oil flask roll: 1d20= 14; Balin figures if the fire does not clear out the entrance the smoke will.

rhh
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rhh »

Raven_Crowking wrote:You travel another three hours along the path without incident save the calls of birds and the sight of small beasts. Then a burial mound rises to the west of the path, about twelve feet in diameter and six feet high, and surrounded by standing stones. Green turf grows atop the mound.

A path leads to an entrance facing eastward – a low stone opening barely three feet wide, that a man could negotiate only on his hands and knees. Several thorn trees grow in the area, their branches adorned by ribbons.
Lyfina investigates the ribbons - she is interested to see if they were put there intentionally, or have been torn off of clothing. She is also interested in the material. Is it expensive? Wedding gown material, perhaps?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The ribbons are of various ages; some have been here for a century or more, and are faded and tattered almost to ruin.

Elves in the party recognize them as representing prayers and offerings to Cernharos, Faerie Smith of the King of Elfland. This mound, the Forest Anvil, allows an elf to, once in his lifetime, place a weapon and a suit of armor here. If left alone until morning, they will be exchanged by Cernharos with mithral equivalents.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Seeing the look on the parties only elf's face makes Balin wonder that maybe tossing the flaming oil, into the hole, was not the best of ideas.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

MrHemlocks wrote:Seeing the look on the parties only elf's face makes Balin wonder that maybe tossing the flaming oil, into the hole, was not the best of ideas.
Perhaps, perhaps not. In any event, nothing rushes out at you.
SoBH pbp:

rhh
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rhh »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Perhaps, perhaps not. In any event, nothing rushes out at you.
Once the fire dies down, Radny says, "Well, looks safe. Anyone got a torch?"

If someone provides a lit torch, Radny will lead the way.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

"Radny, you sure want to head in there?" Tarpy hands over a torch. "Let me tie a rope around your waist just in case you need pulled out quickly."

OOC...If Radny does not object a rope will be tied around his waist and it will be held by Rafo and Balin.
rhh
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rhh »

MrHemlocks wrote:"Radny, you sure want to head in there?" Tarpy hands over a torch. "Let me tie a rope around your waist just in case you need pulled out quickly."

OOC...If Radny does not object a rope will be tied around his waist and it will be held by Rafo and Balin.
"Sure, I'll just poke my head in. I'll only go down a few feet." Radny lifts his arms for the rope to be tied around his waist.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

After crawling seven feet, the mound opens up into a chamber seven feet across, which peaks at a height of three feet. The chamber is scattered with old human bones.
SoBH pbp:

rhh
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rhh »

Raven_Crowking wrote:After crawling seven feet, the mound opens up into a chamber seven feet across, which peaks at a height of three feet. The chamber is scattered with old human bones.
Radny calls up, "It looks safe down here. Just a bunch of old bones." Radny kicks the nearest bone, ready to flee if anything untoward happens.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Nothing does happen....the bones seem very, very old for the most part, and do not even all seem to belong to the same skeletons.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Maybe look for a hidden chamber or loot on the ground while your in there. Tarpy taps the ground, with his foot, and lets go of the rope. "Darn it! I am going in."

ooc...Tarpy heads in the vault. He will look for traps, hidden chambers and loot.

"We have an elf in the group do we not!" Balin yells out. "Place some armor or weapon within it and come back tomorrow. It suppose to change to mitheral...least that is what is told."
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Remember that the vault height peaks at 3 feet, and is only 7 feet in diameter, so there is not a lot of room down there.

Examining the chamber, it seems that there are only bones here. You do manage to find a few newer bones, though they do not appear to be part of any skeleton found herein.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

After looking around a few minutes Tarpy heads back out the vault. "Looks like not much in there worth interest... to me."

Rafo, pulls on the rope. "We best be moving. This road keeps going northward and the day is not getting any longer."
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

ooc: sorry, coming!

IC:

Xim is put on the ground by Borok when the dwarf takes a breather, but the halfling stumbles forward and walks into the entrance to the mound after the others have started to look.

Lad, what are ye doing? the dwarf cries after the vagabond, but he knows the mad look in the hobbit's eyes, the look of one tired of life. Borok peers into the dark after Xim, but fears to enter... just yet.

Elroth was distracted by mapping the road as they go along. The navigator uses fine lines expertly drawn to trace the path, and his excellent perceptions to judge distances. At the loud "bang" of the fire, he looks up and rushes along the path to the mound, putting his navigator tools away as he does so.

Good grief! this Mound is sacred to the followers of the King of Elfland! If it has been tainted by the evils that have cursed the Grimmswood... Let me at the mound, I'll take a look myself.

Elroth moves into the mound, crouching low with his weapon ready for any attack.

Graham the Huntsman stands near the entrance with his bow ready, watching the surrounding forest for any sign of attack.

OOC: Sigh, I just know something awful is going to happen to this poor elf. Maybe the mound is a giant mimic?

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”