Creeping Beauties of the Woods

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: Creeping Beauties of the Woods

Post by MrHemlocks »

ooc... The DM said it offers rewards to those elves placing a weapon or armor piece within it and reclaiming it after 24 hours. You might of missed that part)))
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Elroth looks around inside.

This place is sacred to the elves. If I had a blade to leave here, it would be transformed upon the morning by the servants of the Elfland King. I can only do this once in my lifetime, so I'd prefer a proper sword and suit of good armor. I have neither now, only my shortbow and good looks. Let's move on.

Elroth looks around the inside. If there isn't a weapon and armor set lying around, he'll leave, along with Xim. The newcomers are ready to move forward.

Och, lad, if we can get to a forge, I'll make ye a Mithril blade with my ingots here. Yer a good lad. Keep us alive, an you got it, unless you find something better!

ooc: good to go forward.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

ooc...Down the path the merry party travels.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

A pair of ravens begins to follow you along the trail as you move forward, giving the occasional ominous croak. The trail continues without apparent change until it begins to grow dark, and the ravens flap away to the northwest.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

"Well folks," Tarpy says as he watches the crows make flight, we best make camp for the evening. "My feet hurt and I could use some food."

Balin and Rafo agree with the little Halfling. Finding secured place, off the road a bit, they prepare for camp.

"Lads let me have your ropes. I have an idea." Balin gathers 90+ feet of rope and begins to encircle the camp site with it. Wrapping the rope around the various trees anchor points and tying the ends into a knot. "This rope encircles our camp site. If any creature tries to sneak toward us it will, hopefully, get caught up on the rope and trip...giving us a warning that we might of otherwise miss."

Tarpy looks at the other party members. "Might any of you help me gather wood and start a fire?"

Sitting down alongside an ancient oak tree, Rafo lights up a smoke.

rhh
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rhh »

Lyfina says, "Gathering firewood sounds like something we should do." Radny, Lyfina, and Enlo stand and gather firewood, never straying more than about 10 feet from each other. Los volunteers to make dinner, taking whatever provisions are available and begins the process of turning them into a meal.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Borok sets Xim down in the camp, then heads out with Elroth and Graham. The hunter and the elf look for firewood while the dwarf carries it for them. When they get back to the camp, the huntsman and the dwarven blacksmith assist in lighting the fire. A spot of bickering (dwarf insists he's right, huntsman tells him forest tinder isn't the same as lighting coals), they see if they can't get the wood burning properly.

ooc: Do you need me to roll? Would that be luck?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

No need to roll; you get a fire going without any difficulty. There is plenty of dry wood, and as the air grows chill the warmth of the fire is heartening. The roper around the campsite (Walking Dead?) is placed - there are plenty of trees to anchor it with! In fact, nothing occurs to excite or dismay you until the dark watches of the night, when a good sized owl lands upon a branch not far away.

"Toowit! Toowho!" the owl hoots. "Strangers in the benighted forest, greetings! Are you unaware of the danger you face here? Toowho! The dead walk these paths at night!"
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Tarpy is taken back by a talking owl! Kicking and shaking the others, to awaken them from sleep, he than speaks to the bird. "Greetings Mr. Owl, I am Tarpy and these", pointing around the campfire at the others, "are my friends. We are aware of the walking dead and some of the dangers awaiting us. But might you tell more Mr. owl?"

Tarpy reaches into his backpack and takes out some applewood smoked salmon. Offering to the owl he continues. "Just hoot are you and why are you here?"

Last edited by MrHemlocks on Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The owl blinks. "Twilleyes, you may call me." Fastidiously, he accepts the piece of smoked fish. "A moment, and I will return your gift!". The owl flies off, returning on silent wings several long minutes later. He drops a dead mouse at Tarpy's feet. "A gift for a gift, then. Eat this fat mouse, and then tell me: Whoooo are you? What do you do here, in this dangerous place? And what more do you wish me to tell you?"
SoBH pbp:

rhh
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rhh »

Raven_Crowking wrote:The owl blinks. "Twilleyes, you may call me." Fastidiously, he accepts the piece of smoked fish. "A moment, and I will return your gift!". The owl flies off, returning on silent wings several long minutes later. He drops a dead mouse at Tarpy's feet. "A gift for a gift, then. Eat this fat mouse, and then tell me: Whoooo are you? What do you do here, in this dangerous place? And what more do you wish me to tell you?"
While his companions gawp at the talking bird, Los ambulates over on his crutches and says, "If I may good bird, we people need to cook our food before we can eat it, as we don't have strong beaks as you. I'll cook this fine mouse so that master Tarpy might eat it."

Unless there's any objection, Los will surreptitiously gut and clean the mouse, then cook it in as appetizing a way as he can muster.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Nodding as if agreeing with Los, Tarpy swallows his pride. "Sure cook that up and I will gladly eat it! And Los since you are the cook, I insist you also have a share of the food. Share and share alike...as the owl does with us." :)

ooc... Tarpy tells of their mission, the three undead girls, Prince Charming, the old ruined castle and what all transpired up to this point in time. I really do not feel like typing all what happened over again)

Looking up at the owl Tarpy tells his tale. "Now that I told my story...let's hear yours and what you know about these undead or anything else that might help us clear these lands of the evils roaming them." Tarpy takes a deep breath, sits down with his back against the warming fire and waits for the birds response.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

"Too true, too true. Much evil is afoot within these woods, and you as unable to fly as chicks just hatched from the egg! But you are bigger folk than we owls, and mayhap you can do what we cannot. Twit! Twoo! Follow this path far enough, and you'll find one of them for sure. Another nests down the other path. The third hides I know not where. They do not come out at night, but send only their servants. I will consult the Parliament and see if the others know where she might be hidden! If you seek to undo what has been done, beware the ravens, for they are evil birds, and I fear they are spies of evil. Who! Who! I see that mouse is done. Good eating, friends! Shall I hunt more? It surpasses my skill to fill so many large bellies, but I can mayhap give you enough for all to taste."
SoBH pbp:

rhh
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rhh »

Raven_Crowking wrote:"Too true, too true. Much evil is afoot within these woods, and you as unable to fly as chicks just hatched from the egg! But you are bigger folk than we owls, and mayhap you can do what we cannot. Twit! Twoo! Follow this path far enough, and you'll find one of them for sure. Another nests down the other path. The third hides I know not where. They do not come out at night, but send only their servants. I will consult the Parliament and see if the others know where she might be hidden! If you seek to undo what has been done, beware the ravens, for they are evil birds, and I fear they are spies of evil. Who! Who! I see that mouse is done. Good eating, friends! Shall I hunt more? It surpasses my skill to fill so many large bellies, but I can mayhap give you enough for all to taste."
Los returns with the mouse, cooked to a char and piping hot from the fire. He has divided the mouse into two meager portions, and happily consumes his half. "Better than sewer rat." he says upon tasting it.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Tarpy takes the charred rat and eagerly devours it. "I know what you saying Los. I had may share of sewer rats not to many moons ago."

"I can speak for all of us when saying a big thank you for this food and for the warnings you have given us. I do hope we can meet again Mr. Owl. We will follow your advice and first thing tomorrow make hast toward the first location and hopefully spie on one of the dead princesses."

Balin and Rafo wave their goodbyes and wonder why this bird is so willing to help us?
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Elroth wakes from his trance as the others are speaking to the owl, and listens to the entire tale. When the owl offers to fetch him a mouse, he bows and shakes his head, graciously passing on the offer.

As the owl leaves he marks a note on his map where the campsite is.

Excellent work, and such respect for the forest's guardians. I am honoured to travel with you both, for I see that the Fates were kind to cross our paths. On that note, shall I mark on my map where the Owl said the Undead Princesses were resting? If they do not leave their resting places, that is good news. I worry that, if the Owl does not know where the third sleeps, she could be moving in the forest. So, we know that there is one princess along this path, and one along the other. That's a good portion of our scouting mission done. Should we wait for the owl to return with news from the Parliament, or keep scouting to find that third princess? I don't know the Baron as you might, but would he want us to take a look at the defences of each resting place, or learn which princess lies in wait in each spot?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Nothing more occurs that evening...or at least nothing more significant than a light drizzle about an hour before dawn, which quickly passes. In the morning, the world is damp and cool.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Warming up next to the fire Tarpy. Remembers what the owl told them. "We should head out to where the first princess is located. Scout it out and move to the second one."

Rafo, swallowing his sourdough bread and salted pork with a dash of mead stands up and looks at the cold and wet forest. "I do not want to fight these creatures but do believe we need to scout the princess' locations and report our findings. Maybe by the time we scout the two princess the owl might have information as to the whereabouts of the third undead lady."

"Good thing you wrote those locations, of the two princess' on the map Elroth. For I must of have some sort of brain fog...not remember where that owl mentioned they were located." Balin than takes another large drink from his wine skin.

"Than that setters it!" Tarpy stands up and starts moving about. "We move out when the rest of the party is ready." Gathering his items he, along with Balin and Rafo, prepare to head toward the first princess.

ooc...if no other actions than we move to the first princess.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

MrHemlocks wrote:ooc...if no other actions than we move to the first princess.
Cool. Just tell me in what direction you move.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Raven_Crowking wrote:
MrHemlocks wrote:ooc...if no other actions than we move to the first princess.
Cool. Just tell me in what direction you move.
ooc...According to the owl all we need to do is follow this path we are on now. It suppose to lead to one of the princesses. Off we go.... :wink:
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

You travel some four hours down the rutted path without incident. Then it leaves the forest to approach a river in a deep ravine. An ancient bridge of dirty yellow stones crosses the water here, and the trail enters into the forest about a quarter mile beyond on the far side.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Going over to the waters edge Balin and Pratel look around. Balin examines the bridge for stability while Pratel looks into the water for fish or other creatures.

ooc...Is the bridge suspended or are the stones built up from the river itself? Are there arches under the bridge...good place for a Troll to wait our crossing?
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Elroth shrugs. One "nests" down each path, and the third is unknown. You're correct, we need to scout out what the lairs look like. Any trouble, we flee.

Seeing the bridge in the river, Elroth and Graham ready their bows, Borok his hammer. They peer to either side of the bridge from where they are, hoping to see any threats hiding below.

ooc: Assuming it's just one troll...
rhh
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rhh »

fireinthedust wrote:Elroth shrugs. One "nests" down each path, and the third is unknown. You're correct, we need to scout out what the lairs look like. Any trouble, we flee.

Seeing the bridge in the river, Elroth and Graham ready their bows, Borok his hammer. They peer to either side of the bridge from where they are, hoping to see any threats hiding below.

ooc: Assuming it's just one troll...
Seeing the party draw their weapons, Radny says, "It's a bridge on a path. There's nothing going to jump out and attack us, unless it's those corpse brides we've heard about." He strides up and plants a foot on the bridge, "See, nothing to worry about."

Los and Lyfina exchange worried glances and also ready their weapons. Los nudges Enlo, who readies his as well.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Okay; nothing jumps out at you.
SoBH pbp:

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”