Prince Charming, Reanimator

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Prince Charming, Reanimator

Post by drpete »

"My final question, then... How will we recognize these tests?"
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Balin, Tarpy, Rafo are still waiting nervously on the steps while Foxfire speaks to the mirror. Finally Rafo speak up. "Ask that blasted thing how did all these people die and seemingly at the same time!!!" Blowing out hot air he continues, "and how can we avoid a similar fate?"

GreyWolfVT
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GreyWolfVT »

Throm "Smart lad Rafo, indeed how can we avoid ending up a charred pile of bones, and how did these folks end up that way. Foxfire ask the mirror that. I'd like to continue to live a bit longer me self ya know."

Horris and Bran just kind of stand around waiting shaking heads in agreement of the lets live longer than the bodies on the floor and outside of the palace.
drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

Foxfire looks up from the mirror, "These people were killed by the curse, I think, and have been dead for centuries... They don't seem to be our problem..."
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

"Ah, a third question. One more shall set me free! You will recognize these tests thusly: The dragon lies above, cloaked in an illusion of sweet-seeming, and the apparent bottomless pit will be easily seen by any who encounter it, for it lies in the open. Ask one more question that I may be free, and upon my honour, I shall answer you full and forthwith, and to your benefit." The face in the mirror pauses momentarily. "But it would be to your best benefit to promise my release after the sleeping Beauty is found, that you may use my reflective surface in your task. Should you make such a promise, and all agree to be bound by it, within the aura of the unsheathed Sword of Truth, I will tell you somewhat to your benefit without being asked."
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

Foxfire smiles into the mirror. "I'llget back to you... Thank you for your information".

To the others, she asks "Would you be bound by the oath to release it after our quest is done? You want to ask it how not to be killed? That's the final question you propose? We will lose our last question if we ask a bad one, and the use of the mirror if we ask, but do not swear..."
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

"Yes, Foxfire!" Rafo looks puzzled. "Ask that mirror how all these other people died seemingly at the same time and how we can avoid such a fate."
drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

Foxfire says "Rafo, I don't think we need to know that. These people were cursed generations of men past. I am less interested in history right now, and more interested in surviving our quest..."
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

"I know many things, and can tell you much you may wish to know. If you swear to release me, I shall do my best to give you both information and good advice."
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Rafo, looks at the mirror...."yes, we will release you! Now please tell us what we ask."
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

"It is your friend, here, who has asked three questions, and she must swear to ask the fourth before the bared blade of the Sword of Truth, and then I shall speak," the mirror replies. "Of course, I will also speak if you ask, but it would be a better service to you if you did not ask yet."
SoBH pbp:

GreyWolfVT
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GreyWolfVT »

Throm "C'mon on Foxy just swear to free him."

Bran "Yes lets promise to free him. Likely the curse will do that as it is according to the mage spirit we met earlier the curse will free a lot of souls on this cursed land."

Horris "I'm a little hesitant but yes we will free you."
drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

Foxfire swears "Should you guide us truly, I will free you when we complete our quest. Now my fourth question is: How can we overcome the obstacles we face safely?"
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

"Ah! A fourth question, and I am free!" the mirror-face says, happily. "The first test is a dragon; it lies above, appearing to the world like a pile of roses. It's breath causes sleep. The Shield of Truth protects against it, and the Sword of Truth may offer a strong offence, for it was created to defeat animated plants and can burst into flame at need. Beyond this room, to the right, you will find a spinning wheel that can transform straw into gold, but it is perilous to use, and I advise you to shun it, lest you sleep for ages. To the left, you will find an apparent bottomless pit, but you must gird your will and disbelieve the testimony of your eyes. Did you not ask that last question yet, as I advised, this mirror which is my prison could have shown you what was true. Beyond you will find the Beauty, and you may procure her without fear. Those hobyah creatures still swarm beneath and about the ruins, and so may cause you difficulty as you make your way out of the castle, but if you explore nothing else....forsaking some small gain....you will have little else to fear until you reach again the Prince and his men. Remember to use what you have found, and what you are given."

With those words, the Mirror of Truth shatters. Everyone gains 1 XP, and Foxfire gains 1 point of Luck.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Rafo and Pratel, after seeing the mirror shatter, stand up, ready their weapons and wait for Foxfire to lead the way. "Come on Fox," grumbles Rafo. "I did not hear everything that mirror spoke like you did. For it mentioned to you something about traps and other dangers that the party needs to be wary of."
drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

Foxfire nods "Alright, that didn't quite go as I expected... Mirror of truth my foot! Up above, there is a dragon, disguised as flowers... The sword will kill it, and the shield will protect against it..."

Cedric observes "I see the flowers up here. I have the sword, but no shield..."

Renlo observes "We need fire to fight a plant..."
GreyWolfVT
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GreyWolfVT »

Throm readies his new sword and says "We're with ya all the way guys. Lead on Fox. Hmm a shield did anyone find a shield?"

Horris & Bran get ready to follow Foxfire's group and they ready their weapons.
drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

Bryce smiles at Cedric, and gives him the shield of truth. "I think this will work better if you can defend yourself while fighting the dragon..."

Assuming that the shield can be given away, Cedric will lead the group into the room with the flowers, shield held high, ready for battle. Otherwise, Bryce will lead the way, giving cover to the others as they approach. Renlo and Foxfire follow into the room.
GreyWolfVT
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GreyWolfVT »

Throm, Horris & Bran will take up the rear so as not to get in the way of those holding the items to fight the dragon.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Balin, Tarpy, Rafo, will likewise take toward the rear of the party. Not having the tools to fight the 'dragon' makes them a little uncomfortable.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Up the stairs, then, where beyond the archway you can see a room 50 feet wide, extending to the west, and 40 feet deep. The room is lit by high and narrow arched windows in the far wall, showing the forest beyond. There is a door in the right wall, and an archway passing outward to the left. Beneath the windows is a mound of cut roses, red and white, mounded three feet high, which you now know (or believe you know) to be a disguised dragon. The scent from the roses is fresh and strong.
SoBH pbp:

GreyWolfVT
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GreyWolfVT »

Bran thinks for a moment then remembers he has a shield too. "Did the mirror say what shield was needed to defend against the dragon? I had forgotten the mage spirit thing gave me a shield as well." he says as he holds up the bronze buckler.

Horris looks at Bran "Ah yes indeed I forgot that as well. He gave me an orb but I don't think it is anything that can help here."

Throm chuckles "Ha yah fool Bran, we needed a sword and shield and ya forgot ya had one."
drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

Cedric will strap on the shield. "Bring out all the oil we've got. The mirror said it was vulnerable to fire. Let's burn us a rose bush, if nothing else."
GreyWolfVT
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GreyWolfVT »

Bran will also strap on his shield and try to figure out how to use it with a pitchfork.

Throm & Horris remain in the rear of the group but Throm does speak up "Aye lets torch the pile of roses. It's as good an idea as any."
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Balin, Tarpy, Rafo, will likewise take toward the rear of the party. Not having the tools to fight the 'dragon' makes them a little uncomfortable.

Waiting at the top of the steps, Balin, Tarpy and Rafo wonder what the mirror suggested be done and how they were to deal with the items within this room.

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”