The Arwich Grinder

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: The Arwich Grinder

Post by MrHemlocks »

Balin and Pratel, follow the others down the hallway....
Last edited by MrHemlocks on Thu May 08, 2014 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The attic still appears empty, apart from barrels strewn here and there, some with bits of meat or blood still clinging to them. You can hear something like whimpering now, coming from the other end of the attic. There are some barrels there, but nothing that could hide anything larger than a man.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

MrHemlocks wrote:Balin and Pratel, follow the others up the ladder. "This is what I suggested a while back." Balin grumbles as his stubby fingers grasp at the wooden ladder. "I suggest we get everyone outside and burn this place to the ground!"
I think these guys are "down below" with Abram and Bill, not up in the attic the people climbing the ladder...
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

The trapper grunts, then moves up the ladder.

"Blast it, shine the light on me while I go up. Someone's wimperin', could be a child..." Despite that, he has his weapon ready to strike should it be a threat.

Bron follows him up, sword at the ready.

OOC: I was going to have him grab the light and put it on the floor of the attic while he goes over to the wimpering sound, but as it's in the hands of another player's character, that's a faux pas for me as a gamer. That said, it would be fantastic to have backup on this, as meta-me thinks it's one of those fat guys with the blood about to carve out a chunk of a zero-level trapper! There's a movie with a guy who hides in the attic watching people through holes before killing them with a hammer. yikes!
drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

Ooc: yeah, I was thinking about just passing it up to you, but hey, we can share the risk :)

Remembering his encounter with the scary but somewhat pathetic Very Large Man in the stables, Godwin calls out "Is there someone there...? If you come out slowly, we won't hurt you...?" Despite his hope that there might be someone to rescue, Godwin's a little doubtful that they'd be able to tell friend from foe, at this point...
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

OOC: Oh, wait, so you're up with me? Great! Good, I missed that part earlier. Yay, Bron might not die instantly then! And the trapper.
drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

Ooc:: yeah, your call for light inspired the others to come up, rather than just pittas up the light.
GlassEye
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GlassEye »

ABOVE: Badr Balik follows Godwin with his bloody dagger clutched in his hand. It makes for awkward climbing of the ladder but Badr isn't taking any chances. Well, no more than he is already by going up into a dim attic with some invisible, elephantine creature stumbling about. "Who's up here?" he calls.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Something moves heavily and fast at the far end of the attic, and mewls in apparent fear. A barrel is knocked over and rolls a little way. No creature can be seen, however.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

Godwin will advance toward the noise, holding the lamp in one hand, his butcher knife in the other. "Hello? Are you alright...? I won't hurt you..." Godwin leaves off the end of his thought, ...if you don't jump out and try to eat us.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

OOC: kept from game for days due to family and school! sry for lateness. Gah!

IC:

Trapper moves with purpose towards the sound, speaking directly as he does so.

"Oy there, we're here to help. Please, come out 'n trust us!"
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Balin and Pratel continue to follow the narrow passage with Abram and Bill in the lead. As the group turns away from the large room with hex-shaped tiles, Balin stops and takes a look, without going in the room, at these tiles. Being a dwarf he tries to get the feel of these tiles. Asking himself what purpose do they serve , who placed them and why the hex shape.
GlassEye
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GlassEye »

ABOVE: Badr Balik follows Godwin. They've managed to survive this working together so far and he isn't about to break their luck now. He quickly wipes the blood off the blade of his dagger and sheathes it. Moving up he holds his hand out as if to a strange dog. "Come on out..."

BELOW: Abram Cove pauses while Balin looks into the room so as not to divide the small group up any more. He waits until Balin says its okay to continue or if the dwarf looks like he wants to study the room in more detail Abram will join him.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Sorry for the long delay.

ABOVE: As you move forward, there is a thunderous noise, and the floorboards of the attic shake as something moves at the far end, but there still is no sight of any creature. There is a titanic squeal. In the flickering light, Badr notices that, among the bloodstains on the floor, are what look like the chubby handprints of a baby....but the scale is all wrong - such a baby would needs be at least the size of a horse! Worse, there is something even more disturbing about the prints, which surely look like that of an enormous baby.......?

BELOW: There seem to be holes in the center of each 5-foot hex section, and it is probable that they could be lifted out.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

"Guys". Balin calls out to the group. Pointing at the floor tiles he continues speaking. "Those tiles look like they can be lifted. Maybe under them is where these sick Curwens keep captives to feed to their tentacle beast. I say we take a look." Pausing, in front of the opening to the room, Balin shouts out. "Hello, is there anyone in need of help! We are here to free you, but we need to know... Shout out to us!"

GlassEye
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GlassEye »

ABOVE: Badr Balik looks at the over-sized print in the blood as if he isn't sure what he is looking at. He points it out to the others. "A handprint. But, it's huge." His eyes dart to the far end and he shakes his head. "I don't know what to do here, my friends." Despite his statement Badr begins edging towards the area of the attic where it seems the squealing is coming from.

BELOW: Abram Cove squeezes through so that he can examine the tiles alongside Balin. He shrugs. "Ok, let's see what we've got then." He steps up and begins prying at a near tile with the head of the axe.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

ABOVE: There is more loud squealing, and a barrel goes skittering across the room towards Badr, knocking him prone unless he succeeds in a DC 10 Reflex save. Small gobbets of meat fly through the air, splattering all nearby. Godwin watches in horror as two gigantic handprints appear on the attic floorboards, although nothing is seen to create them. They are both left hands.

BELOW: With Balin's call, at least a dozen voices begin to babble from beneath the hexagonal stone tiles, begging for release. When Abram looks downward through the holes of one, he can see what appears to be a naked human being, young and male. The man's eyes seem to shine, perhaps from the reflected torchlight. "Please release me!" he says. "Please! Before they come back!"
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

OOC: are the hand prints appearing in a line, or are they side-by-side? The trapper, being a tracker, would naturally wonder this. Are we dealing with an invisible baby that has two left hands, or two left hands on his left side? I'm thinking either patchwork baby, or some kind of human centepede baby (haven't seen the film the Human Centepede, btw, this is just the image I'm asking about).

IC:

The trapper and Bron, as one, decide this is a horror that needs to be stabbed.

"Fie! It's an... invisible, flesh-eating baby!" Bron cries, stabbing towards the last place he heard the sound, and wherever the last handprints were made. The trapper, too, attempts to have at the thing.

From below the room, Lady Arvandra calls up "It eats invisible flesh? Where would it even get that? I don't think I have any..."
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

OOC: (rolls dice) ...um... oh dear.

1d20+1=9, 1d8+1=3, 1d20+1=2, 1d8+1=4

So, um, those are terrible. The first one misses, and the second one... I suppose I should roll for a fumble? That's, what, a d20 modified by luck? (which is ironic, as I've just rolled a 1...)

1d20+1=18 Wait, no, that's a +2, not +1, and Fumbles are reverse-luck... So... 17-2 is 15

(looks up Fumble rules) Ahh! okay, let's roll some proper damage (he's got a sling for 1d4): 1d4=3, and that means he's down to exactly 0!

So is Trapper dead?
GlassEye
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GlassEye »

ABOVE: Badr Balik is struck by the barrel and knocked flat and so misses the mayhem that breaks out around him as he his getting to his feet. "What? Brom! Bandobor! What are you doing?"

BELOW: Abram Cove curses under his breath. "Who are you?" He takes his club and pokes it into the hole trying to use its leverage to lift the edge of the hex-tile so he or one of his companions can get something under the edge to help pry it up.

OOC: Badr's save: Ref save (1d20=8)
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

ABOVE: It appears to be a huge baby with two left hands, from the prints. There are certainly right-handed ones around....Maybe two right hands as well?

In any event, a roll of 9 is a hit, and Fumbles depend upon what sort of armour you are wearing. Wearing no armour is a mere d4, and Rolz.org says the roll was a "2", so modified from Luck, Trapper merely is so wildly inaccurate that he makes himself the laughingstock of the party.

That was, effectively, a surprise round, in your favour. You can roll damage for that "9" if you like, and post it with your initiative and actions for the next round, for the titanic cry of baby rage that comes with being wounded announces with great certainty that there is going to be some response.

BELOW: The oubliette-like hexagonal cell below the cap looks deep enough that the occupant should need help to get out, even if the cap was lifted. Unless it can climb walls. Or fly. Or leap like a human flee. "A poor soul," the naked man-like things says from below, "trapped here by that evil old man." You could lift the stone cap with your hands if you wanted, although it looks heavy and would take a bit of muscle, but your club is too wide to enter the holes.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Balin and Pratel enter the room with Abram Cove. "I new it." Cries Balin. "Down here is where those evil Curwens store persons for experiments or food for their hungry god!" Looking at Abram Cove and his attempt to lift the stone lid, "here mate," Pratel says with a worried look on his face, "let me help you. Drop that stick and let us lift the lid with our hands."

Balin watches the two lift at the stone lid while keeping a lookout for any dangers.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Okay. There is no problem lifting the lid. The man (or man-like thing) below expresses his gratitude and begs you to throw down a rope.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Okay. There is no problem lifting the lid. The man (or man-like thing) below expresses his gratitude and begs you to throw down a rope.
After the stone lid is removed, Balin lowers down his 10' pole. "Here grab onto this and we will pull you out." Being carful NOT to hold onto the pole with a too tight a grip, in case the stranger tries to pull him into the hole, Balin braces himself. Pratel, also aware of the possible dangers holds onto the Balin for added security.

Tarpy looks over at Abram Cove. "Watch carefully and get ready to attack should the need arise."
GlassEye
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GlassEye »

BELOW: Abram Cove nods to Balin to make sure he knows that Abram understands. So far, everything down in this hole has tried to kill them and Abram expects the man will turn out to be some sort of demon-larvae that tries to eat them. He takes a step back and keeps his axe in hand and ready to attack just in case. "C'mon, Bill, get your weapon ready..."

ABOVE: Badr Balik scrambles over to the ladder leading down and hollers down, "Arvandra! Lady Aelfwyn! We need you up here!"

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”