The Revelation of Mulmo PBP - WARNING SPOILERS

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: The Revelation of Mulmo PBP - WARNING SPOILERS

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The passage travels about 150 feet before it empties into a room that is roughly 30 feet square, with another passage leading out of the center of the far wall. In each corner there stands a wooden statue of an elf, unarmed, but in an attitude of watchfulness. The dust is thick down here, as though this area has not been entered in a very long time.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Yoros reverently sets down his fallen Dwarfen ally, and waves Han and the others to stay in the hall.

He, hammer ready, cautiously enters the room, turning to keep his eyes moving and not missing sight of any direction for long.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

With a creaking noise, the wooden statues begin to shake off the dust of ages, moving towards Yoros with stiff legs.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

"From my knees I will now stand, Maimed One, as I understand that my redemption is now over."

To Yoros:

"Try taking a few steps back, to see if they follow."

The whip is kept in hand.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Keeping the statues in sight as well as possible, weapon at the ready, Yoros moves back toward the entrance.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

Maledict walks up next to Yoros, two-handed sword drawn.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

When Yoros steps back out of the room, the statues return to their original positions.
SoBH pbp:

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

Maledict solemnly says: "I think this is our path. I can feel we're in the direction of the Well of all Wells. We need to destroy these protectors."

Sufferus: "I think our dim-witted friend might be right. But perhaps we can find a way around them? Han?"

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

"If we could lasso them and so bind them before we even enter the room, they would at least be slowed down and at best unable to do anything..."

Yoros starts making a lasso at one end of his rope.

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

Sufferus and Maledict watch as Yoros and Han work to tie the statues up.

Sufferus: "What will you tie your lasso to, when you've caught them?"

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Okay,

Han and Yoros figure out and explain what they are going to do as they tie lassos on to each end of each length of rope they are carrying [I am assuming Han the Thief has some rope -- the character was "handed off" to me with only the stats that the previous player had in his signature, and there was no equipment listed].

Each end of the rope will bind one statue. The rope will then be gathered up by the middles and tied off to an iron spike set outside of the room in such a way that there will be no slack and the statues cannot 'see-saw' to change the length of their shared leash -- that is to say one can't get closer to the spike in order to let another gain more mobility.

This should mean running through the room with limited interference from the statues. The statues at the farther end of the room will still have some mobility, but will have to get free of the ropes to do much, anyway. By then we should all be across the room -- and hopefully the statues can't simply exit out the other side.

We should all try to get across the room as a group as much as possible. If we do it one by one, each one of us gets the statues more ready for the rest of us, so to speak.

"Maledict, Sufferus... what do you think, eh?"

P.S. oh, and if distances mean we don't need two lengths of 50' of rope to set this up, we reserve rope where we can for future dilemmas.

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

GnomeBoy wrote:
"Maledict, Sufferus... what do you think, eh?"
Sufferus: "The plan seems flawless. Let's do it."

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I am a little (!) unclear on what you intend. The room is a square box, 30' to a side, with an archway in the center of the east and west walls. From the eastern archway, the two statues in the northwest and southwest corners are clearly visible. Those in the northeast and southeast corners can only be seen once the room is entered.

If I understand you, you wish to use one rope to lasso two statues, so that one is on either side of the rope. The center of the rope will be attached to a spike driven somewhere. Where is the spike driven, and who drives it? Which statues are at the end of each rope (assuming success in lassoing them)? It seems like you want to lasso the eastern statues, in an attempt to limit their mobility to approximately a 15' arc within the room?
SoBH pbp:

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

The plan is to lasso all four. If their slight progress from the corners when Yoros was in the (more or less) center of the room isn't enough to make them apparent from the doorway, then to get those two closest to our point of entry, we'll have to lean in and be quick about it and then lean right back out (which might not be a bad thing, since it will shorten their leads, so to speak). The closer targets are roped first.

If the room is 30' on a side, it may take roping one 'distant' and one 'close' target on each 50' of rope. Yoros will drive the spike the ropes will be tied-off to... He can set two if one can't hold both ropes. They would be set at whatever point made the ropes taut so that the statues can't reach further across the room than they are standing when tied off.

Han will do the lassoing, trying to get the rope to cinch around the arms and torsos of the figures, if possible.

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

Sufferus: "Like I said, flawless."

Shinobi27
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Shinobi27 »

So did this PBP just die out of the blue or relocate? I was enjoying reading is all.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Shinobi27 wrote:So did this PBP just die out of the blue or relocate? I was enjoying reading is all.
I think RL happened. Also, we started with a good-sized group, dwindled to two, and then had people come and go -- so continuity was frustrating.

Shinobi27
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Shinobi27 »

That's a pity. I'm debating whether or not to run a PBP Trolls of Mistwood or Feast of the Preserver here.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Shinobi27 wrote:That's a pity. I'm debating whether or not to run a PBP Trolls of Mistwood or Feast of the Preserver here.
My impression of play-by-post is that it's very worthwhile -- but you've got to keep it moving and interesting to as many players as possible, and if it can wrap within two to three months, it should be fine.

Those I've been in seem to peter-out as players drop away. Start with more players than what you think is right, because some will be gone by the first week or two.

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”