The Revelation of Mulmo PBP - WARNING SPOILERS

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

The Revelation of Mulmo PBP - WARNING SPOILERS

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Warning. This thread contains SPOILERS for The Revelation of Mulmo. Do not read this thread if you intend to be a player in this module. In fact, do not read this thread unless you are either playing in the game, or are thinking about buying the module, or have bought it and are considering lurking for ideas about how to stage it.

Because, you never know. You might get a chance to play. And playing is more fun than reading a pbp thread.

If you are a player, reading this thread WILL damage your enjoyment of the module.

So, did I mention that there are spoilers? There are.

You have been warned.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: The Revelation of Mulmo PBP - WARNING SPOILERS

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Seriously, did you not see the last post?

Spoilers ahead.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Last warning.

Spoilers.
Still here? Then we begin.

It is with great sadness that you laid Vrór Bloodholder to rest in his sepulchre. But it is not long since the surly dwarf died when Hamun Ry has a strange dream. In it, he sees a lonely hill topped by a knotted grove of thorn trees. It is night out, with an enormous moon. Everything seems encompassed by shadows like tendrils of a monstrous darkness. A voice is whispering from deep below the ground:

Beneath this faerie hill does lie
Waters which bring the dead to life

Upon awakening, the Puzzle-Maker realizes that he knows that hill, Erle Howe, which legend says was once a home to elves. The hill lies to the east, two days' ride, at the edge of a forbidding wood.

Could the dream be true?
SoBH pbp:

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

The secretive Warlock calls his occasional adventuring companions to his tower just outside of town for a meeting. His servant, the idiot Otto, ushers everyone into the Warlock's parlor. Some few minutes later, Hamun Ry descends a staircase and enters the room, his face set in his usual scowl, but his eyes glittering with avarice.

"A vision came to me. Erle Howe, a hill two days east of here, holds a secret water which might restore life to the dead. Obviously this would be of interest to our departed dwarf. And I ... have my own reasons ... for seeking it. I propose that we assemble and investigate, as you well know dreams are often true."

He folds his hands.

"Of course, it's not without risk. The forbidden wood may hide dangers. The hill itself may be guarded, perhaps by elves, who were once rumored to live there. But, perhaps if so ... there may be other arcane secrets to learn there. What say you?"
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

Maledict the cavalier comes to the reunion fully armored, as usual.

- A secret water you say? That would restore life? Perhaps this is the Wells of all Wells, that which would allow mortalkind to live anywhere and everywhere! I will seek it out with you and find it. As for dangers and elves - which are one and the same I hear - I scoff at either one's timid attempt to stop us from reaching our goal.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Stouthart
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Stouthart »

Bloody Jep grunts as he leans forward in his chair. The obese Halfling fixes his gaze on Hamun Ry, his milky dead left eye glinting in the meager light.

“What’s dead should stay dead. If those that perished by my blades started coming back, I’d be in some kind of hurt.” Jep caresses the handles of his precious hand-axes as he speaks.

“That being said, I care not what you do with this damned water. Promise me foes to fell and gold to glean, you’ll have my axes at your side.”
Revelation of Mulmo PbP:
Bloody Jep the Accumulator (chicken butcher Halfling 4); STR 14, AGI 6, STA 17, PER 10, INT 9, LUC 13; Chaotic; AC 14 (Chainmail); HP 29; Dual-wield Handaxes; Blinded Left Eye; Follower of Cadixtat, the chaos Titan
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

""Shall we venture forth and solve the riddle of the Waters and the Hill?" quips Tanntos. "And maybe glimpse the World Beyond This Life with all its mystery and darkness?"

The Enigma-Judge's eyes gleam eerily in the light of the hearth-fire, his countenance--and intentions--hidden beneath the odd black masque. He appears eager to depart, and caresses his khopesh with anticipation. Many un-dead have fallen beneath that sharpened blade...

"More importantly, might we return our Dwarven friend from Death's clutches by bathing him in these waters?"
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

"Ah! A vision in a dream in the puzzle maker's slumber... Is it a riddle itself?" jokes Yoros, his eyes gleaming. He holds the expression until just before Hamun looks like he will answer, and then cuts him off, his face now sobering. "Our friend Vror was struck down well before his time -- there are many s'kath and sneevlings waiting still for him to cut them down."

"I am honored to attempt this for my friend. Dangers he faced for my behalf, so danger cannot daunt me."

"Shall we ride tomorrow?"
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

"No time like the present," Hamun Ry says. "Otto, gather my traveling things and saddle the horses."

[Can we assume we've got horse and tack?]
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Yes, you can assume you have horse and tack. You can even assume loyal retainers to watch your mounts while you are within the elf hill.
SoBH pbp:

Stouthart
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Stouthart »

"What... no dinner? Bah!" Jep squeezes himself free of the chair and stands up. He reaches into the folds of his cloak and produces a bloody, half-eaten chicken. He immediately brings the fowl carcass up to his ugly face and tears away a fleshy pink hunk, which he chews viciously.

"Good thing I brought my own!" As he talks, small explosions of raw chicken erupt from his mouth. "Let's get going then!"
Revelation of Mulmo PbP:
Bloody Jep the Accumulator (chicken butcher Halfling 4); STR 14, AGI 6, STA 17, PER 10, INT 9, LUC 13; Chaotic; AC 14 (Chainmail); HP 29; Dual-wield Handaxes; Blinded Left Eye; Follower of Cadixtat, the chaos Titan
Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

- I am ready to ride immediately towards the elf hill.

Indeed, Maledict opens the door and his warhorse is right there, on the porch, saddled and ready. His girth and armor make his climbing onto the saddle complicated and everyone always wonders whether he'll make it, but his old mare is patient and the cavalier finally reaches his destination.

- Water that restores life, Maledict says in a low voice. Hopefully it will help my bad tooth also.

He looks about the room at his companions.

- I will bring Rupert the Imp* as my squire, before anyone else claims him for his own on this journey. I plan on training him to be either a scribe or a knight, since sword and quill are so alike.

(*) Rupert the Imp is a half-dwarf, half-giant, huntchback, mentally challenged, very nice but incapable of doing anything right, 10-year old child. He is, however, quite nice and says "v'hello" to everyone through oversized teeth.

As if conjured, Rupert the Imp appears from behind the warhorse, with one eye looking towards the ground and the other, towards the crowd gathered in the house. "V'hello!"
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The first day's ride is uneventful, with naught on the road save serfs and labourers. You see the animals of field and copse a-plenty - pigs running wild, stray cats, dogs, the occasional deer. By evenfall, you have reached the Sign of the Frothing Tankard, an inn of moderately good repute. By all accounts, the ale is good and the food filling.

(It will cost 5 sp each if you want to stay there, plus 2 sp per henchman, but I assume that this is chump change for you by this point in your careers!)

That night, though, Hamun Ry has another dream. Again he sees the elf hill surmounted by an enormous full moon. Again, he hears the voice whisper....There seems to be something sinuous about it, as though it were not human at all:

My aid I will give you for aid rendered me
As tree falls to earth and earth supports tree
Within I shall guide you to my fallen slave
And in waters of life, he shall first bathe
Say ye “yea” and my wisdom I share
Say ye “nay” and never shall you walk there
SoBH pbp:

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Hamun Ry awakes in the night, and speaks aloud "yea, I will walk within." Otto snorts and starts. "Mast?" Hamun Ry glares at the simpleton. "Be silent."

In the morning, when the rest of the party awakes and is eating breakfast, he will recount his dream. "Something speaks to me, in my dream." He twiddles the plain gold ring on his finger. "I don't know what it might be. It is possible that this might be a clever trap to ensnare us and steal our treasures. We should proceed cautiously. I recommend a circuitous approach to the hill, perhaps we should spend at least a day scouting out the area around it for the safest approach. What say you, warriors?"
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

beermotor wrote:Hamun Ry awakes in the night, and speaks aloud "yea, I will walk within." Otto snorts and starts. "Mast?" Hamun Ry glares at the simpleton. "Be silent."
But Hamun Ry hears these whispered words:

With your word, our pact then you seal
And by my name, with Mulmo thou deal
SoBH pbp:

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

Maledict looks at the warlock, frowning. He squints, as he thinks things through.

- This oatmeal is truly atrocious, he finally lets out as he spits his outmeal to the ground.

He then gathers his gear, mounts his warhorse, snifs the air, looks at the sky, bends down to the side on his saddle, blows his nose, straightens, snifs the air again.

- I agree, we should scout the circle and circle the circuit. I am ready when you are.

Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

beermotor wrote:"I don't know what it might be. It is possible that this might be a clever trap to ensnare us and steal our treasures. We should proceed cautiously. I recommend a circuitous approach to the hill, perhaps we should spend at least a day scouting out the area around it for the safest approach. What say you, warriors?"
Travič deftly produces a set of picks and tools from seemingly out of nowhere, but holds them cautiously, as if they were razor sharp. He stares at them in the morning light.

"I'm no warrior, but leave the traps to me."
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

beermotor wrote:It is possible that this might be a clever trap to ensnare us and steal our treasures.
"Our treasures...or our very souls?"

Tanntos nods accent at the suggestion of scouting the hill first.

He gingerly bites at a spoonful of oatmeal, grimaces, and turns, glowering at the tavern keeper. "Are you trying to kill us?"

The tavern keeper shrugs and says weakly, "It's made with bacon drippings and goat milk!"

Tanntos flicks several gold pieces to the keeper. "Will this cover all of us?" After testing the coins to see if they're counterfeit (by, of course, biting them), the keeper hastily and enthusiastically nods. "Yer welcome here any time!" he beams, avariciously. "Your mounts are fed and saddled in the stables."

Enigma-Judge Tanntos verifies that he has all his equipment, seems satisfied, and looks at the group.

"Shall we depart?"
Last edited by Ogrepuppy on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

So, to the hill!

We'll go and observe the hill from a safe distance, maybe 500 yards or more? Depends on how big it is and what the surrounding topography is like. Looking for entrances into the mound.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

[How are we going to resolve dice-rolling? An online tool? Or on the 'honors system'?]
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

I use rolz.org, honor system.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

"You think that food was bad -- it's manna from the Gods compared to that time the Death Dwarves had me in their prison... Definitely more healthy to not eat, than to eat what they were serving! Did I ever tell you about the time...."

etc.

In the scouting of the hill/mound, Yoros is ready to bolt out into the open, to draw a threat to himself and give his companions the benefit of cover, if the need arises...

[And I just keep some dice by my computer unit. They seem to work.]
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Dice are resolved via the honour system.

You ride on for another day, approaching the vicinity of the elf hill as night draws nigh. From without, Erle Howe appears to be a steep-sided grassy hill, topped by a tightly-woven ring of thorn trees. It is no more than 500 feet north to south, and perhaps half again east to west, rising to a height of maybe 100 feet.

Hamun Ry hears a voice whispering, for the first time outside of his dream. It is clear enough that no one else hears it.

Facing hill and setting sun,
Seven times around it run
Solstice, midsummer’s eve or equinox
Is the time to part elf locks.

Can it be just coincidence that this very night is the vernal equinox?
SoBH pbp:

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Hamun Ry wheels his horse around. "I know the name of the one who speaks to me now. It is 'Mulmo.' Ring a bell with any of you?"

Assuming not... "It spoke to me again, just now, and said that we must ride around the hill seven times, facing the hill from the east looking west [Daniel I'm assuming sun sets in the west here! might not be a valid assumption]. I'm not sure if it matters whether we ride north or south, the voice wasn't quite clear on that point. But it seems the 'elf locks'--" he points up at the thicket of thorn trees on the top of the hill-- "will part and allow us to enter, once we've done this. So what shall it be, General? North or south? Choose, and let's ride quickly."
Stouthart
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Stouthart »

"We're to ride in circles then, so we'll be too dizzy to do battle perhaps?" Jep laughs loudly at his own jest. He's always thought he was the funniest person he knew. "Lead on Warlock, but not too quickly! I wish to keep my lunch in my stomach where it belongs."
Revelation of Mulmo PbP:

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”