The Revelation of Mulmo PBP - WARNING SPOILERS

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: The Revelation of Mulmo PBP - WARNING SPOILERS

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Sorry about the delay in posting.

Nothing happens when Hamun calls out, but there are plenty of other cages to try.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Yoros moves back to the cage area, to lend a hand.

"Perhaps, if we can restrain a bird before it leaves the cage, it will tell you what you want to know..."
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

You certainly may attempt it.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

"...though I'm not clear why you think these birds will talk..."
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

"Some birds are smarter than others," Hamun Ry says. He picks another crow or raven if available, if not something like a parrot or macaw, and opens, attempts to coax it once it enlivens. IF it enlivens...
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Okay, Hamun now has a crow in his hand. The bird seems used to being handled; it is calm enough.
SoBH pbp:

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

"This bird likes you, Hamun -- but do you know how to speak crow?"

Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

Maledict is becoming impatient. Dead birds coming to life, that's elf magic. Let's find rings, he thinks. But he waits and says nothing.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

"Ring?" Hamun says to the bird. "Where are the rings?"
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

"Caw!" says the bird. "Caw! Caw! Caw!"
SoBH pbp:

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Yoros waits with a glimmer in his eye for Hamun's translation...

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Hamun Ry tries to Comprehend Languages, hoping to get a good result. He does not (6 + 4 + 2 = 12). Don't have my book handy but I don't think that will allow for comprehension of animal language. If he needs a d14 check, it's 12 - 1 = 11.

He mutters and puts the bird on his shoulder, if it'll sit there, and begins searching around the room for shiny ring-like objects or coins.
Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

"Caw! Caw! Caw!" says Maledict in a genuine attempt to make friends with the bird. He's not trying to actually say anything meaningful, he's just passing time.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

"The caster can read writing in one terrestrial language for 1 turn. Terrestrial languages are those spoken by mortal, earthbound creatures, such as dwarves, giants, and goblins. Some sample of the language in question must be visible in front of you."

Sadly, this does not help you in this instance.
SoBH pbp:

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Raven_Crowking wrote:"The caster can read writing in one terrestrial language for 1 turn. Terrestrial languages are those spoken by mortal, earthbound creatures, such as dwarves, giants, and goblins. Some sample of the language in question must be visible in front of you."

Sadly, this does not help you in this instance.

Ya don't say... :roll:

Hamun Ry mutters something about "gol-durn rassafrassin' online d20s" ...

He searches the room, the cages, etc, for anything small and shiny. Or, anything small and interesting, really.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Well, there are small dead birds. Also large dead birds. Some mid-sized dead birds. One very large dead bird.

The cages are shiny....some of them shinier than others.

And there are lengths of ribbon, as I mentioned.

What do you do with the crow?
SoBH pbp:

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

"Caw! Caw!", continues Maledict to no one in particular, as he walks around the cages, acting like a bird.

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

What are the cages made of?

Is there any writing on the ribbon? Is there any clue as to what it was used for? Tied to birds?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The cages are made of brass, copper, or gold.

That the ribbons might be used for tying birds to is a real possibility; they are not in perfect condition and show signs that might be from such a use.
SoBH pbp:

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

"Caw! Caw!" continues (perhaps annoyingly) Maledict as he grabs a ribbon and ties it to the neck of the biggest bird he can find.

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

"Shall we start tying all the birds up and then setting them back to life...?"

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

No need. The biggest bird Maledict can find is the man-sized eagle. As he opens its cage door, it shakes itself back into life (or a semblance there off) and looks at the ribbon with a distinctly unfriendly eye. Is Maledict still going to try to tie it around the bird's neck?
SoBH pbp:

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

No, seeing the bird react this way towards the ribbon, Maledict rips the ribbon in two and throws it to the ground. He opens the cage door wide and steps aside, inviting the bird to step out. "Nasty elf witches kept you here under some spell, have they?", he says to the bird. "Wrack! Wrack! Well come out now, you're free!"

"Wrack! Wrack!", he croaks again, in a very bad imitation of an eagle's screech, and moves his arms like wings. The armor-clad knight seems oblivious to the fact that making questionable bird imitations is not without suggesting that his mind is not perfectly attuned to the world he lives in.

Could he possibly hold the eagle on his arm (16 STR) or is it like way too heavy? (I assume even a large bird remains relatively light weight or is his wingspan incredibly wide? Then again, what the heck do I know about giant man-sized birds? ;) ) If the bird seems large but not too heavy (e.g. less than 100 pounds), Maledict sheathes his sword and tries offering his arm for it to perch on, seating his elbow against his thigh and bracing his arm with his second arm to hopefully support the weight.

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

If the crow will sit on his shoulder, Hamun Ry will put it there.

"Let's continue searching."
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The crow, once released, flies out through the ceiling.

The large eagle - easily big enough to pick up and carry off a halfling in its talons, moves from its cage, eyes warily watching the group, and especially Maledict with his strange action. (The ribbon is actually not at all easy to tear into two; all he does is hurt his hands.)

"Strange as you are, you have set me free," says the eagle, "and I thank you for that. I, Anweman, Prince of Eagles, acknowledge the debt that I owe you for my release."
SoBH pbp:

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”