The Revelation of Mulmo PBP - WARNING SPOILERS

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: The Revelation of Mulmo PBP - WARNING SPOILERS

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Ouch.

Hamun Ry gains a sense of strong magic in the air all around him, although nothing specific immediately leaps outward. Then a buzzing swarm containing millions of bees or wasps arrives from below (magical!), and bodily lifts the wizard from the ground, sweeping him away to the north. He has a strong sense of a malignant intelligence controlling the swarm....the dread Enzazza, attracted by his magic use within the Howe!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

Maledict immediately throws one end of his rope towards the warlock, hoping that the latter will catch it before he is whisked away.

(I'll roll an attack roll, of course don't hesitate to substitute if anything else is required instead.)

Deed die 1d6 = 1
Atck 1d20 (14) + deed die (1) + 2 = 17
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Assuming Hamun catches the rope, Yoros will help anchor it at this end.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Ouch.

Hamun Ry gains a sense of strong magic in the air all around him, although nothing specific immediately leaps outward. Then a buzzing swarm containing millions of bees or wasps arrives from below (magical!), and bodily lifts the wizard from the ground, sweeping him away to the north. He has a strong sense of a malignant intelligence controlling the swarm....the dread Enzazza, attracted by his magic use within the Howe!
Hmm. Can't burn a point of Luck to avoid the effect, like corruption?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

beermotor wrote:
Raven_Crowking wrote:Ouch.

Hmm. Can't burn a point of Luck to avoid the effect, like corruption?
Nope.

On the other hand, you might be happier with a "1" than a "2-5".

Hamun Ry is whisked to the north, through a room filled with bird cages (the largest pings magic the strongest, but all do to some degree) and out to the north, where, beyond a curtain of flowering vines, the marble tower gleams. The bees and wasps then drop the wizard, but as he has hold of the rope, it is a simple matter to climb back up.

From this experience, Hamun Ry learns the following:

(1) This area is disjointed in time. Not only is the area in a separate timeline from the universe without, but it is not stable within, and this is clearly visible from the detect magic spell.

(2) The influences of the elves' patrons, bereft of their normal contacts, move through the Howe seeking both vengeance and allegiance. Again, this is clearly visible from the detect magic spell.

(3) Among other possible effects, arcane spells can fracture time around the caster, or summon the influence of these supernatural powers.

(4) Quick-thinking friends are of great benefit.

Pulling himself up the rope, it is but a small way to the round chamber north of the portrait hall. This chamber is filled with many cages of various sizes, made of copper, brass, silver, and gold. Based upon the desiccated feathered corpses in the cages, this was an aviary for many types of birds, from the tiniest songbirds to much larger birds of prey. The largest cage seems to have once held an eagle close to the size of a man, although it is now little more than bones and feathers. The floor is made of blue-grey tiles, and the walls are panelled with interlocking tiles of cedar wood, all the way up to the domed ceiling 20 feet overhead. All of these cages radiate magic to Hamun Ry's sight, but the largest cage radiates the most. There is a southward passage that leads to the portrait room after about 10 feet.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Maledict, Hamun Ry and Yoros gain 1 XP.
SoBH pbp:

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

As far as I understand, Hamun Ry would have fallen down from one of the doors that we had seen that overlooked the inner garden surrounding the tower, is that right?

So we help Hamun Ry to climb back up. Maledict (perhaps with Yoros and the others?) follows the rope to where we find the warlock, as he would probably not blindly pull on the rope without following it first.

Assuming Maledict does not die on his way to Hamun Ry ( :) ) and once the warlock has climbed back up, Maledict inspects the room with bird cages to see if there are any rings lying around unattended.

Raven_Crowking wrote:Maledict, Hamun Ry and Yoros gain 1 XP.
Level 5: I'm almost there! ;)

OOC: would a DM-provided map be a reasonable request? :) I'm starting to be lost here, as descriptions of prior rooms is days old.

If you'd rather not RC for any reason that is your own, I understand.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

More OOC: Did anyone pick up Ogrepuppy's Cleric character? I'd have gladly done so, but didn't feel I can do him justice as a character (playing 7 characters in 3 PbP games as it is). Can we use him as an NPC/henchmen type character, and then if someone expires, they can take over the Cleric as a full-bore character again?
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Maledict is in the room with the cages, and the cleric is an NPC.
SoBH pbp:

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Hamun Ry relays what he learned about magic to the cleric, but isn't concerned if the others overhear. "You have my thanks for the rope," he says. "It's a long drop."

RC, is there any way to tell if the particular spell, or type of spell, affects the die to cast? Just curious. Oh wait, the d14 was for the effect only, right?

"All right, Mumbler Mulmo, SPEAK. Reveal the way to pacify these elven spirits."

Assuming nothing interesting happens, he says "Let's Terry these cages. They're magic, like everything else in this hellish place."
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

beermotor wrote:RC, is there any way to tell if the particular spell, or type of spell, affects the die to cast? Just curious. Oh wait, the d14 was for the effect only, right?
In order: Keep casting, and yes.

There are about 30 cages in this room, of various sizes from tiny cages that would hold a single songbird, to quite large ones...the largest could hold a man, and contains the dessicated body of an enormous eagle. The others all contain dead birds as well, everything from larks to ravens to kestrels. The large cage is made of brass, but others are made of brass, copper, or even gold. The cages do not look as though they would be difficult to open.

Several long, brightly coloured ribbons are also found in the room - each between 3 and 12 feet long.
SoBH pbp:

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

"You say each cage looks magical to you ...as in, opening them brings the remains of the bird within back to life...?

"Be careful about which you open first, Hamun, please."

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

Maledict confides with his sword in a low voice as he walks between the cages.

- Cages, Lady Blackrush. There be cages everywhere. This is the kind of place where a man could step in the wrong place, if you want my opinion.

As he walks, his head doesn't move, but he eyes to the right and to the left, partly squinting.

- I've met elves before, and they didn't keep animals in cages, they slept with the darned things. 'Pardon my language, m'Lady. No offense meant, but the truth needs to be told, however hard to hear. So, this begs the question: why are there remnants of birds in those cages? I suspect something foul used those cages. Foul, or worse. Yes, foul or worse...

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Hamun Ry coughs, then clears his throat a bit. "Hrmm, let's have the thief look at these, first. The cages do (or did?) radiate auras of magic, so perhaps the dead birds may come to life. Or, perhaps worse, simply animate. After all, isn't the water of life required to restore it?"

After a few moments, and while the thief is checking for traps or whatever he's going to do, Hamun Ry strokes his now long beard thoughtfully and speaks again. "I want to test something." Then he gestures and invokes the offensive magic of Magic Missile, targeting one of the smallest cages.

3 + 4 + 2 = 9. I'm guessing that's a failure? Good Lord. He'll burn 3 Luck to make the spell work, unless the Halfling is willing to help out with a point or two???
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

Travič raises an eyebrow.

"Check for traps?"

He gestures at the cages.

"There's nothing here but..."

But then he notices that the casting has begun and that he's wasting his breath. He curses to himself as he edges closer to the biggest cage (as long as that's not the one being magic missiled!) .

"Fine, have it your way, graybeard."

Find Traps 11 + 8 = 19
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Hamun Ry, roll 1d14 and add your Luck modifier.

The cages do still radiate magic. When Trav goes to examine them for traps, he finds none, but he does notice what appears to be slight movements among the dead birds within.
SoBH pbp:

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

13, but Luck is now -1 so 12.
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

"The cages aren't trapped, wizard."

"True, they've all got creepy deathless bird carcasses in them, but they're not trapped."

That declared, Trav sidles behind the Cleric.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Magic missile targets enemies, not objects, so I guess the missile hits the dessicated bird within? Otherwise, that's all that happens.
SoBH pbp:

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

- There seems to be little here of interest.

Maledict takes a look into the portrait room.

So... any chance for a map? :) If not, simply say so. I'm this close to being completely lost now. Which is perhaps how Maledict is feeling anyway.

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Yoros will cautiously walk to the aforementioned flowering vines, his battle-mangled ears alert, and his eyes scanning around him.

Assuming he reaches them without distraction or incident, he brings out the Icon of Palymras and performs the rites to maintain Palymras' favor.

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

"We need to find the tokens to open that tower. They must be here somewhere."

Hamun Ry opens a cage, if there's a raven or crow he'll choose that over say a parrot or similar talking bird.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

As Hamun Ry opens a bronze cage containing a dessicated crow, the creatures flutters back to life! Unless he does something to prevent it, and quickly, if hops out of the cage.
SoBH pbp:

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Okay, then.

The raven hops out of its cage, croaks once - perhaps a thank-you? - and then flies up through the ceiling.
SoBH pbp:

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Hah, oops. Sigh, stupid work.

So, if Hamun Ry calls back to it, "come back, black one! Tell me something interesting!" does anything happen?

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”