Revelation of Mulmo PbP?

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Revelation of Mulmo PbP?

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Ogrepuppy wrote:Let's determine once and for all where you'd like to do this PbP: here, or at Unseen Servant?

I can see this quickly getting out of control if we're not all on the same page. Well, except for Gnomie. He's always quickly getting out of control--it's all that coffee. :mrgreen:
I will do this here.

And, as a fellow mega-coffee maniac, all I can say is.....

....pass the damn whiskey!

:lol:
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Ogrepuppy wrote:Have you tried Fireball cinnamon whiskey?
The threat of cinnamon alcohol gives me the heebie-jeebies. ~undulating wobbly-faced smilie~ Actually, just about anything cinnamon "flavored" for that matter.

*Real* cinnamon is gold, though.

*hands RC the Makers Mark*
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Introducing...

General Yoros (retired)
(Rice Farmer) Warrior, Str 13, Agl 8, Stm 17, Per 13, Int 11, Luck 7; HP 39, AC 16, Warhorse, still carries his pitchfork from the olden days, mangled ear, missing tooth
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

(All rolls, including name, were 100% random, primarily using Jon Marr's awesome DCC tools)

Introducing....

Enigma-Judge Narzill Tanntos

(Armorer) Neutral Cleric of Amun Tor, Strength 15, Agility 10, Stamina 14, Personality 14, Intelligence 8, Luck 16, AC 16 (banded mail), HP 24

Forged his own iron helmet years ago, before Amun Tor embraced Narzill into the Faith of Mysteries. Still carries his smith's hammer, but wields a khopesh sword (stats as longsword). Born under the birthsign of the Righteous Heart (turn unholy checks +2). Holy symbol is, naturally, a crook--> ? (Alternately, the khopesh could function in place of a holy symbol.)

Loves riddles, both telling and solving them--relying more on Luck than brains, which Narzill has a distinct shortage of.

1) Detect Evil
1) Detect Magic
1) Food of the Gods
1) Holy Sanctuary
1) Protection from Evil
1) Second Sight
2) Cure Paralysis
2) Curse
2) Neutralize Poison/Disease
2) Wood Wyrding

(My concept of Amun Tor is a less-evil version of Vecna. Possible Patron Spell names: Mysterions, The Encryptions of Dhaale, Dark Chains of Mog)
Last edited by Ogrepuppy on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:54 am, edited 8 times in total.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

May I just say I am in love with the title "Enigma-Judge"...

Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

Travič (trav-itch)

(Alchemist) Neutral Thief, Strength 10, Agility 16, Stamina 9, Personality 12, Intelligence 15, Luck 13, AC 14 (Leather), HP 19

Backstab (8)
Sneak Silently 2 (10)
Hide In Shadows 2 (10)
Pick Pocket 2 (5)
Climb Sheer Surfaces 2 (9)
Pick Lock 2 (9)
Find Trap 1 (8)
Disable Trap 2 (9)
Forge Document 2 (4)
Disguise Self 0 (2)
Read Languages 1 (4)
Handle Poison (8)
Cast From Scroll (d12 + 1)

His former occupation (Alchemist) and birth augur (Survived a spider bite: Saving throws against poison), plus deciding to very loosely base him on a co-worker that's fascinated with spiders, snakes, poisonous centipedes & the like, led me to this:

Travič has been obsessed with venom, poisons, & toxins for as long as he can recall. He's not an assassin; he's simply a Thief that's more than prepared to defend himself -- as a rule he prefers the non-lethal varieties, and views them as no more insidious than a warrior's weapons or a wizard's attack spells. His dedication to his craft has prompted him to regularly ingest minute doses himself in an effort to build up immunity to their dire effects.

RC: I'd like to equip him w/ some of the examples provided in Appendix P (page 446), with your permission. If I have to substitute those in lieu of my allotted 1d3 "special treasures", then that's cool, too.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Hamun Ry, the Puzzle Maker (locksmith) and Warlock (Wizard). Str 10, Agi 15 (+1), Sta 11, Per 11, Int 17 (+2), Luc 9 (Unholy House, corruption checks). Align: Chaotic. AC: 14. HP: 2+2+1+4+4=13. Level: 4. Languages: Common, Alignment tongue (Chaotic), Serpent-man, Dragon (!!), Bear (?!). [Strange results on the languages there.] Movement: 30'. Fumble Die: d8. Attacks: Melee +1, Ranged +2. Crit: d8, Table I. Saving Throws: Reflex +5, Fortitude +3, Will +4.

Born into a family with a dark past, Hamun followed in his father's footsteps as a locksmith, but the call of the dark arts was strong, and he eventually left his former life in search of power. Though not antisocial, he is predictably greedy, and quick to turn any given situation to his advantage, no matter who it hurts. He's semi retired from adventuring of late, and has been locked in his tower pursuing some strange, unspeakable research involving puzzle boxes, which he's been making. And selling.

Spells: 1st (5+1 for Int): Choking Cloud, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Magic Missile, Runic Alphabet (Mortal), Ventriloquism
2nd (2+1 for Int): Detect Invisible, Levitate, Mirror Image

Mercurial Magic results: Choking Cloud 42 n/c, Comp lang 57 n/c, Det Mag 28 Odd growths (5, crystals), Mag Mssl 68 Mirror Magic, Runic Alph 40 Ravenous, Ventrilo 88 Rain of Frogs, Det Invis 57 n/c, Levitate 2 extremely difficult (d14), Mirror Image 64 20% chance to raise/lower luck by 1d3 points (!!!!!!!!! you're going to be seeing a hell of a lot of this spell heh).

Equipment: The Ring of the Sand Djinn: +2 AC/saves, Invisibility for 1min/spellburn point, or unmake for great, unknown effect. Padded Armor, Longsword, Longbow, quiver w/20 steel-tipped arrows, 10 silver-tipped arrows, backpack, spellbook, quill and ink, sturdy parchment (10 sheets), 5 days rations, high leather boots, belt w/ belt pouch, gray robe, dark gray hooded cloak. Also carries 3 small mechanical toys: a wind-up mouse, a wooden puzzle cube (like a Rubix cube), and a small jewelry box that plays a little tune.
Last edited by beermotor on Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:00 am, edited 6 times in total.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

beermotor wrote:Hamun Ry
Is that pronounced "ham on rye"? :wink: :mrgreen:
Stouthart
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Stouthart »

I will post my character today. Looks to be an interesting mix so far. +1 for random character generation!

-Stouthart
Revelation of Mulmo PbP:
Bloody Jep the Accumulator (chicken butcher Halfling 4); STR 14, AGI 6, STA 17, PER 10, INT 9, LUC 13; Chaotic; AC 14 (Chainmail); HP 29; Dual-wield Handaxes; Blinded Left Eye; Follower of Cadixtat, the chaos Titan
Stouthart
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Stouthart »

Say Hello to...

Bloody Jep the Accumulator

(Chicken Butcher) Halfling, STR 14 (+1), AGI 6 (-1), STA 17 (+2), PER 10, INT 9, LUC 13 (+1) (Born on the Battlefield: Luck to Damage Rolls). Align: Chaotic, HP 29, AC 14 (Chainmail + 5, AGI - 1), Dual-wield Handaxes (Attack Die: 1d16+4, Damage 1d6+2), MV 15’,Level 4

He’s fat, strong, and clumsy... so your typical halfling. :P

Edit to add backstory:

Jep has always been different from others of his race. He was born on a battlefield, where an arrow pierced his mother's womb and creased his skull. Those that know him say this might be the cause of his un-halfling like love of slaughter and mayhem. His uncle, who raised him from birth, directed these behaviors in a more positive direction when he managed to apprentice Jep to the village butcher. This managed to sate Jep's bloodlust for a time... until his village was razed to the ground by evil cultists. Jep was the only survivor of the attack and set out to systematically track down and butcher those involved. Since the completion of this grisly revenge, Jep has earned his way as a sell-sword, always looking for the most dangerous jobs that promise the highest body count.
Revelation of Mulmo PbP:
Bloody Jep the Accumulator (chicken butcher Halfling 4); STR 14, AGI 6, STA 17, PER 10, INT 9, LUC 13; Chaotic; AC 14 (Chainmail); HP 29; Dual-wield Handaxes; Blinded Left Eye; Follower of Cadixtat, the chaos Titan
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Good characters.

Couple of quick questions:

* Who wants to devise the corpse? All we really need at this point is a name, gender, and class.

* If you had reached 4th level through play, you surely would have Quested for something special by now. Within reason, I'll grant it. What is it to be?

Daniel
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

Hello. I notice there are five players marked for play, and RC you mentionned you'd take between 4 and 6. Would you accept a (midly) late addition to your game in the form of a virtual impersonitification of myself?

If so, I'll conjure something up quickly and send him rolling down into your driveway in the middle of the night after a few too many drinks.

If not, that's OK too, I'm already benefitting from your kind GM-ing in another game after all.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Introducing (the now-deceased).....

Vrór Bloodholder
(formerly) Dwarven Rat-Catcher, adventurer, and all-around surly bastard
Str 17, Agil 12, Stam 4, Pers 6, Intl 9, Luck 8
Possessions: Net, Thieves' tools
Lucky Roll: Conceived on horseback (Mounted attack rolls) (-1)

Grouchy, unlucky and often prone to illness, Vrór passed away after suffering grievous wounds during drill practice in a local militia's cavalry.

.......But we loved him, and we're going to try to bring him back, by the gods!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Skyscraper wrote:Hello. I notice there are five players marked for play, and RC you mentionned you'd take between 4 and 6. Would you accept a (midly) late addition to your game in the form of a virtual impersonitification of myself?

If so, I'll conjure something up quickly and send him rolling down into your driveway in the middle of the night after a few too many drinks.

If not, that's OK too, I'm already benefitting from your kind GM-ing in another game after all.
Jump on in.
SoBH pbp:

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Hamun Ry (it's pronounced "Qham'n REE") would have quested for something like a ring of limited invisibility (say, fixed number of turns/day), or something that would provide AC or other survivability features, since he's kinda squishy. Once you dole out non-mundane equipment, can we pretty much have whatever mundane equipment we want?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Yes, you may have whatever mundane equipment you wish/can carry.
SoBH pbp:

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

beermotor wrote:Once you dole out non-mundane equipment, can we pretty much have whatever mundane equipment we want?
I rolled for 3rd Level gold and used that... vagaries of adventure, generosity, theft, charity, etc.

Still wrapping my head around gift-request.... :mrgreen:

Stouthart
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Stouthart »

I'm sure Bloody Jep would have quested for the sharpest, sturdiest handaxe (or handaxes! :twisted:) he could find. All the better to chop his enemies with... and works well on the occasional chicken.

-Stouthart
Revelation of Mulmo PbP:
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

GnomeBoy wrote:Still wrapping my head around gift-request.... :mrgreen:
I am almost universally known as a kind-hearted and easy-going GM who never allows anything bad to happen to the PCs under his care.

Really.

Trust me.
SoBH pbp:

Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Raven_Crowking wrote:I am almost universally known as a kind-hearted and easy-going GM who never allows anything bad to happen to the PCs under his care.

Really.

Trust me.
....Oh man. We're all doomed.
Stouthart
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Stouthart »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Trust me.
I just felt a chill... like someone walked across poor Jep's grave.
Revelation of Mulmo PbP:
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

Maledict Brothbreath, Cavalier (level 4 lawful warrior, formerly a humble butcher)

Current HP: 27/38
STR 16 (+2) (14w/o armor) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 16 (+2) (17 w/o armor)
Init +3 ; speed 25'
Att bonus/deed die: 1d6
Crit die: 1d20 (IV); threat range 19-20
AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1
Languages known (1): Common
Lucky roll: Guardian angel (Savings throws to escape traps +1)
Weapon choice: two-handed swords (+1 bonus to attack rolls)

Equipment: Backpack, 2 belt pouches, dried beef, butcher's cleaver (1d6) (family heirloom), warhammer (atk 1d20 + 1d6 + 2, dam 1d8 +1d6 +2), shield (usually not equipped), 3 javelins (atk 1d20 + 1d6 -1; dmg 1d6 +1d6 (+2 at close range); rg 70/140/210); waterskin; 50' rope; 4 torches; flint and steel; 3 iron spikes.
Lily's Blade, two-handed sword[/u] (atk 1d20 +1d6+4, dam 1d10 +1d6+3): +1 base bonus, communicates via empathy, and connects Maledict to the soul of the deceased Lily Blackrush, who now acts as his guardian angel. She can appear to him at her whim, and offer advice or answer questions, although she is only seen by him.
The Armour of the Lion is a bronze breastplate, moulded to show the image of a snarling lion. Although bronze, it is as hard as steel. +7 AC, +5 Check penalty, -5' movement, d12 Fumble die. In addition, the wearer's Strength is increased by 2. Unfortunately, there is a streak of bad luck associated with the armour, and the wearer suffers -1 Luck so long as he wears it.

Mount: warhorse with banded mail armor
XP: 194

Background: Maledict was always a big man. Maledict's poor mother died giving birth to this oversized baby, and his father blamed him for it and named him after that unfortunate event. His father made him work like a slave in the family butcher's shop, until the old man died in an unusual way on the day Maledict turned 16: he was trampled by a herd of rabbits that ran through the house, the animals running away from a brewing strom. Lucky Maledict jumped out of the way of the rabbits just in time, claiming that he heard a voice warn him in his head (that he now calls his guardian angel). Maledict thought the rabbits were somehow a sign that he needed to interrupt the line of family butchers that had lasted for generations, and he decided to abandon his father's shop, looking for his place in life. He only took his great great great grandfather's cleaver when he left, and never looked back, ready for years of wandering. Barely five steps from the porch of his now abandonned house, however, he met a woman named Lilly Blackrush who claimed to be of the chivalrous Order of the Town Wells. Whether this order existed or not was irrelevant, because Maledict had found his way. He followed this woman for five years, learning the ungrateful trade of being a knight-errant and trying to set things right where he could according to the principles taught to him by Lilly. She died two months ago when her horse stepped into quicksand. Maledict looked through it for hours with his 10-foot pole, but lost that too and never found but a trace of her. So he decided to continue his never ending quest to do justice, challenge miscreants and battle monsters. Maledict however lacks initiative so he finally agreed to join a band of worthy adventurers that would tell him what to do. To none has he shared that he harbors dark fears: storms and rabbits.

Brother Sufferus, Apostle of the Maimed God, He Who Shall Not Be Named, He Who Enlightens Through Pain (level 4 chaotic cleric, formerly a squire for a rich noble family)

Current HP: 8/16
STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 10
Init +3 ; speed 30'
Att bonus: +2
Crit die: 1d10 (III)
AC: 11 (13 if injured, 15 if injured to half hit points) Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3
Languages known (1): Common
Lucky roll: Struck by Lightning (+1 to Reflex savings throws)
Spell Check: + 5
Spells known (6, 4):
Level 1: Darkness, Detect Evil, Holy Sanctuary, Protection From Evil, Second Sight, Word of Command
Level 2: Banish, Curse, Lotus Stare, Scorching Ray (at -2 casting)
Current disapproval level: 1

Equipment: 1 belt pouche, dried leaves, waterskin, one torch, flint and steel.
Robe of the Faith: Usable only by a cleric or champion of the Maimed One, this robe grants a +2 bonus to AC so long as the wearer is injured in some fashion. If the wearer is injured up to half his hit points or more, the bonus is doubled to +4.
The Scourge of the Maimed One, multi-headed whip (+3, 1d7+1 damage, 10' reach). Usable as a holy symbol of the Maimed One. User may scourge himself to fuel his spells (effectively, a limited form of clerical spellburn, wherein the cleric chooses an ability score, does 1d7 damage, and gains that bonus to his spell; the cleric does not get to choose how much damage is done, and there may be secondary effects [as with normal spellburn]). In addition, and not counting towards spellburn, the cleric may choose to scourge himself for 1d7 damage, and force any single creature within 30' to take the same damage automatically (no save). Damage done by this weapon cannot be healed magically, and attempts to do so are considered sinful by the Maimed One. Finally, the cleric may attempt a Woeful Strike with the Scourge 3 times each day. However, each strike causes the cleric to take 1 point of Strength, Agility, or Stamina damage (roll randomly) as his pain fuels the Scourge. A woeful strike automatically causes a critical hit if it succeeds, and the use must be declared before the attack roll.
Barbed darts of pain (12): (+3, 1d4 (1d4+1 at close range), 20/40/60, 1 HP damage when removed)

XP: 192

Background: Brother Sufferus used to be named otherwise. In his former life, before he joined the order, he was a weak-willed man. He used to be a very handsome man, and strong. Now, thin, under nutritioned, scarred, he could be taken as handsome from afar, but from up close his sight is unsettling. Add to wide eyes and a very intense stare, people often take a step back when they first notice him. He used to be a squire for a very rich noble family, a man who stole from others when he could, who drank spirits and slept with many women. That old life is long gone now, as is his old name. But he will carry his sins of past forever. The change between his former life and the present one started long ago when, one day, he was captured by his employer, the Count, in an orgy with the Count's wife and many other noble men and women. He and all participants to the orgy were thrown to the dungeons and tortured for eleven years. There, he learned of the One True Way through his torturer. All that had been part of the orgy, including the former Count's wife, did not live through the ordeal, except for him. When it was clear that he had been converted, the torturer, a hooded man whose true identity was never known to Brother Rufus, arranged to have him secretly taken out of the dungeons and into a monastery of the Maimed One. The Count was told that the man had died like the others. He is now Brother Sufferus, apostle of the Maimed One. He walks the roads to enlighten mortals, to show them the One True Way, that of atonement for all sins through pain and sufferance. Only by walking alone and being one with one's sins and physicla limitations, can one hope to attain anything else but eternal pain in the afterlife. Relying on others for help is weakness. Relying on material items or objects of riches is weakness. Wanting to avoid pain or sufferance is vain, since that is the way of mortality. Every day, Brother Sufferus walks the paths barefooted even over ice or hard stone, eating nothing but dried leaves, drinking nothing but water. Every night he prays to the Maimed One, whipping himself in hope that atonement for his sins will be achieved. Any healing he gives his accompanied by wracking jolts of atrocious pain as the Maimed One closes wounds by ripping the soul to patch the flesh. Ugly black scars always remain where healing was received from the Maimed One. Where Evil is found, it is destroyed, together with anyone or anything it has corrupted through association. Thus is the One True Way.

Note: for healing purposes, Han = neutral; Yoros = lawful; Maledict = lawful
Last edited by Skyscraper on Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:24 pm, edited 37 times in total.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Some 'gift' options for the GM's consideration:

• The General is retired, owing to early-onset arthritis, which makes him less nimble on the battlefield than a soldier should ideally be... Anything that would accentuate his speed and coordination (and eliminate his Agl penalty) would be welcome.

• An item which grants the power of flight to an individual (or a few, if hands are linked, perhaps?). May have to be used sparingly, either having merely a limited power, or perhaps its usage frustrates other Powers.

• A lucky charm. I'll accept cereal, if that's the mood you are in. I won't speak in the twee 'brogue'.

• A mysterious item, that sometimes fulfills wishes of a (relatively) mundane sort (asking for a place to rest creates a large magical tent; a wish for food provides viands and crisp clear water; protection from the elements causes cloaks to appear) -- but only sometimes. [Could it be a Sampo???]

Any of those that lend themselves to any sort of plot-hook, I would be more than happy with. Thank you, sir.

Also, playing a Warrior, I want to ask: Can Luck be used to change the result of a Deed Die? Not wanting to go into a debate at the moment, and happy to play either way you call it -- just thought I'd clear it up, up front (even though I don't imagine I'll be actually spending much Luck, except in the most dire circumstances).

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Oh, and is this our 'play' thread, or will there be a new one (maybe in the Community section?)?

Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Skyscraper wrote:the animals running away from a brewing strom.
Damn stroms. They always rile up the rabbits!

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”