The Secret of Bone Hill - L1 DCC conversion Play By Post

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: The Secret of Bone Hill - L1 DCC conversion Play By Post

Post by Sveden »

Raven_Crowking wrote:BTW, did we get paid for our expedition as promised, or not?
We got our 10gp plus an additional 5gp for "hazard pay".
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
Bypeld: Wizard - Alchemist AL:N AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Staff or Longsword +1 (1d4+1) 13/6/9/11/15/8(7)
Orastes: Wizard - Grave Digger AL:C AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Shovel -2 (1d4-2) 4/12/12/10/14/10
Tonunt: Thief - Weaver AL:L AC:11 HP:6 Weapon:Dagger -2 (1d4-2) 5/13/9(11)/5/6/13
Portly Trim: Cleric AC:11
Fritz: Thief AC:10
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Thanks, I missed that. Before going back in, then, Cathbad is going to invest that 10 of that 15 gp in obtaining a suit of padded armour. She'll also obtain a backpack, five torches, flint & steel, a waterskin, and 5 days' rations for the journey. She tips generously enough to use up the whole 15 gp....what good will it do her if she doesn't return?
Last edited by Raven_Crowking on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Deeper into the maze of alleys the young boy takes Fritz... the shanty buildings rise twenty feet or more over his head, blocking out the suns' light, and the pathways are gloomy and dark, stinking with offal and refuse. Finally, there are no more people, and the ones he does see quickly shut their doors or shutters upon seeing the boy leading Fritz. The boy stops at a battered and ancient wooden door into a crumbling brick building. He smiles up at Fritz. "Al-haragash! He lives here!" He holds out his palm for payment.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Thanks, I missed that. Before going back in, then, Cathbad is going to invest that 10 of that 15 gp in obtaining a suit of padded armour. She'll also obtain a backpack, five torches, flint & steel, a waterskin, and 5 days' rations for the journey.
She's able to secure all of this stuff with relative ease.

One of her colleague herbalists takes her aside one day, and speaks to her. "I have heard that you've been on a strange journey with that man, Chendris. Something dark has taken hold of him. I would avoid him, if I were you. There were some Flame Knives asking questions about him in the market place the other day. I don't know what they wanted, and I don't want to know... and neither should you."
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

"I was with him when the shadow came upon him. It was a forfeit he paid to save us all, and I yet hope that he may someday walk again in the light."

Cathbad desperately wants to discover how to read the book that she found, but after her experiences is desperately afraid to mention it to anyone, lest they take it and use it for foul purposes!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

Fritz gives the boy 5 coppers. He then lifts the boys chin and looks into his eyes.

"Wait for me here and you will receive your silvers but if you've lead me to astray, the Flame Blades will pluck out your eyes."
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
Bypeld: Wizard - Alchemist AL:N AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Staff or Longsword +1 (1d4+1) 13/6/9/11/15/8(7)
Orastes: Wizard - Grave Digger AL:C AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Shovel -2 (1d4-2) 4/12/12/10/14/10
Tonunt: Thief - Weaver AL:L AC:11 HP:6 Weapon:Dagger -2 (1d4-2) 5/13/9(11)/5/6/13
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Raven_Crowking wrote:"I was with him when the shadow came upon him. It was a forfeit he paid to save us all, and I yet hope that he may someday walk again in the light."

Cathbad desperately wants to discover how to read the book that she found, but after her experiences is desperately afraid to mention it to anyone, lest they take it and use it for foul purposes!
:mrgreen:

Level 2 sure is a long way off... !
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Sveden wrote:Fritz gives the boy 5 coppers. He then lifts the boys chin and looks into his eyes.

"Wait for me here and you will receive your silvers but if you've lead me to astray, the Flame Blades will pluck out your eyes."
At the mention of the Flame Blades his eyes widen slightly, and he nods vigorously again. Then he reaches out and raps on the door rapidly, and a few seconds later a peephole slides open from inside and an ancient man's face, wrinkled and grizzled and bleary-eyed, looks out. "Whaddya want?"
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

"I've come to speak with Al-haragash."
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

The man spits out the peephole, narrowly missing Fritz. "'e's busy. Go 'way." Then he slams the peephole shut.

The little boy seems to have vanished.
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

beermotor wrote:The man spits out the peephole, narrowly missing Fritz. "'e's busy. Go 'way." Then he slams the peephole shut.

The little boy seems to have vanished.
Fritz speaks to the closed door, "My apologies sage, I was told you could tell me more about about this fearsome and awesome black blade. Apparently you are either too busy or not as powerful a man as I was lead to believe."

After waiting a moment for a response. Fritz turns to leave, keeping a cautious eye for anyone else that may have overheard him admit to owning such a powerful weapon. Lest they try to take it from him. Adrenaline seems to rush from the spot wear the black blade hangs at the thought of ever being separated from it.
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

A short moment after he turns, the peephole door slides open. "'eere now, show this blade."
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

beermotor wrote:A short moment after he turns, the peephole door slides open. "'eere now, show this blade."
"Are you Al-haragash? May we speak in private?"

Fritz undoes the clasp on the top of his scabbard and exposes the top 1" of the black blade to the man.
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

"Do I look like a wizard t'you?" the man says, snorting. "Wait here." The peephole slams shut again and the sound of sandals flapping on stone recedes away behind the door.

Some long minutes later, the sound of voices echoes closer, and the peephole opens again. A different face, older but also wiser, more shrewd, more cunning, looks out. "I am the Wizard called al-Haragash. My servant tells me there is a blade? Show me."
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

Fritz bows his head respectfully.

"Greetings master Al-haragash. I am Fritz."

Fritz again shows the topmost portion of the blade.

"May we continue this conversation in private? I have much to share about my time spent at the place once known as Bone Hill."
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

"The blade, it came from Bone Hill? Fascinating. Yes, yes, come in, come in..." the peephole slams shut and the door is unbolted from the inside, and opened. A dark, narrow hallway leads inside. The old retainer stands in front of his master, the Wizard, who's taller and more imposing then the retainer, but just as old and gray. He's dressed in flowing robes of fine crimson cloth, stitched with hundreds of strange symbols.

Ushering Fritz inside, the retainer closes the door behind him, then busies himself lighting a torch. When it flares into light, the Wizard speaks. "Call me Omar. What is your name, friend?"
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

"Fritz."

Fritz steps inside and squints to adjust his eyes to the dimness. He eyes the retainer from head to toe taking in any bulges or lumps that might indicate weapons or armor.
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

/ooc Do I have any idea what Al-haragash means? Is it a title or a name?
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

It's some kind of title. The language is old, so it doesn't mean much anymore (much like American English names don't really "mean" anything). Anyway, Fritz doesn't know.

No obvious bulges or anything on the retainer. If it came to a physical fight, Fritz could easily kill these two old geezers, he thinks. What powers the Wizard has, though, are at present unknown . . .
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

Fritz follows Omar.
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

"'ere now, dis way," the retainer says, scowling at Fritz. He leads, Omar follows, and Fritz brings up the rear... the hallway winds into the building, with many battered wooden doors on either side, occasionally the squeaking of rats is heard scurrying from underfoot in the dim torchlight. Soon, the retainer stops and bangs on a door to his left, which is opened from the inside, and then he hands the torch to Omar. "Masta." He bows.

Omar nods. "Bring food and wine for our guest, Jeho. We will be in the study."

Omar leads Fritz down a very, very long and winding staircase, that goes deep underground. This is not a normal feature of the architecture of Portsmouth, and Fritz feels like he's gone much deeper than they ever were at the ruins on Bone Hill. Finally, the staircase ends and a landing, though it continues on down further. Omar gestures with a smile at the opening that heads off to the left of the landing, and then leads Fritz down a short corridor which ends in a large room filled with bookshelves. Hundreds of books, scrolls, maps, and various writings are crammed on the shelves. In the center of the room is a small firepit where glowing red embers ward away some of the chill of the underground, and several large pillows lie scattered around on top of a fine, thick carpet on the floor. "Please, have a seat." Omar sits. Then he motions to the blade. "May I see it?"
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

Fritz takes a seat opposite the old man.

He slowly pulls the black blade from its scabbard and turns it slowly over for Omar to inspect.

"You must believe me and not take offense, when I say I cannot let you handle it. It guards me like a jealous lover. It has not left my side since I first took it from my downed comrade's hand."

"It is why I am here. I fear it."
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Omar smirks, and nods. "Powerful artifacts of the ancients often overwhelm the mind. But there are ways around it. Tell me first, though, what does the blade do?"
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

"It is impossibly sharp. Slicing through flesh and bone like a scythe through wheat. As you can see no light escapes its surface. That is about all I know."
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Omar stands and goes to a shelf, pulls a thick, dusty book off, blows on it, coughs and waves his hand at the dust cloud, cracks open the ancient pages and flips through a few, muttering to himself and nodding or shaking his head occasionally. This goes on for some time. Then he says, "a-hah! Yes, of course. Now where did I put it?" He replaces the book, wanders around for a moment then comes back with a small pouch dangling in his hand. "Here, try this," he says, tossing the pouch to Fritz. "See if it'll cut that rock."

The pouch feels like it has a fist-sized oblong stone inside.

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”