The Secret of Bone Hill - L1 DCC conversion Play By Post

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: The Secret of Bone Hill - L1 DCC conversion Play By Post

Post by Sveden »

Fearing what reason the rock is in a bag, Fritz sets down the bag on bare piece of floor without opening it.

He takes a good hard stroke and attempts to cleave the rock in two.
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
Bypeld: Wizard - Alchemist AL:N AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Staff or Longsword +1 (1d4+1) 13/6/9/11/15/8(7)
Orastes: Wizard - Grave Digger AL:C AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Shovel -2 (1d4-2) 4/12/12/10/14/10
Tonunt: Thief - Weaver AL:L AC:11 HP:6 Weapon:Dagger -2 (1d4-2) 5/13/9(11)/5/6/13
Portly Trim: Cleric AC:11
Fritz: Thief AC:10
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

The blade cuts right through the bag and the rock, splitting it neatly in two... then goes right through the carpet and the stone floor.

Omar arches an eyebrow.

The bag parts over the halves of the stone, and you can see it was black and glossy, obsidian. A very rare rock.
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

/ooc Assuming Fritz doesn't know what the rock is

"Would this rock knick steel?"

Fritz bends down and feels the rock's cleavage*.

*tee-hee
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
Bypeld: Wizard - Alchemist AL:N AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Staff or Longsword +1 (1d4+1) 13/6/9/11/15/8(7)
Orastes: Wizard - Grave Digger AL:C AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Shovel -2 (1d4-2) 4/12/12/10/14/10
Tonunt: Thief - Weaver AL:L AC:11 HP:6 Weapon:Dagger -2 (1d4-2) 5/13/9(11)/5/6/13
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

*imagines MST3K spoof*
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

It's quite sharp, and Fritz gets a strange jolt when he touches it. DC 26 Will save, please. :-)
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

/ooc Darnit! Must remain vigilant.

Will Save
1d20+2 = 22

/ooc Is a 20 an auto success? Assuming not. Can't decide if its a good thing or bad thing to fail this save.
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Well, you won't know unless you fail it, I guess. :twisted: So Fritz can burn some Luck if he wants, or fail and see what happens...
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

High I, die. Low I burn luck.

d100= 82

I take it.
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Fritz suddenly has no idea where he is, or what he's doing. The last (1d4+1=) 3 months are simply gone from his memory. This includes the expedition to Bone Hill.

He only knows what he sees right now, there's an old man dressed in robes seated nearby, watching him intently. There's a glassy black rock on the ground that he's just picked up, and there's a slight bustle behind him...

"'ere now, clear off!" says a gruff voice, and an older man, his face scowling, pushes by and pulls something out of the ground: a sword hilt, and apparently there's a black blade attached to it. The older man, apparently a servant of the robed man, walks over behind his master and gently places the blade on a small wooden side table. (OOC: Fritz the character doesn't have any reason, at this point, to believe that there's anything unusual in that act itself, although as a player, you'll note it's pretty peculiar...!)

"Thank you for bringing me the obsidian," the robed man says. "It was... most interesting. As we agreed, here's a hundred gold pieces for your trouble." He motions to the retainer, who pulls out a heavy looking pouch of coins and tosses it to Fritz. "Is there anything else I can do for you while you are here?"
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

Fritz blinks.

"Obsidian?" He turns the rock and bisected bag over in his hand.

He tests the weight of coins. His eyes widening.

"Oh right, of course."

He hungrily paws through the sack getting a rough estimate of the amount of coins.

"Where did we meet? I... am confused. Did you come into my master's cart shop? Why don't I remember meeting you?"
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

By Fritz's quick count, there's about 100 coins in the bag, all gold. They gleam in the dim torchlight of the study/library that he finds himself in.

"Hmm," says the robed man, rising. "Do you feel well? Perhaps you should sit down. Let me examine you for a moment. Quick!" he claps his hands twice. "Bring our guest some tea and refreshments." The scraggly old scowling man scurries off, feet flapping on the stones.

The robed man places his palm on Fritz's forehead and looks concerned. "Hmm, I fear you may have contracted a fever. You should find lodgings and rest. I do not recommend this part of town, which is, as you know, quite dangerous, as well as a haven for the Crescent Moon Guild. They'd not look kindly on a Flame Knife initiate hanging about."
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

"Flame Knife?!"

Fritz sits down where he can.

"Me? I d-d-don't. You must have me confused... I-I I'm a wainright."

His hand fumbles at his brow, searching for the first signs of fever.

"What is your name?"

Fritz stares at the old man, hoping, pleading, begging his mind to recognize the man's name. If he knows his name maybe his mind will begin to trace the path back to sanity.
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

"I am Omar. You brought me the obsidian for my research." He scoops up the fragments and the pouch, tucks it away in a pocket.

"Your name, I believe, is Fritz. I know you are a Flame Knife because of your tattoo..." he takes Fritz's hand and turns over his forearm, exposing the large tattoo on his wrist area. "Wainwright in a prior life, perhaps, but you're a member of a powerful Guild now."

He smiles, showing perhaps too many teeth.
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

"Omar..."

Fritz stammers some nonsense while looking at the tattoo.

"I see. Well thank you for the job. I'm sorry to be such trouble. Its just that I don't remember any of this. Where did I find the rock? Did something happen to me? Did I hit my head?"
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Omar shrugs his shoulders. "I'm not sure, you may have had some sort of fit in the brain. It's rare in one so young, but, not unheard of. Ahh, here's the tea and cakes now. As for the rock, I'm not sure where you got it, but there are many dangerous places in the mountains to the north of here, and some old volcanoes which might have such rock in abundance."

The servant shuffles in with a tray bearing a silver tea service and a small bowl of some sort of flaky pastry things. He pours tea, unceremoniously dumps a pastry on a saucer and gruffly hands it to Fritz, then shuffles out again. Omar sips tea and nibbles his pastry, but says nothing unless spoken to.
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

Fritz takes a few polite sips of his tea. The only real thing he can make of this situation is the money in his pocket.

Grasping at straws so as not to appear completely insane in front of this kind old man, "Do you have any other jobs I can help you with?"
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

He pauses for a moment. "As a matter of fact, I do have a task for you. While this obsidian is sufficient for my research purposes, I require much more for a certain ... construction project that I'm embarking on. I know that you've seemingly lost the memory of where you obtained this stone, though, I must confess," his eyes narrow a bit, "I suspect you to be rather a skilled negotiator, moreso than an honest agent. But," he waves his hand, "be that as it may... if you will attempt to locate another supply of such stone for me, I will reward you handsomely. Many times over what you've just been paid. Beware, though, the northern mountains are dangerous, especially the volcanoes, where you might find such rock. Are you interested? I can supply you with mapping implements and a boy to accompany you to map the journey, and once you locate the site, simply return and I will send servants to quarry and retrieve the rock."
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

"Yes, I am interested but I would be remiss to take the job before speaking to my employer Jessup. Harvest is coming soon* and we always have many repairs to complete so the farmers can bring in their crops. May I take a week to consider your offer?"

/ooc *this is Fritz thinking its 3 months in the past
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Omar nods. "It will probably take you that long to gather some companions. I wouldn't go alone, if I were you. Here, I have something for you..." He stands up and walks away, Fritz quickly loses sight of him among the bookshelves, and he hears him rooting around in a trunk or something with a lid, which slams shut a few moments later. Omar returns, bearing a hammered copper cuff rimmed with silver. It's engraved with strange, stick-like symbols.

"Wear this. It is a potent magical device. Once per day, you can use the cuff to open a door of your choosing and walk through, to here. And, you can walk through any door here and return to a place of your choosing. But, it must be a place you have been. Do not, under any circumstances, attempt to walk through a door to a place that you haven't been." He smirks. "There's no telling where you'll end up. It might work, but the risk is great. If you've been to the place you're trying to go, though, there's no danger... for one person. Each person you bring with you increases the risk of danger slightly. I would not try it with more than 3 or 4 companions." He hands the copper cuff to Fritz.
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

Fritz's gingerly accepts the copper band.

"Thank you, sir. I do not know what to say! I've only heard rumor of magic. To actually hold something so powerful in my hands... I am at a loss for words."

"How does it work? I cannot cast spells. How will it know where I want to go? What language is this?"
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

He rolls his eyes slightly. "You just think of where you want to go, open the door, and walk through. You will appear from the nearest doorway. Nobody will notice. You won't even notice. The device is a sort of master-key to this place." He gestures around. "This world."

He coughs. "As for the language, or who made it ..." he shrugs. "There are many such things in this place. Nobody can say exactly how magic works. That's why it's magic."
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

Bolstered by the coins on his belt and the powerful magic item on his wrist, Fritz is able to set aside his confusing.

"Thank you again for the payment, I'm glad I could be of use. I will return after I have talked to my master."

As he leaves, he stops and turns,

"How do I get out of here? And how do I get back?"
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

"Weren't you listening to what I just told you?" He points at the door. "Close it. Think of the place you want to go. Open it. Walk through."
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

"Oh I didn't think it a good idea to use it for such simple purposes as walking across Portsmouth."

"Should I try it now?"
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Omar chuckles. "You're free to wander in this part of town if you wish, Flame Knife... but you might end up dead pretty quick. I suggest you use the artifact. I'd rather have my agent succeed in his mission."

FWIW, Fritz can easily remember where he works, all of the inns and taverns in that area, etc. So it isn't too difficult for him to recall a place to go, and then he can hook up with the rest of the party there over some time, although...he might not remember them!

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”