The Secret of Bone Hill - L1 DCC conversion Play By Post

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, michaelcurtis, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: The Secret of Bone Hill - L1 DCC conversion Play By Post

Post by GnomeBoy »

Chendriss puts his hand on Bypeld's shoulder. "Bypeld, we may be onto something momentous here -- but only time will tell. And I don't think this foul ruin is the best place to decipher these particular mysteries effectively. I do wonder, however, if Cathbad would be will to allow us to look into the book she found..."
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Unless some save is required to do so, Cathbad will do so. I am assuming that it is a spellbook, personally. I hope so. It would be keen to have an option instead of Ventriloquism! :lol:
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

It certainly looks like what you think a spellbook might look like. Nobody can read it, though (without Read Magic).
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

beermotor wrote:Nobody can read it, though (without Read Magic).
Sounds like we're going to need to hire someone in... "Excuse me, sir, could you read this book to us?" :mrgreen:
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

"I'll have Read Magic eventually," says Cathbad,
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

ooc...So, to move things ahead a bit. We get through the night and are rested up for another days worth of adventuring? Thorin and Fosco DID go aehad and place the bed and bottles at the top of the stairs and took their turns on watch. We closed the door, in the NE bedroom while we rested.
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

Tonunt has offered to take her share of the watch.
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
Bypeld: Wizard - Alchemist AL:N AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Staff or Longsword +1 (1d4+1) 13/6/9/11/15/8(7)
Orastes: Wizard - Grave Digger AL:C AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Shovel -2 (1d4-2) 4/12/12/10/14/10
Tonunt: Thief - Weaver AL:L AC:11 HP:6 Weapon:Dagger -2 (1d4-2) 5/13/9(11)/5/6/13
Portly Trim: Cleric AC:11
Fritz: Thief AC:10
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

All the glassware is mysteriously back in the room it came from when Thorin and Fosco wake up... :shock:

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

...Did I kill the game???

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

busy weekend, update tomorrow...
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

[Dice clatter as the Judge rolls for random encounters during the day...]

The party is undisturbed while they rest. Everyone regains 1 HP, including 0 levels.

The suns have set now and night is quickly falling outside. Those on watch during the day saw and heard nothing unusual. In fact, it was almost too quiet all day long.

Now what?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Cathbad: "I say, if these things are active only at night, we board ourselves up in a defensible position and wait until the coming of another day. Then we kill them all while they sleep!"
SoBH pbp:

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

The bodies of the dead (Timor, Abraham, the bear-bugs) have begun to stink pretty badly, over the course of the day.

Holing up might be an option, but recall that the trip out took a few days, and I'm not sure there's enough rations to go around. Food and water may quickly become an issue.

With that said, there is a barrel of water in the laboratory that seems safe to drink. It has a ladle, too.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

beermotor wrote:The bodies of the dead (Timor, Abraham, the bear-bugs) have begun to stink pretty badly, over the course of the day.

Holing up might be an option, but recall that the trip out took a few days, and I'm not sure there's enough rations to go around. Food and water may quickly become an issue.

With that said, there is a barrel of water in the laboratory that seems safe to drink. It has a ladle, too.
Out of Character: It seems that the two problems you mentioned might be solutions to each other, in proper D&D cannibal murder hobo fashion. :shock:
SoBH pbp:

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Just make sure you cook it long enough... ! :lol:

Also, Portly Trim, your snake-bit hand has begun to turn black.
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

If the talk turns to food and the fact we are running out, my crew will suggest we attempt to finish our task, find some more gold and start the trek home.
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
Bypeld: Wizard - Alchemist AL:N AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Staff or Longsword +1 (1d4+1) 13/6/9/11/15/8(7)
Orastes: Wizard - Grave Digger AL:C AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Shovel -2 (1d4-2) 4/12/12/10/14/10
Tonunt: Thief - Weaver AL:L AC:11 HP:6 Weapon:Dagger -2 (1d4-2) 5/13/9(11)/5/6/13
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

So, have we cleared the upper level and ground floor? We should probably make a good scout around, and make sure nothing is hiding in the corners... And check the grounds better with the advantage of daylight.

Then we return to town, re-group, maybe hire some extra muscle, take a day or two to heal up, and return -- how's that sound?

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Who's searching what, specifically?
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Being that it is early evening and the party is rested Thorin and Fosco begin their day by dragging out the dead bodies from the room and placing them in the destroyed egg chamber room. They will than eat their rations and wait for the rest of the party to make their minds up as to stay in the ruins or head back to town.

After eating Thorin smells for gold and jems...
Fosco, looks out the window and lites up his pipe. Longing for home he hopes the party leaves this place soon.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

OOC... Crud, I somehow missed that the whole day went by. I was picturing the fight happening at dawn, and a little bit of waffling around (an hour?) and six hours or so of sleep leaving some daylight left in the day... Ah, well; makes for tougher choices, which is better.

Can we see the grounds from any of the rooms? Flavia and Hector are looking for signs of the chained up zombies outside, and generally getting a look at the surroundings of of the building.

Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

Tonunt says, "I wouldn't mind checking that gold pile again. I got only a few handfuls before the stink drove me out."

/ooc Did Tonunt heal any of the stamina damage she sustained?
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

You could look out the windows during the daylight, but you didn't see any chained up un-dead outside. However, you do occasionally detect a faint reek of decay, and every great once and a while, there's a strange clanking sort of sound, as if from far off, carried by the winds.

[No ability point loss has healed, yet... those weakened by the stench still feel pretty queasy. They probably need a few more days of good, quiet bed rest, and a hot meal or two.]

Thorin, you detect the faint smell of brass from above you, somewhere. Otherwise, there's a general metal smell coming from the party's gear and coins that they carry, and that's about it.

Oh, the bag that Hector got with the gems, did I mention that it had a fairly sizeable stack of platinum coins in it? Well, it does.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Alright, so Hector is buying a round for everyone when we get back to town, for sure... Right before treasure is divvied up... :mrgreen:

So. Shall we take another stab at the gaseous basement? And then make our way home to refresh and resupply and come back with foreknowledge?

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

GnomeBoy wrote:Alright, so Hector is buying a round for everyone when we get back to town, for sure... Right before treasure is divvied up... :mrgreen:

So. Shall we take another stab at the gaseous basement? And then make our way home to refresh and resupply and come back with foreknowledge?

Thorin and Fosco both agree that it is time to leave these ruins. Fosco, turning away from the window says, "if we leave than we do it at the break of day when these ruins are less active."

Thorin sets up. " Yes, I also feel that these ruins have done a toll on me and the rest of the party...what is left of us. When in town we can mend our wounds and buy better gear. Than head back here and level this place and all the foul beast within."

Fosco says, "and we should have a talk to that man, I forgot his name, that sent us here and report our findings so far. Something wicked about that fellow that drives me away from trusting him..."
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Cathbad shrugs. "I'm with you fellows. I'm sure as hell not staying here alone!"
SoBH pbp:

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”