The Secret of Bone Hill - L1 DCC conversion Play By Post

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, michaelcurtis, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: The Secret of Bone Hill - L1 DCC conversion Play By Post

Post by cthulhudarren »

beermotor wrote:Heh, that's what I get for not double checking. So, cthulhudarren is correct; you only get to roll 1 HD, since you're just first level. (Does this imply 0-levels cannot be healed? Interesting.)
Perhaps a 0 level should get a 1d4, and then a first level char gets 1HD plus 1d4, and so on? Seems fair.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

cthulhudarren wrote:Sorry to barge in... I thought maybe he had healed for 3HD in order to cure Stamina damage, since those characters don't even have 3HD (you can only roll as many HD healing dice as the recipient actually has HD)?
My bad. Thanks for keeping us honest. :)
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

"I think sitting and waiting in this foul place is the worst thing we could do," says Flavia. "I think we need to keep pressing them. We know that that bear of a bug and his master are here somewhere, perhaps spying on us right now... We can't let them regroup, plan and harry us further -- we need to harry them!"

"I say we should go up to the next level and see if we can't do them some damage for a change...! We should get ourselves into groups of two or three, so no one is standing alone. Darrow, you can strike at range, and should remain in the middle where you can also perhaps heal those at the perimeter -- is anyone else in that category?"
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

GnomeBoy wrote:
cthulhudarren wrote:Sorry to barge in... I thought maybe he had healed for 3HD in order to cure Stamina damage, since those characters don't even have 3HD (you can only roll as many HD healing dice as the recipient actually has HD)?
Baal-damned rules lawyers! :mrgreen:
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

cthulhudarren wrote:
GnomeBoy wrote:
Baal-damned rules lawyers! :mrgreen:
:-) Nah, I appreciate it, too. Also, the guy who was playing Fritz / Portly Trim seems to have disappeared... if he doesn't show up again, you could take them over if you want.
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

beermotor wrote:Also, the guy who was playing Fritz / Portly Trim seems to have disappeared... if he doesn't show up again, you could take them over if you want.
/ooc I've been having a lot of trouble reaching this site the past week. As in certain ranges of IP addresses cannot resolve this domain whatsoever. That or Goodman Games banned my IP address. Which I'm doubting since I brought the issue to the attention of the mods.
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
Bypeld: Wizard - Alchemist AL:N AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Staff or Longsword +1 (1d4+1) 13/6/9/11/15/8(7)
Orastes: Wizard - Grave Digger AL:C AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Shovel -2 (1d4-2) 4/12/12/10/14/10
Tonunt: Thief - Weaver AL:L AC:11 HP:6 Weapon:Dagger -2 (1d4-2) 5/13/9(11)/5/6/13
Portly Trim: Cleric AC:11
Fritz: Thief AC:10
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

After a few minutes of needed rest, food and smoke Thorin and Fosco stand up and ready themselves for more adventuring.

Thorin looks around at the group. "When you all are ready let me know. We can than get some sort of marching order and precede up the stairs."
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

"We don't have to go back through that stench do we? I don't know if I could take any more. I find it hard to breathe now and my chest aches.", Tonunt asks.
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
Bypeld: Wizard - Alchemist AL:N AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Staff or Longsword +1 (1d4+1) 13/6/9/11/15/8(7)
Orastes: Wizard - Grave Digger AL:C AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Shovel -2 (1d4-2) 4/12/12/10/14/10
Tonunt: Thief - Weaver AL:L AC:11 HP:6 Weapon:Dagger -2 (1d4-2) 5/13/9(11)/5/6/13
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Jack heartily concurs with Tonunt.

"I never knew such a stench could exist," he says. "Worse than mucking out the biggest barn in the world!"
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

/ooc I guess I'll just go ahead and vote to avoid deadlock. My characters are feeling very protected seeing the strength of their comrades and the power of the clerics.

One by one, Tonunt, Bypeld and Orastes agree to push on. That is as long as they aren't doing it alone.
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Thorin points to the stairs leading up. "That is the way I suggest we go. Least it will give the stink that is below a chance to clear a bit."
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

OOC • Don't have the time at the moment, but I'd like to dig back through the game and read again how to gain a spell on the fly for Chendriss if we're pressing forward... I'll get to it ASAP.

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

It's on Raven Crowking's blog... just Google him and search the blog, you should find it.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

beermotor wrote:It's on Raven Crowking's blog... just Google him and search the blog, you should find it.
http://ravencrowking.blogspot.ca/2012/0 ... ls-on.html
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Has the guy playing Portly Trim returned yet? If not can we run his characters? He need more bodies :lol:
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Raven_Crowking wrote:
beermotor wrote:It's on Raven Crowking's blog... just Google him and search the blog, you should find it.
http://ravencrowking.blogspot.ca/2012/0 ... ls-on.html
I've got it bookmarked at this point - all those hits it is getting today and yesterday are probably me... :mrgreen:

Do I roll this when I first want to use a spell? Or should I do it while we have a moment of relative calm? Doing it now conceivably avoids some of the hazard of the technique...

I'm thinking I'll go for it for Color Spray alone, and save my others for when we have study time (unless circumstances dictate otherwise).

Also, Darrow is planning to cast Second Sight before we go up the stairs (saying it now, in case events progress without me on the forum...).

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Well, is Darrow casting Second Sight, or not?

And I think the on-the-fly learning is meant to be done like now, rather than when first use. At least, let's go ahead and do it if you are gonna.

Anyone else doing anything?
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

beermotor wrote:Well, is Darrow casting Second Sight, or not?

And I think the on-the-fly learning is meant to be done like now, rather than when first use. At least, let's go ahead and do it if you are gonna.

Anyone else doing anything?

Waiting for the rest of the party Fosco and Thorin take guard near the steps. Seeing Darrow casting a spell gives both hope that maybe now luck is on their side.

ooc...I am ready to continue when you guys are.
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

Marching order Orastes, Bypeld and Tonunt.
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Darrow will cast Second Sight just before ascending. I was waiting to make sure we were ready to ascend, because some of the effects can be very short term... But here's the roll: 12 - glimpses the future, gains +4 to a roll in the next round.

Can that be a second casting? :mrgreen:

As for the result of Chendriss' hasty learning, he dredges up what he can of bits and pieces of knowledge, aaaannnddddd....

He gets a 14, which beats the 11 he needed. Now Mercurial Magic rolls: 00 & 79 (and subtracting 20 from each yields...)

• Dimensional Schism (80)
• No change (59)

Cool. 8)

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Hector will pair up with Orastes, in order to watch his back.

Flavia will take point of my remaining three, followed by Chendriss and Darrow.

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Ok, so where's Jack/Cathbad/Abraham in the order? Thorin/Fosco are on point? And I'm assuming from what y'all have written that you've moved back one room, and are at the base of the stairs going up...
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Cathbad and Abraham, then Jack. Jack is careful to watch behind him....or believes he is. I imagine that they are bringing up the rear.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

beermotor wrote:Ok, so where's Jack/Cathbad/Abraham in the order? Thorin/Fosco are on point? And I'm assuming from what y'all have written that you've moved back one room, and are at the base of the stairs going up...
Since Orastes, Bypeld and Tonuntare up front the Dwarf and halfling are behind them.
What about Portly Trim and the other character? They vanished? Maybe place them on point since the player seems to have vanished? :lol:
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Should we try this 'marching order' thing again? How many can fit on the stairs shoulder to shoulder, effectively if something attacks? Perhaps two? Three?

This is an awkward process via PbP. Maybe we each designate each of our characters as Front Line, Right Flank, Left Flank, Middle, or Back Line. In narrow spaces Right Flank is behind Front Line and Left Flank is just before Back Line.

Assuming we use this structure:
Flavia - Front Line (or Left Flank if no one else is)
Hector - Right Flank
Chendriss - Middle
Darrow - Middle

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”