The Secret of Bone Hill - L1 DCC conversion Play By Post

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, michaelcurtis, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: The Secret of Bone Hill - L1 DCC conversion Play By Post

Post by Sveden »

Orastes crouches at the top of the stairs and continues to listen for trouble.

He attempts to fit the wooden shield to his arm. Its awkward

"Any chance I could use that small metal shield, friend?" Bypeld asks for and receives the buckler.

Tonunt secures the coins in her backpack. And tries to cough as quietly as possible into a pocket cloth.

/ooc Did Tonunt take the stamina damage or was it clear of stench when she gathered coins?

/ooc Are there any Dwarves who don't have a shield yet?

/ooc What are the armor bonuses for the buckler? Shield is +1, what is the buckler?
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
Bypeld: Wizard - Alchemist AL:N AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Staff or Longsword +1 (1d4+1) 13/6/9/11/15/8(7)
Orastes: Wizard - Grave Digger AL:C AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Shovel -2 (1d4-2) 4/12/12/10/14/10
Tonunt: Thief - Weaver AL:L AC:11 HP:6 Weapon:Dagger -2 (1d4-2) 5/13/9(11)/5/6/13
Portly Trim: Cleric AC:11
Fritz: Thief AC:10
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Sveden wrote:Orastes crouches at the top of the stairs and continues to listen for trouble.

He attempts to fit the wooden shield to his arm. Its awkward

"Any chance I could use that small metal shield, friend?" Bypeld asks for and receives the buckler.

Tonunt secures the coins in her backpack. And tries to cough as quietly as possible into a pocket cloth.

/ooc Did Tonunt take the stamina damage or was it clear of stench when she gathered coins?

/ooc Are there any Dwarves who don't have a shield yet?

/ooc What are the armor bonuses for the buckler? Shield is +1, what is the buckler?
She took the Stamina damage, yes... the stench still hangs down there like a cloud. Thorin is the only dwarf, I believe.

The buckler may be used a shield by anyone, but it may be used as a shield along with a weapon by someone of above average Strength (13+). +1 AC, -1 check penalty as a regular shield. And if pertinent, typical dual wielding penalties apply... although you could conceivably wear another shield instead.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Darrow, seeing the injured Dwarf and Halfling, steps forward. "I have been signaled by Rudra and he has made me his emissary. I can attempt to ease your injuries, with his blessing, and your permission..."

Darrow, will place his hands upon their wounds, if given permission to do so. Two Lay On Hands checks: 20 & 9 (which causes another penalty pip). Another check: 17. Not knowing their alignment, I don't know what the results are; Darrow is Neutral.

BTW, Hector is a Dwarf, too. 8)

OOC Isn't this still somewhat a funnel? Shouldn't we expect to lose characters? I don't feel like I've been a shrinking violet, but I still have four -- and I hope to get down to one at some point, because I'd rather just run one character.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

Orastes looks around at the group. "I don't think I know how to use this thing very well. Especially with this shovel here. If someone else wants it, here it is. Maybe you could watch old Orastes' back with it, yes?"

Bypeld continues strapping the buckler to his arm. Testing it out with his longsword.

Tonunt's eyes go wide as she see blood on her kerchief. For the first time Tonunt speaks.

"I saw symbols on the stairs. They were religious, did anyone learn their letters?"

She blushes and continues, "I didn't. Never had the time."
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
Bypeld: Wizard - Alchemist AL:N AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Staff or Longsword +1 (1d4+1) 13/6/9/11/15/8(7)
Orastes: Wizard - Grave Digger AL:C AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Shovel -2 (1d4-2) 4/12/12/10/14/10
Tonunt: Thief - Weaver AL:L AC:11 HP:6 Weapon:Dagger -2 (1d4-2) 5/13/9(11)/5/6/13
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

beermotor wrote:Um, as I recall, you have two clerics: Portly Trim, Acolyte of the Great Spirit, and Darrow, Acolyte of Rudra the Huntsman... there's also a couple characters who would make fine clerics waiting in the wings to level up, I think. Or maybe it's wizards they'd make, heh...

Not that you can't decide to leave now, that's perfectly acceptable. Just saying I think you're forgetting that several party members hit level 1 a while back.

ooc...I thought our only cleric was turned into an undead. Guess I was wrong.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

ooc...for heals Thorin is Good and Fosco is N.

They look at the cleric. Surely in communication with higher powers and allow him to place hands upon their wounds.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Okay, so it looks like Thorin and Fosco each get 3HD of healing.

Orastes is giving Hector a shield? Hector puts it on his arm and tests the weight of it. He then realizes he has it upside down and flips it over, momentarily loosing track of the strap and attempting to hold it by it's front. He then gets it right and stops blushing as much. "Thanks," he says, "I've got your back!"
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

Orastes hands Hector the shield and brightens at the thought of a dwarf ally.

Bypeld beings inspecting the gourd he grabbed. He turns it over in his hands looking for writing and listening to the contents of the gourd.

As soon as he is sure it doesn't appear dangerous he opens the gourd and takes a few careful wiffs of the cork.

/ooc Hoping his occupation can come in handy in this gourd bizness.
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

Tonunt asks, "Brother Darrow, will you look at these writings on the stairs. I will hold a torch while you inspect. One of the symbols is surely a religious symbol."
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

GnomeBoy wrote:Darrow, seeing the injured Dwarf and Halfling, steps forward. "I have been signaled by Rudra and he has made me his emissary. I can attempt to ease your injuries, with his blessing, and your permission..."

Darrow, will place his hands upon their wounds, if given permission to do so. Two Lay On Hands checks: 20 & 9 (which causes another penalty pip). Another check: 17. Not knowing their alignment, I don't know what the results are; Darrow is Neutral.
Darrow's hands tingle with the healing power of the growing tree, the running stag, the stalking tiger... and the whistling arrow of the Huntsman. Some of Darrow's own life force flows out into the wounded, too, and when his prayers are done, he feels dizzy for a moment, as if he'd just exerted himself for a long time, though it was only a few minutes.
BTW, Hector is a Dwarf, too. 8)
Oops! Sorry, forgot about him!
OOC Isn't this still somewhat a funnel? Shouldn't we expect to lose characters? I don't feel like I've been a shrinking violet, but I still have four -- and I hope to get down to one at some point, because I'd rather just run one character.
Ain't no "somewhat" about it; this is definitely a funnel. If you want to lose some characters, start taking some action. :P Of course, smart or cautious play can result in more than one 0 level making it, but nothing says you have to play them all... you can retire a few to town as backups, or whatever.

If Thorin/Fosco want to leave, might be an opportune time for some folks to go with them.
/shrug
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Bypeld, the gourd, which definitely holds some sort of liquid, smells faintly sweet and spicy, perhaps a bit nutty.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Sveden wrote:Tonunt asks, "Brother Darrow, will you look at these writings on the stairs. I will hold a torch while you inspect. One of the symbols is surely a religious symbol."
Assuming Darrow looks, he notices that the symbols are unrelated to his religion. He is familiar with the Lawful religions, though, and these symbols look to be of that type.
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

/ooc my group is willing to go back to town. Tonunt is a little weak from her experience but will stick with group
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

ooc...Before going, or not going, anywhere how much were Throin and Fosco healed?
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

MrHemlocks wrote:ooc...Before going, or not going, anywhere how much were Throin and Fosco healed?
GnomeBoy wrote:Okay, so it looks like Thorin and Fosco each get 3HD of healing.
My usual habit is to let folks roll their own healing dice, but if beermotor prefers otherwise, I can do the rolling when I'm doing the healing... :mrgreen:

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

I think the healee is supposed to roll, so roll some dice Thorin/ Fosco...
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Cathbad says, "Let us find a place away from this stench to recover. Then I, for one, am willing to go forward, though it may mean my death."

"Worse than death in this place," mutters Sexton Abraham. "But I will go with you."
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

beermotor wrote:I think the healee is supposed to roll, so roll some dice Thorin/ Fosco...

What do I roll for 3HD of healing?
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

MrHemlocks wrote:
beermotor wrote:I think the healee is supposed to roll, so roll some dice Thorin/ Fosco...

When you're healed, you roll your character's hit dice. So, for a dwarf, that's a d10. For a halfling, that's a d6. If he healed 3HD, then Thorin rolls 3d10 and Fosco rolls 3d6. If they're down less than 3, they're fully healed and don't need to bother.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Fosco and Thorin both thank the young cleric for the blessings. For they both feel and look fresh and ready to carry on with this adventure.

While the rest of the party comes to terms as to what to do next Thorin eats away at his rations. Sitting along side the wall, in the shadows, he rest his bones.

Fosco, lites up his pipe and smokes away his troubles... "This pipeweed will drive that stench of our clothes and ease your minds. Anyone want to try a few puffs?"

ooc..Wow! Those heals from a 1 level cleric are powerfull. The most powerfull I have seen in any RPG. Both are healed fully...easily.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

After a few minutes Thorin gets up. "Might I suggest we try going up stairs and let the room down there, pointing down the steps, air out for awhile. There were steps, in the other room, leading up to an upper part of these ruins. Maybe leads to a watch tower of something. Least it will take us away from the smell down below."
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

beermotor wrote:
MrHemlocks wrote:

When you're healed, you roll your character's hit dice. So, for a dwarf, that's a d10. For a halfling, that's a d6. If he healed 3HD, then Thorin rolls 3d10 and Fosco rolls 3d6. If they're down less than 3, they're fully healed and don't need to bother.
Sorry to barge in... I thought maybe he had healed for 3HD in order to cure Stamina damage, since those characters don't even have 3HD (you can only roll as many HD healing dice as the recipient actually has HD)?
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Heh, that's what I get for not double checking. So, cthulhudarren is correct; you only get to roll 1 HD, since you're just first level. (Does this imply 0-levels cannot be healed? Interesting.)

So, Thorin roll 1d10, Fosco roll 1d6.

Next, they still have suffered ability damage as a result of the cloud of stink, and continue to do so (i.e., it doesn't go away after they leave the cloud, they still feel sickened, at least at the moment). There is no way to heal that via the lay-on-hands ability of a cleric. There's a spell that can do it later on. They cleric can heal specific conditions but ability damage isn't one of those.

Finally, Darrow gains and additional disapproval point for healing the dwarf. He feels a little bit guilty about healing one of that race, who're known for their love of "unnatural machinery," digging deep into and disturbing the earth, greed, etc. Rudra frowns a little bit. Some atonement will be necessary.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

ooc...still good. Fosco gets back 4 and Thorin 6. So, the 3HD would be to heal a wound like broken leg or Paralysis? But with the ability lose he is till done one hit point...
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

MrHemlocks wrote:ooc...still good. Fosco gets back 4 and Thorin 6. So, the 3HD would be to heal a wound like broken leg or Paralysis? But with the ability lose he is till done one hit point...
Correct, ability loss can impact the maximum hps, at least temporarily. (So far as you know. Maybe it's permanent!)

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”