The Secret of Bone Hill - L1 DCC conversion Play By Post

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, michaelcurtis, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: The Secret of Bone Hill - L1 DCC conversion Play By Post

Post by Crimsontree »

Thanks for the extra information that allowed us to get out. After 9 days of forum time being locked in a room it was getting frustrating.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Crimsontree wrote:Thanks for the extra information that allowed us to get out. After 9 days of forum time being locked in a room it was getting frustrating.
You might try reading descriptions and stuff. I mean, I typed out all that crap for a reason. From page 8:
Darrow, the hunter, is fairly wise and observant, and this is what he notices about the creature, gathered from its movements and apparent habits: 1. It is probably a solitary predator (despite its proclivity for speaking in the plural), much like a spider or a scorpion, as it seems to dislike confrontation, except when attacking from surprise. 2. It's very smart, and set up an ambush of some sort (Darrow doesn't yet know that the door locked his comrades inside the room). 3. When it was holding up its arms, he noticed that the hands ended in four strangely humanoid "fingers" around a central palm, and it held them in a V-shape (much like Spock/Star Trek).
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

beermotor wrote:
Crimsontree wrote:Thanks for the extra information that allowed us to get out. After 9 days of forum time being locked in a room it was getting frustrating.
You might try reading descriptions and stuff. I mean, I typed out all that crap for a reason. From page 8:
Darrow, the hunter, is fairly wise and observant, and this is what he notices about the creature, gathered from its movements and apparent habits: 1. It is probably a solitary predator (despite its proclivity for speaking in the plural), much like a spider or a scorpion, as it seems to dislike confrontation, except when attacking from surprise. 2. It's very smart, and set up an ambush of some sort (Darrow doesn't yet know that the door locked his comrades inside the room). 3. When it was holding up its arms, he noticed that the hands ended in four strangely humanoid "fingers" around a central palm, and it held them in a V-shape (much like Spock/Star Trek).
-1 XP for backtalk!

<Sorry, couldn't help it> :)
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

cthulhudarren wrote:
beermotor wrote:
-1 XP for backtalk!

<Sorry, couldn't help it> :)
Yeah, for real. Well, anyway, I'm not going to do that, but I bet Raven_Crowking would. :P
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

beermotor wrote:Yeah, for real. Well, anyway, I'm not going to do that, but I bet Raven_Crowking would. :P
[threadjack]

Please subtract 10 XP from all characters in my Barrowmaze game.

(I kid.)

[/threadjack]
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

The fact that he had to put "(I kid.)" should clue you in to how tough of a DM he is. :D
Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Crimsontree »

beermotor wrote:
There's no need to get sarcastic or pissed off about it. I'm sorry that I didn't pick up on your clue to get us out on page 8.
Last edited by Crimsontree on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Crimsontree wrote:
beermotor wrote:
Ther's no need to get sarcastic or pissed off about it. I'm sorry that I didn't pick up on your clue to get us out on page 8.
Ok, I'm willing to give you a pass and chalk this up to a miscommunication, but you've been to my eyes somewhat snarky about a few other things, so I read what you wrote as being snarky. Even your "I'm sorry that I didn't pick up on your clue" part seems more than a little snarky to me. Anyway, whatever.

On with the game.
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

beermotor wrote: On with the game. Who should I kill next?
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

To bring us back to the action, the door's just opened on the "prison," inside are Chendris, Flavia, Portly Trim, Thorin the dwarf, and Fosco the halfling. Outside are Darrow, Hector, and Fritz, who's stopped quaking in his boots now. In fact, Fritz wonders aloud "what happened?" He cannot recall the last few minutes, just prior to encountering the man that he attacked.
Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Crimsontree »

beermotor wrote:
Ok, I'm willing to give you a pass and chalk this up to a miscommunication, but you've been to my eyes somewhat snarky about a few other things, so I read what you wrote as being snarky. Even your "I'm sorry that I didn't pick up on your clue" part seems more than a little snarky to me. Anyway, whatever.

On with the game.
I'm not cool with the teacher/naughty pupil vibe that has developed & being on probation isn't what I had in mind when I signed up to a fun online game. I think it's best if I drop out of your game before this degenerates into a slanging match. Thanks for your efforts.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

:roll:
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Thorin and Fosco see the door to their prison open. They stand up and do the 'happy dance.' http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/pla ... ortal&tt=b

Thorin looks over at Fosco. "Say lets me and you head down the hall and get that pick axe." Sure thing Fosco nods with agreement!" The two of them pass the others in the doorway. "We will be right back...getting my pick axe. I feel it will come handy here."

ooc....please Crimsontree stay with us :(
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

[Well, initially, I hadn't figured the shape of the things hands were part of the solution. But what we were doing wasn't paying off, so it had to involve something more subtle. I didn't dig back as far as page 8 looking for clues -- I think the problem is what we've just played through would've been ten minutes at the table, but got spread over four forum pages. Not super manageable. I feel like I am picking up on the art of PbP, but I know I'm still stumbling...]

[Anyway...]

Chendris speaks: "Now that the group is back together, we need to decide: Do we keep wandering around? Or do we specifically seek out that bug-thing and that man and deal with them? We need some tactics either way, if we're going to survive this...

"Those of you used to hunting and stalking -- come up with something...
"

[ :mrgreen: ]
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Yeah... everybody likes different things about games, and to each his own, of course. But I think DCC, and really any good RPG, is about details. Sometimes they're obscure, sometimes not, and certainly there's stuff you'll miss, just like in life. I'm not a sadist though so if things look completely hopeless there's a big chance you've just overlooked some (possibly small) detail. I don't believe in death traps, although I will definitely let regular ol' traps, or creatures, kill off folks who blunder around or are otherwise uncautious.

A new player is going to take over Portly Trim and Fritz.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Thorin and Fosco leave to retrieve the former's pick. Shortly after that, a loud pounding noise and muffled yelling begins emanating from the metal door on the north wall.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

"Guys, please wait here while Fosco and I haed just down the hall to get my pick axe. That yelling north of us does not sound good and I need my waepon to deal with any possible threats." Thorin turns away, with Fosco at his side, and together the head down the hall.

ooc...When you speak of noises coming from the metal door on the north wall you are referring to the door in the room that these two just left?
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Yes.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

OOC...Just let me know when they gathered up the pick. I will than carry on with the adventure. After getting the weapon should I wait till new player joins us. For this adventure is not designed for 4-5 zero level characters?
romprecentor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by romprecentor »

OOC....... Hello all, I will be taking over Portly Trim & Fritz. Thanks to beermotor for letting me join. On with it!

Portly Trim will head to that door where the noises are coming from and listen carefully with his ear against it. Now that we know the secret of opening the door he feels comfortable investigating with a full stomach.

Fritz gathers up himself and begins picking at his teeth (with a little to much gusto) while trying to make sense of something he can't remember.

OOC... Also tried to update the map. Please check for accuracy: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l78s6nwgmjt9y ... %20Map.png
Thanks!
-Adananx the Awesome.

http://www.epicwords.com/campaigns/2077

Pbp Secret of Bone Hill characters:
Portly Trim, Cleric 1st (Barber) L, AC: 11, Str 10, Agi 11, Stm 8(-1), Per 11, Int 8(-1), Lck 12, hp 5, 21 cp, Razor, 2 x torches, large sack, scissors, candle, Improvised wooden buckler.
Fritz, Thief 1st, (Wainwright) C, AC: 10, Str 9, Agi 12, Stm 10, Per 16(+2), Int 12, Lck 13(+1), hp 5, 7 cp, club, flint & steel, lg sack(tomatoes), flask(water), black book, crowbar.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

romprecentor wrote:OOC....... Hello all, I will be taking over Portly Trim & Fritz. Thanks to beermotor for letting me join. On with it!

Portly Trim will head to that door where the noises are coming from and listen carefully with his ear against it. Now that we know the secret of opening the door he feels comfortable investigating with a full stomach.

Fritz gathers up himself and begins picking at his teeth (with a little to much gusto) while trying to make sense of something he can't remember.

OOC... Also tried to update the map. Please check for accuracy: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l78s6nwgmjt9y ... %20Map.png
Thanks!

ooc...Greetings romprecentor! SO glad you can join us. We, as you can tell just started to explore(die). So you did not miss a lot. As for your map. The doors you colored yellow mean discovered/explored rooms? Also, the room were the noises are coming from is from the metal doors above the room you marked as 'egg'. That room, above 'egg', was the room that some of the adventures got locked up in. IMHO
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

The map currently looks good. I think the doors are colored to show material, wood or metal.

The noises from the other side sound like people banging on it and shouting.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

beermotor wrote:The map currently looks good. I think the doors are colored to show material, wood or metal.

The noises from the other side sound like people banging on it and shouting.

ooc...Did Thorin and Fosco get that darn pick yet? If so they will head to where the noise is coming from and along side the rest of the party.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Darrow will take up an overwatch stance, ready with his bow, should an arrow be needed in any direction...

Flavia moves in as back-up for checking the door.

Hector and Chendris spread out a bit and keep their eyes and ears open...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Luckily for Thorin and Fosco, they retrieve the pick without encountering any monsters or men.

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”