The Arwich Grinder

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: The Arwich Grinder

Post by Raven_Crowking »

ABOVE: That's a wooden ladder up, not steps. There is no running up them, and at least one hand is needed.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GlassEye
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GlassEye »

ABOVE: Badr Balik is glad to let some of the others take the lead for a while and holds back with Godwin and Arvandra. "Who knows what we're going to find up there. Very large men of strange demeanor, shrieking ill-used crones, missing babies. I'm almost afraid to go up."

BELOW: Abram Cove finally lets his good sense override his avarice and leaves the onyx cup, the strange carving, and the room behind. He hurries to catch up with Balin, Pratel, and Bill.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Balin and Pratel, make it to the well room. Seeing Bill and Abram Cove following behind, make their way up the well and to the welcoming coolness of fresh air.

ooc...This will take a few turns but they will meet up with the others that are exploring house. Figure it will not be too hard to find them, in the Curwen house, with all the screams and other sounds coming from within it.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

ABOVE: No reply re: stairs/ladder, so I am going to assume that fireinthedust's characters climb the ladder.

there is a loud squeal of alarm, like that of a frightened child, and a slow, ponderous movement can be heard, heading to the west, as the trapper pokes his head into the space above. This attic space appears to be nearly empty, and the attic windows have been boarded over from within. A few barrels scattered here and there – many upended – still contain smears of blood or small gobbets of meat.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

OOC: Yep, after 5pm I'm off the internet these days (sadly), and yesterday I turned in early. However, you are 100% correct: the previously mentioned characters soar up that ladder and, assuming no automatic murders afflict the Trapper, surge eastward after the noises.

Also: buh-waaaaah? Screams in the Curwen house? After we chase random noises into probably secret passages leading into a "people under the stairs" labyrinth filled with the kids the Curwens *didn't* want?! Naaaaaahhhh!
GlassEye
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GlassEye »

BELOW: Abram Cove takes one look at the well and shakes his head. "That ascent looks tricky. We came down a trapdoor and ladder from the slaughterhouse. I'll go that way and meet you in the yard."

ABOVE: Badr Balik peers upwards into the dimness of the attic as the Trapper ascends. He isn't really positioned to see anything but he does expect to hear gruesome things shortly.
drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

Below:
Bill nods "I think the slaughterhouse entrance is better, but wouldn't mind looking down the last hallway, which might go to the house...?"

Above:
Godwin looks to Badr "Is that where they keep the very large men, do you think? They seem more pitiful than menacing..."
GlassEye
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GlassEye »

BELOW: Abram Cove agrees with Bill. "Ok, that northern hallway first. And then that unexplored ladder up. Maybe it comes up in the house and we can find the others there. You coming with us, Balin? Pratel?"

ABOVE: Badr Balik strokes his pointed beard. "That would be a strange place to keep them if they really were fattening them up to... eat. No, I think whatever is up there is something different."
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Hearing what Abram Cove said, Balin and Pratel stop midway up the rope. "Well ok, but I have a bad feeling about this." Pratel continues. " We will follow you guys down that hallway and than to that ladder which leads up and hopefully out of here."
GlassEye
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GlassEye »

"Just a peek, like we did in that last room," says Abram Cove. "I'm glad you're coming with us." He heads off down the hall but cautiously and with his axe held defensively in front of him.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

ABOVE: Apart from the barrels, there is nothing obvious here. Perhaps a pattern to the blood and gore splashed about the floor, but it is hard to tell without entering the attic and looking around. There is no sign of whatever made the noise - and you can see the entire attic.

BELOW: The northern passage goes perhaps 20-30 feet, and then you have a choice between going left or continuing on to the north. Or heading back. The tunnel is narrow enough that you must walk single-file.
SoBH pbp:

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

ABOVE: Apart from the barrels, there is nothing obvious here. Perhaps a pattern to the blood and gore splashed about the floor, but it is hard to tell without entering the attic and looking around. There is no sign of whatever made the noise - and you can see the entire attic.

BELOW: The northern passage goes perhaps 20-30 feet, and then you have a choice between going left or continuing on to the north. Or heading back. The tunnel is narrow enough that you must walk single-file.
SoBH pbp:

GlassEye
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GlassEye »

BELOW: Abram Cove, in the lead and with axe in hand, turns down the left passage.
drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

Below: Bill follows close behind.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The narrow passage goes maybe 40-50 feet before turning to the right. Beyond the turn, one can immediately turn left again or enter into a larger open space ahead, which has hex-shaped stone tiles upon the floor as far as can be seen.
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

ABOVE: The Trapper races up the ladder into the Attic, and looks towards the East. Bron and the others shortly follow.

OOC: Who has the torch? Or do we all have our cell phones to light the way? (And can my guys have iPhones?)
drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

Ooc: well, Bill has infravision...
GlassEye
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GlassEye »

ABOVE: Badr Balik stands next to Godwin as the Trapper and his friends go up the ladder. He's in no hurry to get up there.
drpete wrote:Godwin goes to pick up and light the lamp, pausing for a moment to examine the books.
OOC: Badr put out his torch when he entered the house since he thought it wouldn't be safe, so Godwin's lamp is the light source.

BELOW: Abram Cove chooses the option to turn left instead of advancing into the room with the hex-shaped tiles. He calls back, "We can check out that room first if you'd like."
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Balin and Pratel, follow Abram Cove as he explores. Keeping at least a 7' gap between them and Cove should give them plenty of time to turn tale and leave in case things again get deadly.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

[quote="fireinthedust"]ABOVE: The Trapper races up the ladder into the Attic, and looks towards the East. Bron and the others shortly follow.

OOC: Who has the torch? Or do we all have our cell phones to light the way? (And can my guys have iPhones?)[/quote

Cell phones? Why not use your sonic screwdrivers?!?!

Apart from the aforementioned bloody barrels, gobbets of meat, and gore, you see nothing in the attic. The windows are boarded up. There is a sense of something though, as though there was breathing that was not your own....and was that noise the whimper of a child?
SoBH pbp:

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

[quote="fireinthedust"]ABOVE: The Trapper races up the ladder into the Attic, and looks towards the East. Bron and the others shortly follow.

OOC: Who has the torch? Or do we all have our cell phones to light the way? (And can my guys have iPhones?)[/quote

Apart from the aforementioned bloody barrels, gobbets of meat, and gore, you see nothing in the attic. The windows are boarded up. There is a sense of something though, as though there was breathing that was not your own....and was that noise the whimper of a child?
SoBH pbp:

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

fireinthedust wrote:ABOVE: The Trapper races up the ladder into the Attic, and looks towards the East. Bron and the others shortly follow.

OOC: Who has the torch? Or do we all have our cell phones to light the way? (And can my guys have iPhones?)

(People below, we need to let the people above catch up for a moment.)
Last edited by Raven_Crowking on Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

OOC: (stands up, waves hands, points at GM then sputters with unbridled glee) You heard him! You heard him! I get a sonic screwdriver!!!! Ha haaaaaaa, I use it! I fix the Curwens and ride off in my Tardis!!! (pauses in thought, as if seeing some multiversal vista stretching on through eternal horizons...) Could... could I take levels in TIME LORD?! #bestGMever #explainsthefunnelasregenerations #dibson4thdoctor #TomBakerftw!

IC: Bron curses the lack of lighting.

"Hold, let's see if we can't find a candle before we burst through the darkness. Everyone look around for something for each of us, more lanterns or candles or something."

The trapper peers around in the darkness, hoping he can see something in the other villager's light.

"Oy, lad, can I use that lantern a moment? Or shine some light up 'ere?"

OOC: Should I roll for all my characters?
GlassEye
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GlassEye »

ABOVE: Badr Balik pauses and listens to someone from above shouting for light. "Maybe we should go up. It doesn't sound like anything terrible is happening up there..."
drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

Godwin looks somewhat skeptically at Badr. "It sounded like there was something pretty big up there a minute ago... But you're right, we should join them..." Godwin will follow them up the ladder, holding the lamp carefully.

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”