The Secret of Bone Hill - L1 DCC conversion Play By Post

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, michaelcurtis, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: The Secret of Bone Hill - L1 DCC conversion Play By Post

Post by GnomeBoy »

beermotor wrote:
GnomeBoy wrote:So, uh, he saved completely...?
He was in the other room.... not possible to get them all.
Ah, I had assumed/interpreted his line of sight (and fumbled attack) was at the group, thus we had line of sight to him. So no worries.

...unless I need to mention that Color Spray has a 40 ft range....
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

MrHemlocks wrote:Thorin yells out some crazy ass Dwarven battle cry and attacks the human. He pushes the those in his way out of his way. Than jumps on Jack's lifeless back and flies in the air to slam his shield into the wizards arm. Smashing it and causing him to drop the rod.

With his pick ax he slams it into the man with all his force.

Shield attack... 13+1+3=17. Mighty Deed pulls through. Shield damage...2+1+3=6
Pick attack...16+1+2=19. No Mighty Deed. Damage...2+1=3

total damage=9 & mighty deed works

Fosco, stands there with his mouth wide open and looks at the crazy dwarf.

Not quite how it works, you don't re-roll your deed die, you keep the same as from your mighty deed, but you can't do a second mighty deed. Make sense? So you still add 3 to your attack with the pick, and 3 to the damage. The mighty deed is the shield bash, though, as you declared.

So it's really 6 + 6 = 12 damage, plus the deed effect (a disarm attack).

And, it succeeds... in fact, there's a sound of breaking bones from the impact of the steel shield with the man's fact, shoulder, and arm, and then Thorin lodges the pick solidly in the man's back as he's swinging around/falling down. The rod clatters to the floor and rolls over towards the lifeless body of Jack Nimble, and Timor "the Invincible" falls to the stone floor, seemingly dead.

There's still the matter of the buggers and the ghost, though...
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

GnomeBoy wrote:
beermotor wrote:
GnomeBoy wrote:So, uh, he saved completely...?
He was in the other room.... not possible to get them all.
Ah, I had assumed/interpreted his line of sight (and fumbled attack) was at the group, thus we had line of sight to him. So no worries.

...unless I need to mention that Color Spray has a 40 ft range....
Yeah, nope the range isn't the issue, it's the layout, he was in the east room, the bugs were in the south one. I actually goofed and missed that you said you wanted to target him first, but figured the bugs were a more immediate/scary threat anyway.

It's a moot point now, since the dwarf's fixed that problem. Of course, Flavia's still down...
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

romprecentor wrote:Portly finds his waty up the stairs and sees the man. He gathers himself and casts Word of Command ordering the man to "grovel."

Rolled 4 +1 (5) Fail - Disapproval! Ah!

Fritz rushes past the group and pounces on Jack's body snatching up the weird black sword he has been eyeing for a while. He works his way into the room looking for a chance to backstab the hopefully dwarf distracted man.

OOC: Map updated, please check for accuracy.

Map looks good, though you're missing the downstairs bit, but that's okay for now. The upstairs is reasonably close.

Portly Trim has a sinking feeling as he attempts to command the man, but this is alleviate somewhat after the dwarf quickly dispatches him with a mighty attack.

Fritz scampers over and grabs the black blade. It is so, so light in his hands he can hardly believe it.
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

What is the ghost/apparition doing? Who is it near?
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
Bypeld: Wizard - Alchemist AL:N AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Staff or Longsword +1 (1d4+1) 13/6/9/11/15/8(7)
Orastes: Wizard - Grave Digger AL:C AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Shovel -2 (1d4-2) 4/12/12/10/14/10
Tonunt: Thief - Weaver AL:L AC:11 HP:6 Weapon:Dagger -2 (1d4-2) 5/13/9(11)/5/6/13
Portly Trim: Cleric AC:11
Fritz: Thief AC:10
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Ghost is right in the middle of the group, closest to Cathbad, Fosco, and Orastes...

As for what it's doing, it just rose up the steps this round.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

beermotor wrote:Ghost is right in the middle of the group, closest to Cathbad, Fosco, and Orastes...

ooc...Is it a new round?

If it is a new round Fosco will not attack the ghost but stay clear of it. Instead he will attack one of the bug-like creatures that are laying in the floor. ooc...I am not sure how to attack a prone monster. Is it an automatic hit? Either way he will stick his long sword into the back of it's skull and push real hard)

ooc...Thorin will attack any bugs that are nearest him and standing. If none are standing he will do like Fosco did. Attack the nearest prone bug monster.

Just tell me what I need to roll and when...
romprecentor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by romprecentor »

Init roll: 19, Portly moves to Flavia's aid, kneeling beside her and lays on hands; roll 21 same alignment so heals 4 dice; 4 + 12 + 4 + 10 = 30 Wow! Disapproval is at 2.

Init roll: 4, Fritz raises the black blade and heads back to the hall looking for a bug to stick, evil grin on face. (Would this count as a backstab?) Attack roll: 1d24 = 3 (+3 if a backstab).
-Adananx the Awesome.

http://www.epicwords.com/campaigns/2077

Pbp Secret of Bone Hill characters:
Portly Trim, Cleric 1st (Barber) L, AC: 11, Str 10, Agi 11, Stm 8(-1), Per 11, Int 8(-1), Lck 12, hp 5, 21 cp, Razor, 2 x torches, large sack, scissors, candle, Improvised wooden buckler.
Fritz, Thief 1st, (Wainwright) C, AC: 10, Str 9, Agi 12, Stm 10, Per 16(+2), Int 12, Lck 13(+1), hp 5, 7 cp, club, flint & steel, lg sack(tomatoes), flask(water), black book, crowbar.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

MrHemlocks wrote:
beermotor wrote:Ghost is right in the middle of the group, closest to Cathbad, Fosco, and Orastes...

ooc...Is it a new round?

If it is a new round Fosco will not attack the ghost but stay clear of it. Instead he will attack one of the bug-like creatures that are laying in the floor. ooc...I am not sure how to attack a prone monster. Is it an automatic hit? Either way he will stick his long sword into the back of it's skull and push real hard)

ooc...Thorin will attack any bugs that are nearest him and standing. If none are standing he will do like Fosco did. Attack the nearest prone bug monster.

Just tell me what I need to roll and when...
No bear-bugs are standing, they're both unconscious. You roll d24s to hit. (Unlike the RAW, I rule NATURAL, not modified, 20-24 are criticals, so roll your crits accordingly.) There's one there in the hallway, and another in the egg room.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

romprecentor wrote:Init roll: 19, Portly moves to Flavia's aid, kneeling beside her and lays on hands; roll 21 same alignment so heals 4 dice; 4 + 12 + 4 + 10 = 30 Wow! Disapproval is at 2.

Init roll: 4, Fritz raises the black blade and heads back to the hall looking for a bug to stick, evil grin on face. (Would this count as a backstab?) Attack roll: 1d24 = 3 (+3 if a backstab).

Just one initiative roll per group of characters, and you add your best bonus. The heal only does max of one, since that's what HD she has... so take the first roll, 4.

Fritz, roll a Reflex save, DC 10.
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

INIT: 7

Bypeld slashes at the bug in front of him.

To attack
Rolling 1d24 + 1
( 10 ) + 1 = 11

DMG
Rolling 1d8 + 1
( 3 ) + 1 = 4

Orastes puts away his mirror and faces the ghost gripping his shovel tightly.

Tonunt shrieks in terror as the apparition appears and fumbles in her backpack. She pulls out a grime covered vial and readies to fling it at the ghost.
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
Bypeld: Wizard - Alchemist AL:N AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Staff or Longsword +1 (1d4+1) 13/6/9/11/15/8(7)
Orastes: Wizard - Grave Digger AL:C AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Shovel -2 (1d4-2) 4/12/12/10/14/10
Tonunt: Thief - Weaver AL:L AC:11 HP:6 Weapon:Dagger -2 (1d4-2) 5/13/9(11)/5/6/13
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Fosco and Thorin both attack the bug in the hallway.

Thorin Pick 18 (Avg: 18.0)+1+2=21; Damage 4+1+2=7

Thorin Shield 3 (Avg: 3.0)+1+2=6; Damage(if hit) 2+2+1=5

Fosco Sword 23 (Avg: 23.0)=23; Damage = 3
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I'm a bit lost. Was Cathbad able to get to Jack's sword?

If not, she is disarmed and will do her best to back off, trying to ensure that someone gets the black blade, especially as it may be able to damage the ghost. She does this through frantic screaming to grab the sword.

Sexton Abraham, when he has a chance, will swing with his shovel at the nearest target, but rolls a "6".
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

beermotor wrote:...striking out at Flavia... 2 physical damage, 7 from the explosion/fire... roll a Reflex save, DC 10, to avoid catching on fire.
Nine points of damage -- even with 4 points of healing -- leaves her at 0 hp. Still in the funnel, I take it she's dead, not recoverable. The save seems moot; let's go for the image of her remains on fire... :twisted:

Is Hector anywhere near the black sword? He's staying close to Orastes, to guard his back. If he can go for the sword, he will...
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Sveden wrote:/ooc Fritz picked it up already.
Good.

"Go get that ghost!" Cathbad yells to Fritz.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

MrHemlocks wrote:Fosco and Thorin both attack the bug in the hallway.

Fosco Sword 23 (Avg: 23.0)=23; Damage = 3
that's a critical - roll on the appropriate table for halfling...
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

GnomeBoy wrote:
beermotor wrote:...striking out at Flavia... 2 physical damage, 7 from the explosion/fire... roll a Reflex save, DC 10, to avoid catching on fire.
Nine points of damage -- even with 4 points of healing -- leaves her at 0 hp. Still in the funnel, I take it she's dead, not recoverable. The save seems moot; let's go for the image of her remains on fire... :twisted:

Is Hector anywhere near the black sword? He's staying close to Orastes, to guard his back. If he can go for the sword, he will...
Erm, no... when she goes down, she's at 0. There's no negative hit points state, so far as I'm aware, in the RAW. Somebody want to fact check that for me? I'm pretty sure though. So she's been healed in the round that she went down, so she's at 4, but "dazed" per the rules. She still needs to save to avoid being on fire, though... and that could be a continuing problem until it's addressed.

Fritz nabbed the black sword.
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

/ooc Is she a zero level character? If so zero HP and below is dead.

/ooc If she's a first and up character there can be a luck check to see if she is really dead or just knocked unconscious.
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Sveden wrote:/ooc Is she a zero level character? If so zero HP and below is dead.

/ooc If she's a first and up character there can be a luck check to see if she is really dead or just knocked unconscious.
She's level 1. If she's healed in the same round she goes down, there's no need for a Luck check.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

beermotor wrote:
Sveden wrote:/ooc Is she a zero level character? If so zero HP and below is dead.

She's level 1. If she's healed in the same round she goes down, there's no need for a Luck check.
I was applying funnelness over RAW -- just me being confused by a 1st Level Funnel. :?

Okay, so she's healed up to 4 hp BUT...!

She tries to dodge the direct blast of fire aaaaanddd: rolls a 13 ~whew!~

Smoldering slightly, but NOT on fire, Flavia is on the ground barely propped up on one elbow, panting.

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Hector will smash bugs. Is an 8 a 'hit'?

Chendriss wants to know if the man is possibly still alive, and moves into the room where he is...

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Lucky for Flavia...

Chendris checks, the man's right in front of him in the hallway since he charged out, and yes, he's in very bad shape... dying, perhaps not quite dead yet, but it's certainly not far off. The dwarf broke quite a few of his bones in his face and shoulder.

Chendris notices that the man's clothes appear to be constructed of very sturdy leather, and here and there stained and scorched, though they're not worn or damaged (except for the place in the back where the dwarf's pickaxe went through them).
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

I think I'm getting ahead to 'next round', but Chendriss intends to use his rope to restrain the man, especially his arms and hands, after sliding/pulling him back out of the fray.

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

GnomeBoy wrote:I think I'm getting ahead to 'next round', but Chendriss intends to use his rope to restrain the man, especially his arms and hands, after sliding/pulling him back out of the fray.
Nod, that's fine, but he's going to be really dead here in a few rounds... unless someone heals him.

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”