Are tournament level 0s good for home use w/ few players?

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

stripes
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Are tournament level 0s good for home use w/ few players?

Post by stripes »

For various reasons I'm looking at running DCC RPG with a small number of players (at least at first - I expect I can get more if I can convince the initial group). I have not run DCC RPG before (but I loved the old 3.0/3.5 DCC adventures), and my players haven't played DCC RPG before. So I'm looking for a funnel that works decently with say 2 players and don't think giving them 8+ characters each would work well.

I have #RC3 The Shambling Un-Dead which says it is designed for a tournament with 8 players, and when a character dies to swap that player out for a fresh player (if available) and have the new character emerge from a crate, barrel, or hiding place.

In a normal level zero funnel each player gets ~4 characters and maybe replacements, maybe not (and the party is expected to be pretty huge).

So if I happen to have a table of two players for DCC would it work to break out something like #RC3 and give each player 4 characters and replacements as long as they aren't obviously wasting them? I assume that works mechanically, but has anyone tried something like that? How does it work in practice?

If it doesn't work does anyone have a good suggestion for what to do with only two players? At least one of which is downright excited by the concept of a level zero adventure.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Are tournament level 0s good for home use w/ few players

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I have run The Arwich Grinder with two players, each using 6 PCs.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”